• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS: SECRET WARS (2025)
2 2

83 posts in this topic

Why Avengers 5 Will Be a Secret Wars Movie

Despite Endgame’s title, everyone knows it won't be the last Avengers. The team always comes back––and more importantly, the money-making machine that is the franchise won’t stay down forever. So what could be next? Well, all signs are pointing towards a massive adaptation of one of Marvel Comics' biggest events: Secret Wars.

What Is Secret Wars?

The title has been used for more than one tale, with some vastly different than those before. The original one in 1984 involved a cosmic being named The Beyonder teleporting Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains into a place called Battleworld to face off against each other for all of their dreams and desires to come true. In reality, the storyline existed almost exclusively to make more toys. The version of the story that the MCU will almost certainly take most of its queues from is the version from Jonathan Hickman in 2015. The stakes of his story literally couldn’t be higher.

Multiversal Chaos

With its formal introduction in Loki, more vital information was introduced, which pointed the story right towards Secret Wars territory. Jonathan Majors’ He Who Remains has been staving off his Variants from starting another Multiversal war that could destroy all of existence. This certainly sounds like something which will come to pass eventually––much like Thanos’ fateful snap.

As an aside, Kang the Conqueror, the Variant(s) Majors’ character feared, is not normally a Multiverse-centric bad guy in the comics. The timeline and the Multiverse are far more removed from each other than the concepts being taught to audiences in the MCU. Clearly, the finer details are going to work differently than some fans might be used to.

But it seems Marvel is clearly setting him up to not only be one of, if not the villain going forward, but also someone who is the lynchpin to the entire Multiverse. Loki writer Michael Waldron previously stated that Kang “[is] probably going to be the next big cross-movie villain.”

While audiences have only gotten a taste of alternate realities, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness promises to explore the more chaotic side of these ideas. Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda Maximoff is also set to be a key part of the proceedings. 

The Scarlet Witch's previous story, WandaVision, included some foreboding teases, ones that, if they come to pass, could put the fate of the Multiverse on the line––potentially producing the exact environment and conditions needed for incursions to start occurring across existence.

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige also confirmed that the Multiverse will continue to be explored after Doctor Strange’s upcoming film—the madness is here to stay.

Russo's Writing On The Walls

Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame are two of the most successful films of all time, and critically speaking, they tend to be ranked as some of Marvel Studios’ best works. Both films turned out the way they did thanks to their brilliant directors: The Russo Brothers.

Given how well they handled the Infinity Saga’s conclusion, Marvel will undoubtedly be looking for a reason to work with them once again. Luckily for them, the directors have publicly spoken about their desire to helm an adaptation of Secret Wars.

In interviews, the duo has all but confirmed that discussions had been had between them and the studio. So, while the whole Scarlet Johansson lawsuit situation briefly put it all in jeopardy, the recent word from the two brothers indicates the possibility of their return remains on the table.

The Marvel project that they’re talking to Marvel Studios about isn’t confirmed to be anything specific, but given the brother's vocality, the writing is on the wall: Secret Wars.

Edited by Bosco685

Spider-man gets the black costume 80's Secret Wars?

Incursion Secret Wars and we get Miles Morales at the end?

Nick Fury's "Secret War"

Combination of two?

Combination of all three?

I would like to see this. 

On 5/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They did say that they would be willing to come back specifically for Secret Wars. Whether or not that would be a good thing is up in the air.

I couldn't find the original Secret Wars thread we had here because our search engine is dealing with Hydra tampering. It must be Hydra!

But in it was an article about a few years ago when Disney/Marvel realized it didn't completely have the rights to the Secret Wars story. So its attorneys rushed to get Jim Shooter to sign over his rights.

Secret Wars Creator Jim Shooter Details $10,000 Offer From Marvel, Expects Film Adaptation

Former Marvel Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter was recently a guest at the MEGACON convention in Orlando, where the writer potentially let it slip that Marvel Studios is working on a Secret Wars film.

Shooter went on to mention that he was then sent a retroactive work-for-hire contract, which he ended up turning down. Another call then came in, this time from David Bogart, the Senior Vice President of Operations & Procurement of Publishing at Marvel Entertainment. Shooter says Bogart apologized for the previous call, and that the retroactive offer was for $10,000.

