• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LCSs worth visiting on my California Road Trip?
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2022 at 12:32 AM, 50 Fiddy said:

I don't know about that.  He told me once that one of his trusted customers ripped off a bunch of his higher dollar books.

The guy did ..he took My spider-man 14 that I had on layaway at the time plus many other high dollar books ..the guy has bad luck …few months ago they rob the store at night .

All of the comic shops I frequented in Southern California during the mid-eighties are gone.:violin:I heard about Golden Apple in the late 1980's? Big place lots of back issues and even bigger prices. When X-Force #1 was released in June of 1991 Golden Apple was on the news for several days showing the lines of people loading up on copies. The news reporters were very direct in criticizing large purchases that people were walking away with. Love to know how many copies Golden Apple had. Anyway, I digress. PHAT Collectables in La Habra is worth seeing. 15-20 minute drive from Anaheim. Lots of new releases tons of action figures and models and dozens of CGC graded books on the wall.  My son and I used go often. Not sure if the hulk is still there but he was super cool. 

No one's mentioned but you can buy comics at Disneyland too or at least you could coming off Star Tours. I had Disneyland annual passes for 7 years and had access to club 33 so I am quite familiar with the Mouse. All the places I visited in the Bay area are sadly gone so I can't help there. Good luck take pictures and give us an update:peace:

IMG_1864.JPG

On 5/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, mytastebud said:

No one's mentioned but you can buy comics at Disneyland too or at least you could coming off Star Tours.

You can, but the books are generally in terrible condition because kids go through them and they're the same issues you would find in an LCS (without the $150 cost of entry).  I was thinking the other day, I wish they solicited Disneyland variant covers for the books they put out.  As a comics and Disneyland fan, that's something I would seek out, though I imagine resale rates would be through the roof because NM copies would probably be difficult to find.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:16 AM, ExNihilo said:

You can, but the books are generally in terrible condition because kids go through them and they're the same issues you would find in an LCS (without the $150 cost of entry).  I was thinking the other day, I wish they solicited Disneyland variant covers for the books they put out.  As a comics and Disneyland fan, that's something I would seek out, though I imagine resale rates would be through the roof because NM copies would probably be difficult to find.

Go early in the day or ask someone for copies in the back. I never had a problem pulling great copies. Problem was keeping em that way. Locker was necessary :shiftyeyes:

On 5/22/2022 at 1:34 AM, fatlab123 said:

The guy did ..he took My spider-man 14 that I had on layaway at the time plus many other high dollar books ..the guy has bad luck …few months ago they rob the store at night .

Damn...that sucks.  I hope he reimbursed you for the loss.  I don't know if it's bad luck or just karma.  The guy can sometimes be a jerk to his customers.  A few years ago he got sucker punched by a guy that just walked into his store.  For a location that doesn't seem so bad, it sure is ghetto.  

On 5/22/2022 at 1:40 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Damn...that sucks.  I hope he reimbursed you for the loss.  I don't know if it's bad luck or just karma.  The guy can sometimes be a jerk to his customers.  A few years ago he got sucker punched by a guy that just walked into his store.  For a location that doesn't seem so bad, it sure is ghetto.  

A worse area than it seems. Lots of crack heads and homeless in that strip mall and area. The owner was hitting a weed pipe the whole time I was there and talking my head off. 

On 5/22/2022 at 2:23 PM, Robot Man said:

A worse area than it seems. Lots of crack heads and homeless in that strip mall and area. The owner was hitting a weed pipe the whole time I was there and talking my head off. 

Jeff is definitely a character.  The place is the weirdest comic book shop I've ever visited.  Either the owner birds are squawking like crazy, him constantly smoking weed, or him blasting his radio to off the neighbors next door.   

On 5/22/2022 at 2:28 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Jeff is definitely a character.  The place is the weirdest comic book shop I've ever visited.  Either the owner birds are squawking like crazy, him constantly smoking weed, or him blasting his radio to off the neighbors next door.   

Yes that happens all the time ..he almost 70 so change is something he isn’t doing 

If you’re in OC, there’s ONLY two shops you need to visit. Comics Toons n Toys and JNJ Comics. Both have extensive back issue longboxes, key wall books, and constant new replenished stock. JNJ constantly has newly priced collections. Many keys and fairly priced high grade books. If they’re damaged keys they’re priced accordingly. Friday and Saturday are the best days to go. Tuesdays he’s prepping for Wednesday releases and shuts off a section of the store for space. Just be polite and get on his good side. Frank & Sons is so terrible. There’s probably 10 comic vendors and all high retail pricing. 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, alexgross.com said:

@piper hope you and your family are having a lovely trip! i recommend din tai fung if you like chinese food and are still in OC or LA-

Next time! We are heading up to Ventura Beach tomorrow. I hope to hit a good dim sum  place in SF.  Even better would be some good xiao long bao.

