• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I knew I should have bought this velum
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Some months ago, I should have bought this John Romita SR velum when I saw it... but necessarily not for the only reasons you would think...

I was already engaged elsewhere in a difficult transaction, and couldn't push my mind to do the move.

I discovered a few days after it had fallen in the wrong hands, well known here, trying to do easy money on it, adding a printed "blank" cover (a fake) under it to make it lot more desirable. An attempt with an outrageous price on it, and with a crude photo manipulation to present it as if he was hold by JR SR.  

This velum has just reappeared now. The @"$&#£ saw he couldn't do the easy money with it, so now he tries to get rid of it.

"What's the problem ?", you will tell me.

Well, the butcher has cut the upper side of this velum to make it suit his custom made cover : 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/958710?tzf=1

Here is like it was (archive of the ebay ad where it appeared first) :

https://originalartcover.com/rare-original-john-romita-sr-art-dr-strange-32-cover-prelim-1991-silver-surfer/

I'm sick of this kind of guys.

If only I could have made the move, to preserve this velum.

Just a velum, okay, maybe, but what an...

Edited by Ecclectica

On 5/13/2022 at 8:41 PM, GreatEscape said:

Even worse, looks like a fake board with “Dr. Strange 32” written at bottom plus a fake Romita signature to complete the snooker.  Uggh.  If so, ComicConnect should pull this down for the fake signature alone. 

Yes, a fake board indeed. I didn't insist on it to make my subject short, but you're perfectly right.

Maybe it's not the fake signature that irritate me the most, but the "Dec, 4, 1986" at the right for a comic published in the 90's...

Nice to see almost nobody fell into the trap...

CC changed their ad a little bit. That helped, but they should do their homework better next time before endorsing this kind of item...

The final price will probably not discourage the trickster to do again this kind of setup in the future, but at least, he had only a small ROI for all his pityful efforts.

Edited by Ecclectica

That piece was up on eBay for several weeks. The seller - not one of the Bros. - would put it up with a starting bid of $1 and then would take it down and relist it the next day. He had two or three other pieces that were also done the very same way - list and end, relist and end… At one point, he had a Buy It Now on it that was in the high five digits and had posted a harsh message to the description about people trying to lowball him and he knew what he had.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:52 PM, Michael Browning said:

That piece was up on eBay for several weeks. The seller - not one of the Bros. - would put it up with a starting bid of $1 and then would take it down and relist it the next day. He had two or three other pieces that were also done the very same way - list and end, relist and end… At one point, he had a Buy It Now on it that was in the high five digits and had posted a harsh message to the description about people trying to lowball him and he knew what he had.

Indeed.

What you're describing add to what I described between his initial purchase of the velum on eBay and the CC ad.

The strange destiny of this velum continues...

...as what seems to be a crude copy is displayed on an Ebay seller's store :

- with a Canadian location : https://www.ebay.com/itm/185559235581

- with an Australian location : https://www.ebay.com/itm/185559261241

... but with the same "stock  number"...

Edited by Ecclectica