• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you own a comic shop
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Thx Cheech....er Dave.  I will always reach out to the human element first. 

Google will be the end of civilization.  You just watch.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After listening to it, I felt kind of dumbed down or something.  It was a Rogers and Hammerstein musical, but NOT nearly as good.  Give me The Sound of Music any day!!

Edited by Senormac

On 5/15/2022 at 11:05 PM, lighthouse said:

My favorite part of getting this in?

The collection ALSO included the issue of Tales To Astonish that he cut the coupon from to get it.

And in a rare turn of events? The loss on the comic is probably outweighed by the value of the stationery. Doesn’t often happen on coupon cuts.

I would love to see a thread from shop owners about some of the coolest and/or rarest things that have come into their shops (and conversely, some of the weirdest and worst things, or maybe some of the most out-of-touch sellers etc.).

Have any interesting stories to share? It could make a neat YouTube channel too - like a more real-life "Comic Book Men" - although I did enjoy that show for what it was.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I would love to see a thread from shop owners about some of the coolest and/or rarest things that have come into their shops (and conversely, some of the weirdest and worst things, or maybe some of the most out-of-touch sellers etc.).

Have any interesting stories to share? It could make a neat YouTube channel too - like a more real-life "Comic Book Men" - although I did enjoy that show for what it was.

I'm sure most dealers have forgot more than I've seen, but it is nice to see it in writing with pics as well :x

On 5/16/2022 at 7:31 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

If I ever win the Powerball, I'm opening a comic shop - that way I can run it at a loss so I can just keep all the cool stuff that comes in... :roflmao:

Take my money

On 5/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, toro said:

I want to know what was on the flip side.

Probably smooth plastic.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:42 PM, chrisco37 said:

Daredevil has pretty nice handwriting.  

It's depressing when a blind guy has neater handwriting than you. 

The record is also paper thin. Like if someone hands you the envelope with the record inside you will genuinely assume the envelope is empty until proven otherwise.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:31 AM, Garystar said:

The record was available as part of the second Merry Marvel Marching Society membership kit (circa 1967 - 1969). The stationery kit was available by mail order from ads in Marvel comics (circa 1965 - 1967). 

That music seems so completely out of touch with the times.  I mean, Viet Nam was going on.  British invasion in full power.  The rock and roll industry.  Movies.  R rating becoming a thing.  Drug culture.  A lot of MJ being smoked.  And the Jesus people revival too.  

But not........  whatever that was.  It seems to be about 10 - 15 years behind. 

Wonder if Stan had anything to do with it? 

Edited by Senormac

On 5/19/2022 at 12:39 AM, Senormac said:

That music seems so completely out of touch with the times.  I mean, Viet Nam was going on.  British invasion in full power.  The rock and roll industry.  Movies.  R rating becoming a thing.  Drug culture.  A lot of MJ being smoked.  And the Jesus people revival too.  

But not........  whatever that was.  It seems to be about 10 - 15 years behind. 

Wonder if Stan had anything to do with it? 

The truth is, Marvel's main creators were in fact behind the times in many ways, even as they were so far ahead in others.  Just think of how deep into the 1960s Jack Kirby got still drawing all the regular people like they were dressed in the 1950s / early 1960s.

Now, to be fair, it isn't that hard to find plenty of other things going on in popular culture (music, movies, TV, etc.) that might seem anachronistic based on what we think of the 1960s more than 50 years later.  That time period had one of the biggest generation gaps American culture has ever seen, and they were on the wrong side of it (though Stan ended up trying really hard to get on the right side of it).