Will post some more pics over the next couple of days.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:23 PM, piper said:

Next time! We are heading up to Ventura Beach tomorrow. I hope to hit a good dim sum  place in SF.  Even better would be some good xiao long bao.

Will post some more pics over the next couple of days.

@piper, this is my favorite dim sum place in SF…great food at reasonable prices…

https://lhklounge.com

It's sunny today in SF.  So you are picking a good time to come around. Here's my suggestions:

Comic related places to visit if you kids have the patience:

(1) Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. Cool collection of all things Disney as compiled by Walt, passed down to his kids, and put in this museum. They also have special lectures and movies. A nice compliment to Disneyland.  It is in the Presidio, which also has great views and things to do including Colibra mexican restaurant (great green Pazole) and often food trucks or vendors. Plus its adjacent to Crissy Field which has great views of the Bay and also climbing gyms and trampolines or rent bikes at Sports Basement if your kids need some exercise or go to Fort Point with really cool views of sort of under the Golden Gate Bridge; and

(2) Cartoon Art Museum but can be hit or miss so check out the exhibits at their website.

Things to do in SF:

(1) Golden Gate Park especially Japanese Tea Garden, DeYoung, and Academy of Science, which is also adjacent to:

(2) Haight with Amoeba Records, shops;

(3) Dim Sum - My pick is Yank Sing;

(4) Mission - Funky stores and great "Mission Style" burritos at La Cumbre, La Tacqueria, etc.

(5) Go touristy and ride a Cable Car and hit Ghiradelli/Hype Street Pier/Fisherman's Wharf - no shame in doing that.

Things to do outside of city:

(1) Golden Gate National Recreation Area highlights are Marin Headlands (free - especially the big battery gun emplacement site immediately across the GG Bridge (right hand exit but its up and to the left) and then to the backside of the ridge for beautiful country that includes a Nike Missle site, beaches, etc.); Muir Woods and Muir Beach (need reservation for MW) for Redwoods, Ocean cliffs, beautiful hikes; Stinson Beach if its hot; Point Bonita light house; Point Reyes lighthouse (also adjacent to great seafood places on east shore of Tomales Bay like Hogg Island Oysters);

(2) Alcatraz or any Ferry tour of the bay;

(3) Berkeley (Escapist is not a bad store).

On 8/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

It's sunny today in SF.  So you are picking a good time to come around. Here's my suggestions:

Comic related places to visit if you kids have the patience:

(1) Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. Cool collection of all things Disney as compiled by Walt, passed down to his kids, and put in this museum. They also have special lectures and movies. A nice compliment to Disneyland.  It is in the Presidio, which also has great views and things to do including Colibra mexican restaurant (great green Pazole) and often food trucks or vendors. Plus its adjacent to Crissy Field which has great views of the Bay and also climbing gyms and trampolines or rent bikes at Sports Basement if your kids need some exercise or go to Fort Point with really cool views of sort of under the Golden Gate Bridge; and

(2) Cartoon Art Museum but can be hit or miss so check out the exhibits at their website.

Things to do in SF:

(1) Golden Gate Park especially Japanese Tea Garden, DeYoung, and Academy of Science, which is also adjacent to:

(2) Haight with Amoeba Records, shops;

(3) Dim Sum - My pick is Yank Sing;

(4) Mission - Funky stores and great "Mission Style" burritos at La Cumbre, La Tacqueria, etc.

(5) Go touristy and ride a Cable Car and hit Ghiradelli/Hype Street Pier/Fisherman's Wharf - no shame in doing that.

Things to do outside of city:

(1) Golden Gate National Recreation Area highlights are Marin Headlands (free - especially the big battery gun emplacement site immediately across the GG Bridge (right hand exit but its up and to the left) and then to the backside of the ridge for beautiful country that includes a Nike Missle site, beaches, etc.); Muir Woods and Muir Beach (need reservation for MW) for Redwoods, Ocean cliffs, beautiful hikes; Stinson Beach if its hot; Point Bonita light house; Point Reyes lighthouse (also adjacent to great seafood places on east shore of Tomales Bay like Hogg Island Oysters);

(2) Alcatraz or any Ferry tour of the bay;

(3) Berkeley (Escapist is not a bad store).

We will be doing Alcatraz (thankfully booked tickets months ago). I’m looking forward to checking out the Mission district.