• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low-grade collectors: is a detached cover a dealbreaker?
3 3

58 posts in this topic

I couldn't find any recent discussions in a search regarding this, so I figured I'd ask. As a current low-grade pre-code collector, I've seen a fair share of nice presenting graded 'cover detached' books - so obviously people think slabbing them has residual value.

I personally stick with the adage "buy what you like", and when it presents nicely in a slab - I don't usually hesitate on detached covers.

However, my curiosity is 1) is it a significant enough defect that despite it being a 1.0 that presents nice, is the perceived value still the same as a hammered 1.0 with cover attached?

And, 2) is there enough people out there that dislike detached covers so much, that it ultimately makes it a discussion point on value within that specific grade? Or does the grade and presentation simply speak for itself regardless of defects when you are down in the 0.5-2.5 range?

On 5/19/2022 at 10:05 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hells no. Not a dealbreaker. I’ll take the hidden defect over the obvious defect every time.

better eye appeal compared to assigned grade? Of course!

same answer for detached centerfolds

This is pretty much where I fall. Eye appeal is not only preferred, but I've paid a premium for the grade if it looks better because of some issue inside. I agree on detached centerfolds as well. If it's complete, I don't mind the issues when it looks nice.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I prefer detached covers...as that is the easiest fault to repair that results in the biggest grade bump. Conservation for important books is under-utilized and often misunderstood by the comic community - but I'm always on board to fix this issue and reap the benefit of having a decent looking book that now can be handled without further damage.

I hadn't put that together, but you are right about the repair. And as an aside for a different discussion - I am all in favor for conservation. I had many a discussion here years ago in some long lost thread about my advocacy of creating a CGC 'conservation' grade that took into consideration the steps to conserve a book as opposed to the types that were restorative. I feel that there is a line between the two, and if CGC called that out, it would result in people opting to conserve books because it may not result in getting hammered with a purple label. There are certain things that can be done to help a book survive the next 100 years that don't necessarily fall into "restoration". Thanks for kicking that memory loose.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I prefer detached covers...as that is the easiest fault to repair that results in the biggest grade bump. Conservation for important books is under-utilized and often misunderstood by the comic community - but I'm always on board to fix this issue and reap the benefit of having a decent looking book that now can be handled without further damage.

Maybe I dont understand...  I thought a detached cover is blue label while a repair will give it a purple restoration label, although with a higher grade. I have a Sgt Fury 1 with a detached cover which I am getting graded and slabbed. I guess I am partial to Blue labels and if it is slabbed, I no longer have to handle the loose cover.

Depends on the book...

For silver age books going into my ASM collection, with the exception of a few yet to acquire that I should just be thankful to have period, I do not want detached covers.

For old books from the 40's and 50's, as long as they present nice enough, it is an exception I am willing to make. For some reason a detached cover bothers me less than a detached page of centrefold. Not sure why....

As for a question of value, I should think that a 1.0-2.0 book that looks great despite the detached cover would sell for much more (and likely will be priced more too) than a complete and attached ragged looking book covered in coffee stains (which should be sold for and valued less than the other)..

On 5/19/2022 at 7:01 AM, Dr. Balls said:

This is pretty much where I fall. Eye appeal is not only preferred, but I've paid a premium for the grade if it looks better because of some issue inside. I agree on detached centerfolds as well. If it's complete, I don't mind the issues when it looks nice.

I'm on board with your thinking. I would rather buy a 9.2 with a centered cover, than a 9.4/9.6 with a shifted cover (shows  white boarder on the left or cuts into any of the text).

On thick GA books, especially one staple books, it doesn't bother me much and detached centerfolds really don't bother me at all on those books.

Once you get to the 1950s though, I want everything complete and together.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, silverweb said:

Maybe I dont understand...  I thought a detached cover is blue label while a repair will give it a purple restoration label, although with a higher grade. I have a Sgt Fury 1 with a detached cover which I am getting graded and slabbed. I guess I am partial to Blue labels and if it is slabbed, I no longer have to handle the loose cover.

A repair can be conserved label (blue/grey, which I prefer as this will be the most structurally sound) but it also is possible a repair will get a pure universal label (several methods to do this). I am truly baffled by people who choose to just slab a super low book just to get a low grade number (when the book could just be kept in archive sleeves or repaired outright to better preserve the item and THEN graded)

Edited by Sauce Dog

For most GA books I'd be fine with a detached cover as long as it's priced accordingly and presents well. There's a couple of runs like the All-Americans where my overall collecting goal is to have a blue label, complete/attached, mid to high grade copy of each book. In those cases I'd only grab the detached copy if it was an incredible deal with the goal of eventually upgrading.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I couldn't find any recent discussions in a search regarding this, so I figured I'd ask. As a current low-grade pre-code collector, I've seen a fair share of nice presenting graded 'cover deMytached' books - so obviously people think slabbing them has residual value.

I personally stick with the adage "buy what you like", and when it presents nicely in a slab - I don't usually hesitate on detached covers.

However, my curiosity is 1) is it a significant enough defect that despite it being a 1.0 that presents nice, is the perceived value still the same as a hammered 1.0 with cover attached?

And, 2) is there enough people out there that dislike detached covers so much, that it ultimately makes it a discussion point on value within that specific grade? Or does the grade and presentation simply speak for itself regardless of defects when you are down in the 0.5-2.5 range?

My AF #15 CGC 2.5 has a detached cover. This allowed me to purchase it for a discount. Once it is a slab, it's hard to tell that the cover is detached. It is noted on the label.

And in regard to CGC slabs versus Mylar with an acid-free backing board, this conversation has been going on for a long time. I am just fine with my AF #15 being inside a slab. I have no intention of reading it. Why, you ask? There are several reasons.

1) I have already read all the stories when I had an AF #15 CGC 0.5. I'm pretty sure that the insides of my 2.5 are the same as the insides of my previous 0.5. Why would I want to run the risk of damaging a very expensive comic book, especially since I read all the stories in a much lower grade book?
2) I have numerous ways to read this issue that do not involve taking my 2.5 out of its slab. There is the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus, which reprints this issue in full. I can also read this issue on Marvel Unlimited.
3) When you slide a book in or out of a mylar bag, there is always a chance that it can be snagged on its way in or on its way out. Yes, I know that virtually all of us would be extra careful to make sure this doesn't happen. But despite our best intentions, accidents can happen.

I am sure that some people will label a heretic, since I can't read any issue at any time I want. I can assure you that I have read every book in my collection. If I haven't read an issue directly (like Adventure Comics #247), I have read the issue in some form using a collected edition. In regard to this particular book, I read the LoSH story in the LoSH Archive.

I know some people will say that there is a lot to be said about the "old-comic smell," but I don't read issues to smell them. I read them because of the story and the artwork. If I really need to experience that "old-comic smell," I could open a book up that has a worth of $10, and get the same experience as opening a book worth $50,000.

I can appreciate how some people want to be able to read a book at a moment's notice. If that's what floats your boat, so be it. For me, due to my age, I sometimes have trouble with having my hands shake, and I am definitely more clumsy than I was when I was 30 years old. I have decided that I am not willing to deal with that type of risk with some of the most expensive books in my collection.

To sum up my feelings, I say, "Different strokes for different folks." It's not my place to tell someone how to deal with his/her collection.

Edited by Math Teacher