• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to distenguish which version I have?

11 posts in this topic

For my first time ever, I am sending a comic in to be graded. I am also just learning about the whole grading system so my level is definitely newbieish. What I have is a Darth Vader (2015) #3 Fourth Printing. As I am exploring the CGC site, I began looking at the "Collectors Society" and other collectors collections. When I clicked on my comic within a collectors set, it looks like there are over 40 variations. What are the A-1 thru A-5, B-1 thru B-5, C-1 thru C-5 variations? There are also "Apparent" versions with different letters at the end. And then SS A-1 thru A-5, etc. Do I even need to worry about which variation my comic is or does CGC determine that when they go thru the grading process? Any help is greatly appreciate. Thanks for your time!

cgc.png

There's a very good chance that CGC will correctly identify and label your Darth Vader (2015) #3 Fourth Printing comic in the course of their meticulous grading and authentication process.

There's also a very good chance that it could come back labeled as a Little Lulu #7 with white to off-white pages.

(By the way, did you notice the chart you posted is for Darth Vader #4, rather than #3?)

Thanks for the info! Sounds a lot like the grading companies for sports cards.

I was jumping back and forth seeing if the other #'s had those versions as well. Guess I didnt jump back to #3 to take the pic but it will serve its purpose as its the same.

Thanks again!

I hadnt checked that out, but have now. Thanks! Definitely easier on the eyes for the amount of copies graded.

So the A-1 would be the Artist #1 (Jane Doe for example) and then A-2 would be Artist #2 (Bob Dole for example) and so on? Sorry if I am making this out to more complicated than it actually is.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, Travni18 said:

I hadnt checked that out, but have now. Thanks! Definitely easier on the eyes for the amount of copies graded.

So the A-1 would be the Artist #1 (Jane Doe for example) and then A-2 would be Artist #2 (Bob Dole for example) and so on? Sorry if I am making this out to more complicated than it actually is.

You are making it a little more complicated, but that is OK.

The A-1, A-2 etc. are levels of conservation/restoration. None of that matters unless you have a conserved / restored book, which is very unlikely for a modern book. The most likely type would be color touch.

What you need to get is that there are four classifications of grading Universal, Signature, Qualified and Conserved / Restored

Blue Label which means the grade is not qualified in any way - it is a Universal grade.

The other types are Signature (which must be witnessed by a CGC rep or otherwise follow their protocols), Qualified, which means the grade is not Universal, there is some type of latent defect that must be broken out and explained or else the assigned grade would appear to be wrong, and finally Conserved / Restored which means something has been done to the book (pieces added, color touch etc.)

On 5/16/2022 at 12:45 PM, Travni18 said:

For my first time ever, I am sending a comic in to be graded. I am also just learning about the whole grading system so my level is definitely newbieish. What I have is a Darth Vader (2015) #3 Fourth Printing. As I am exploring the CGC site, I began looking at the "Collectors Society" and other collectors collections. When I clicked on my comic within a collectors set, it looks like there are over 40 variations. What are the A-1 thru A-5, B-1 thru B-5, C-1 thru C-5 variations? There are also "Apparent" versions with different letters at the end. And then SS A-1 thru A-5, etc. Do I even need to worry about which variation my comic is or does CGC determine that when they go thru the grading process? Any help is greatly appreciate. Thanks for your time!

cgc.png

Save yourself the headache and buy the book, and others, already graded. If you have one raw, sell it as is and put the $ towards the graded copy.

There are seasoned collectors who find it difficult to have books come back their expected grade. As a newb, there's a high degree of likelihood you will be dissatisfied with everything from the turn around time, to the expected grade.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but IMO this is the best route.

Appreciate the candor! Chalking this up as a learning experience. Figure the comics grade is what it is. I am by no means an expert (even after watching several grading tutorials on Youtube /s) but I'm going to try it out. I will definitely take your words to heart if I start to think about sending any more in.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post!