• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Colored in" interior pages
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 8:21 AM, gadzukes said:

Does a colored in page automatically take this down to a 2.0 Blue, or would it get a Green label?

Neither.  In your book's condition (which I estimate to be no higher than about 5.0 VG/FN), crayon markings on a Coloring Page should have no effect (although it definitely should be disclosed if/when the book is listed for sale).  Cut-outs from a Fashion Page (aka a Paper Doll Page) would be a different and much more serious matter, though.  :foryou:

On 5/9/2022 at 11:36 AM, zzutak said:

Neither.  In your book's condition (which I estimate to be no higher than about 5.0 VG/FN), crayon markings on a Coloring Page should have no effect (although it definitely should be disclosed if/when the book is listed for sale).  Cut-outs from a Fashion Page (aka a Paper Doll Page) would be a different and much more serious matter, though.  :foryou:

Thanks

Yes I was thinking 4.0 - 5.0.  

Now if it was high grade, say a 9.0, it would certainly be marked down.... is that correct?

Also.... what if it was a "messy" coloring?

Edited by gadzukes

On 5/9/2022 at 8:36 AM, zzutak said:

coloring a book has no effect?

On 5/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, kav said:

coloring a book has no effect?

If it were on the cover it'd be taken more seriously, but on an interior page it's usually not a big deal as long as it doesn't affect any of the other artwork or stories. 

Edited by The Lions Den

On 5/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, The Lions Den said:

If it were on the cover it'd be taken more seriously, but on an interior page it's usually not a big deal as long as it doesn't affect any of the other artwork or stories. I'd think the effect on a 5.0 would be pretty minimal...

this is blowing my mind right now.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, The Lions Den said:

I hope that's a good thing...  :bigsmile:

sure it means I learned something incredible-always good.
Well almost always-

On 5/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, kav said:

sure it means I learned something incredible-always good.
Well almost always-

Well, part of the reason I'd justify it is precisely because it's a coloring page and it was done in a fairly careful manner. From what I can tell, it's not like it's obscuring anything else.

But from what I can see on the front cover, I personally wouldn't want to venture higher than a 5.0 for this particular book...

On 5/11/2022 at 4:33 PM, The Lions Den said:

Well, part of the reason I'd justify it is precisely because it's a coloring page and it was done in a fairly careful manner. From what I can tell, it's not like it's obscuring anything else.

But from what I can see on the front cover, I personally wouldn't want to venture higher than a 5.0 for this particular book...

are you saying if it was badly colored by a toddler it would affect grade?  Because that raises some strange questions.

Kind of like names or date stamps on the cover; if they are unobtrusive and neat, they probly won't affect the grade much except at very high levels.  If they are big, wide marker strokes across the main characters faces, then they will take more of a hit.

So yeah, I would expect careless scribbling to be dinged more than neat coloring.

But as Lion's Den said, the grade for this particular book is probably capped more by its condition than the coloring within.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:34 PM, kav said:

are you saying if it was badly colored by a toddler it would affect grade?  Because that raises some strange questions.

I'd say that could be a factor, as well as what medium was used.

For example, if it'd been colored in marker that went through the coloring page and into some of the other pages, I'd most likely be seeing it a little differently. 

This is also the kind of flaw where a second and even a third opinion is a good idea...

Interior page grading, if someone is tearing pieces out, cutting pieces out, that would make a book incomplete. Writing someones name, signing on page one, coloring on a pin up page,on a book below fine, it has minimal effect on grade as long as its disclosed.   Scribbling on the front cover is bad, scribbling and making smily faces or defacing characters on interior pages is bad.   Neatly coloring a pin up page, not that big of deal if its below fine and disclosed information. 

Edited by Topnotchman
Spelling again

On 5/11/2022 at 7:50 PM, Topnotchman said:

Interior page grading, if someone is tearing pieces out, cutting pieces out, that would make a book incomplete. Writing someones name, singing on page one, coloring on a pin up page,on a book below fine, it has minimal effect on grade as long as its disclosed.   Scribbling on the front cover bad, scribbling and making smily faces or defacing characters on interior pages bad.   Neatly coloring a pin up page, not that big of deal if its below fine and disclosed information. 

I would agree.  :)

Should an experiment be performed here? Most of these Millies have such pages, yes?

It would be intriguing to see what a nice coloured page vs a not nice coloured page vs an "old" coloured page (assuming CGC would care if it appeared to have been coloured a long time ago or recently) would grade.

Personally I am in the camp of 5.0 for this book....there are some that I feel are much lower. But a messy coloured page I would personally drop to a 4.0

Edited by comicginger1789