• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground comic books - I need your advice for buying
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2022 at 7:29 PM, Qalyar said:

Bakersfield Kountry is a cool book, but the three printing were identical

:flamed:

No way to tell at all?  Dang.  I like that one.  I suppose mine is the third print, of course.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:40 PM, Yorick said:

:flamed:

No way to tell at all?  Dang.  I like that one.  I suppose mine is the third print, of course.

Nope, completely indistinguishable. For all practical purposes, pretend it just had one printing of 40k copies. It is a pretty cool book, and I think underappreciated in the market -- just don't pay for one as if it were a 1k or 5k print run rarity.

I love underground comics but only buy them based on the cover/content. I have no expectations they will rise in value.

A few months ago, I passed through a comic book store in Anchorage (Bosco's). They had a sold inventory and I acquired an entire collection of RAW comic/magazine.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, sfcityduck said:

Buy these if they have them in high grade:

345438199_IMG_1160(004).thumb.jpg.087321e6e1daa7a1336a96a0d368931a.jpg

They are:

Reveal hidden contents

The first version to "Maus" to see print and the first appearance of any part of the final version of Maus to see print.

The two issues of Short Order are also basically prototypes to Raw magazine, although of course #1 is way more important for the Maus bit. It's rarer, in my experience, than Funny Animals. The latter had over 30k copies printed (maybe a lot more!), so there are quite a few copies out there.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, Qalyar said:

The two issues of Short Order are also basically prototypes to Raw magazine, although of course #1 is way more important for the Maus bit. It's rarer, in my experience, than Funny Animals. The latter had over 30k copies printed (maybe a lot more!), so there are quite a few copies out there.

Only two copies of Short Order on the census, print run is unknown but small, and you are looking at what is presently the best copy on the census (I have another better copy I have not submitted yet).  The Funny Aminals has got 7 9.8s on the census with a 9.9 as well.  

To be honest "Prisoner of the Hell Planet" is my favorite part of his Maus opus.  It was drawn when Spiegelman was in his early 20s and only two years removed from his mother's suicide.  It is the most raw biographical comic storytelling I've ever seen.  A very very underrated comic.  First appearance of any part of the Maus and an absolute classic in its own right.  It is also the part of Maus that is being used to justify calls for banning Maus from public schools.  Really important work.

Oh and one other thing few people seem to know:  

Spoiler

It is Art Spiegelman's first solo full size comic cover in color.  He'd earlier done some little size covers in black & white - basically like Tijuana Bible size - and collaborated on a cover (basically one panel) with two other artists.

Edited by sfcityduck