According to Shooter, the reason for the contract he was sent is because Marvel was trying to secure the rights to Secret Wars and to prevent any potential legal issues from arising in the future. While Shooter didn’t think Marvel needed to retroactively pay him for the characters, he ended up taking the money, and deduced on his own that a movie is coming at some point.

“This means you’re making a movie, right?” Shooter asked. “I’m not allowed to tell you that,” Bogart replied, according to Shooter. Shooter followed that up with, “Well, I think you just did.”

On 5/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, Bosco685 said:

I couldn't find the original Secret Wars thread we had here because our search engine is dealing with Hydra tampering. It must be Hydra!

But in it was an article about a few years ago when Disney/Marvel realized it didn't completely have the rights to the Secret Wars story. So its attorneys rushed to get Jim Shooter to sign over his rights.

Secret Wars Creator Jim Shooter Details $10,000 Offer From Marvel, Expects Film Adaptation

A measly $10k investment for a billion-dollar idea?

On 5/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, paperheart said:

let's get the rumors started on the next phase because this one is landing with a thud (thumbsu

I don't know if can agree with you on this. This isn't a book speculation play. More than a few reputable sites are noting this as well with the phase progress. And then you have the two directors that have brought billions of dollars to Disney and Marvel Studios. I've heard $6.7B gives someone a voice at the table.

01_Russo_Bros.thumb.PNG.af1ae2e4c918e30c41ea31cb0d3f08d9.PNG

And what did they want to work on?

The Russo Brothers Hint at an MCU Return With SECRET WARS

But in a recent interview, they dropped some nuggets about what an eventual return to the MCU might look like for them. And once again, the Marvel Comics classic Secret Wars was name dropped. It seems that this story is the Russo’s true Marvel endgame (pun intended).

While talking with BroBible (via IGN), the Russos explained the reason why they would like to potentially adapt Secret Wars into a big-screen event. Joe Russo admitted to being obsessed by “the scale of getting all of the heroes together” when he first read the comic book as a kid. And seeing that come to life might be too exciting a prospect to pass up."

Joe elaborated, saying “I also like the idea of villains having to team up with heroes. [Anthony] and I like complicated relationships between heroes and villains, we like villains who believe they’re heroes in their own stories, so it’s all sort of built into this notion of Secret Wars. To execute something on the scale of Infinity War was directly related to the dream of Secret Wars, which is even larger in scale.”

Anthony Russo added his two cents, saying “It would be the biggest movie you could possibly imagine — the ambition of it is even bigger than the ambition of the Infinity Saga.”

On 5/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

I don't know if can agree with you on this. This isn't a book speculation play. More than a few reputable sites are noting this as well with the phase progress. And then you have the two directors that have brought billions of dollars to Disney and Marvel Studios. I've heard $6.7B gives someone a voice at the table.

01_Russo_Bros.thumb.PNG.af1ae2e4c918e30c41ea31cb0d3f08d9.PNG

And what did they want to work on?

The Russo Brothers Hint at an MCU Return With SECRET WARS

oh, i don't doubt that it'll happen but it's conveniently leaked when DS:MOM is fading badly & the previous 3 MCU movies (pandemic hampered albeit) didn't exactly get the juices flowing.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:55 PM, paperheart said:

oh, i don't doubt that it'll happen but it's conveniently leaked when DS:MOM is fading badly & the previous 3 MCU movies (pandemic hampered albeit) didn't exactly get the juices flowing.

What? Did you not see the impact of Eternals?

hm

Edited by Bosco685

I'd pay folding money, as Nick Fury says, to see anything the Russos did for the MCU, especially if they reassembled their team of writers (Markus and McFeeley) and other talented folks behind the camera.  That team served as the tentpole for why the first 3 'phases' of the MCU worked so well, and without them Phase 4 has been merely 'fine' with some hits (I liked WandaVision, What If?. Shang-Chi, Hawkeye, and No Way Home) and a lot of decent but middling misses as well.  To build toward Secret Wars with the Russos at the helm would capture a lot of interest for sure.  Fingers crossed.

Dan