• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Annual #2 - Manufacturing Process Glue or Whiteout fluid?

28 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, James J Johnson said:

This cover looks to me like it was completely separated from the pages prior to the glue/epoxy/paste job. The book was not manufactured with adherent that would look like that, even if overly and sloppily applied. This sealant is unlike any other I've ever seen used during the 1960s in the assembly/production of these annuals. 

We might as well be discussing a book held together with nuts, bolts, washers, and debating whether or not being manufactured with nuts, bolts, and washers holding it all together is possible. 

This is completely atypical of manufacturing norms and is obviously the byproduct of after-production manipulation. 

+1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, dcollett said:

On close inspection, it appears that the white is the gloss from the opposite side of the inside back cover, as if clear glue in manufacturing process was used, but too much was used, it spilled out of the crack, and glued the inside of the back cover, then when the back cover was opened to read, the glue stripped the surface of the inside back cover off, leaving the whiteness from the paper stripped off on top of the glue

This looks like a classic example of amateur resto. And it's also possible the cover has been married as well...  :gossip:

On 5/17/2022 at 2:43 PM, The Lions Den said:

This looks like a classic example of amateur resto. And it's also possible the cover has been married as well...  :gossip:

No. In this case, that is the cover that this book was manufactured with, which became completely separated and was reglued using either some brand of epoxy that dries "white", or a combination of Elmer's + White-out, maybe even paper glue and white acrylic paint. Seeing what was done and that this is the original, formerly separated cover is easy. To analyze exactly what susbstance or combination of substances was used to reattach the cover would require the book in hand. 

My feeling is that if we had the exterior images of the book, finding an image of it once slabbed could be done, because chances are 95%+ that it once was slabbed with the notes, "cover detached". Either a lesser grade blue label or a middle grade green label, prior to the horrific Frankenglue-job. 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:09 PM, James J Johnson said:

No. In this case, that is the cover that this book was manufactured with, which became completely separated and was reglued using either some brand of epoxy that dries "white", or a combination of Elmer's + White-out, maybe even paper glue and white acrylic paint. Seeing what was done and that this is the original, formerly separated cover is easy. To analyze exactly what susbstance or combination of substances was used to reattach the cover would require the book in hand. 

My feeling is that if we had the exterior images of the book, finding an image of it once slabbed could be done, because chances are 95%+ that it once was slabbed with the notes, "cover detached". Either a lesser grade blue label or a middle grade green label, prior to the horrific Frankenglue-job. 

After giving it another look, I have to agree that this appears to be the original cover. But whenever I see something like this, I'm always suspicious of possible cover replacement. And yes, Frankenglue is a very appropriate term for this cobble-job.  :bigsmile:

And I'm pleased to see that you're using your considerable skills to help others. You could do a lot of good here...     

Edited by The Lions Den

On 5/19/2022 at 1:06 PM, The Lions Den said:

After giving it another look, I have to agree that this appears to be the original cover. But whenever I see something like this, I'm always suspicious of possible cover replacement.

Agreed.  This is not that uncommon when someone glues a cover back in place.

The type of glue used in manufacturing is a cheap form of wood glue (which works well on paper) that tends to dry out and become crumbly in poor storage conditions.  I have seen covers completely detached - no tears, no splits - and the glue left on the cover is like sand.  Years ago it was not an uncommon practice to slap some Elmer's glue on the part that has come unstuck then close things up.  When done judiciously no one will ever know... fortunately most people who do this are not judicious.  It takes just a tiny amount of glue to stick a cover back to the book.  In many cases you get some slop or squeeze that bonds the pages to the cover.  When the book is opened wide again, some of the cover splits off and you end up with paper transfer.  I believe that's what you're seeing here.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, Stronguy said:

Agreed.  This is not that uncommon when someone glues a cover back in place.

The type of glue used in manufacturing is a cheap form of wood glue (which works well on paper) that tends to dry out and become crumbly in poor storage conditions.  I have seen covers completely detached - no tears, no splits - and the glue left on the cover is like sand.  Years ago it was not an uncommon practice to slap some Elmer's glue on the part that has come unstuck then close things up.  When done judiciously no one will ever know... fortunately most people who do this are not judicious.  It takes just a tiny amount of glue to stick a cover back to the book.  In many cases you get some slop or squeeze that bonds the pages to the cover.  When the book is opened wide again, some of the cover splits off and you end up with paper transfer.  I believe that's what you're seeing here.

Good points, Stronguy...  

On 5/23/2022 at 7:52 AM, The Lions Den said:

Good points, Stronguy...  

On this book, it looks like the intent wasn't just to tack the cover back on, but to seal the crack where the cover meets the pages, almost like the use of caulking around a bathtub or tiles, which is what it looks more like than glue, "nothing exceeds like excess", I imagine.