• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newbie dabbling , and bought a 9.6 with ink on cover

10 posts in this topic

while I'm not a high grade chaser I assume I got a deal on this book due to the ink,  but I was kind of shocked to see a name Tyler written lightly above the Bagley/Emberlin   to have it grade a 9.6?  is this normal?  the book is really nice besides that no spine issues or corner issues,  but was thinking it'd have a lower grade  .... just looking for long time collectors feedback ... as I'm still learning DSC_0221.thumb.JPG.76de3b3555fb0691c4e05e095e53a214.JPGDSC_0222.thumb.JPG.079678050ae049d655faa71dba94f1fc.JPG

On 5/13/2022 at 2:26 AM, TheRealRussquatch said:

while I'm not a high grade chaser I assume I got a deal on this book due to the ink,  but I was kind of shocked to see a name Tyler written lightly above the Bagley/Emberlin   to have it grade a 9.6?  is this normal?  the book is really nice besides that no spine issues or corner issues,  but was thinking it'd have a lower grade  .... just looking for long time collectors feedback ... as I'm still learning DSC_0221.thumb.JPG.76de3b3555fb0691c4e05e095e53a214.JPGDSC_0222.thumb.JPG.079678050ae049d655faa71dba94f1fc.JPG

Welcome to the boards!

So generally, writing on an older comic (like 1970s or older) is not factored in negatively, and at worse might bump a comic 0.5 grade. A tiny date written, a name neatly written....it is very possible to still obtain a high grade with such a defect because it pertains to the history of the comic (a lot of collectors, myself included, like a date stamp or even a neatly written identifier). Scribbles all over a cover, well that is obviously a different story because that would distract from the appeal of the book much more significantly.

Now, in this book's case, I personally would NOT want any of those things (except maybe a date stamp). Why? It is from the "modern" era, a time when books were being collected and should be pristine to warrant high grade. So in your example, it appears CGC has lessened the stance on such a thing and apply it to every book. I am a bit surprised tho to see this and would have thought 9.0-9.2 would make more sense for such a marking. Can you clearly read "Tyler"? It is hard to see. If it were an ink blotch from printing (that just happens to appear to spell a name), well that is unfortunate but because it is a printing defect, it also does not factor in (aside from keeping a book a 9.8 which, again if this is just an ink spot from printing would mean that is why this book is not 9.8)

Certain collectors think such ink markings should be hit harder (and they can be when they are severe on a book and really distract from the book overall) but CGCs stance on printing defects is to not have them hinder the grade. Unlike grading cards where it is ALL about how nicely a card is printed, centered, etc.

Edited by comicginger1789

It could also just be a mistake grade, Cgc isn’t perfect.

Given the choice I’d return the book asap

On 5/13/2022 at 6:18 AM, lostboys said:

WTF

that's what I thought .. when I got it in hand and saw it wasn't just some blemish ... but was a name lightly written ... and at a 9.6  .. WTF was the first thing that came to mind then I checked the seal to see if some kind of fraud .. but seems good ... just a pure WTF happened LOL 

On 5/13/2022 at 2:26 AM, TheRealRussquatch said:

So is that more ink and dirt by Spidey's left hand?  And color breaking tear(?) lower left corner?  And what's that line from the issue number up to Spidey's foot in the logo? 

Definitely seems like a misgrade.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:10 AM, Sigur Ros said:

So is that more ink and dirt by Spidey's left hand?  And color breaking tear(?) lower left corner?  And what's that line from the issue number up to Spidey's foot in the logo? 

Definitely seems like a misgrade.

yes .. more ink by the left hand .. and the corner is fine that must be a photo flaw .. and the ink is for sure that paper mate blue :/