• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LCSs worth visiting on my California Road Trip?
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

It's sunny today in SF.  So you are picking a good time to come around. Here's my suggestions:

Comic related places to visit if you kids have the patience:

(1) Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. Cool collection of all things Disney as compiled by Walt, passed down to his kids, and put in this museum. They also have special lectures and movies. A nice compliment to Disneyland.  It is in the Presidio, which also has great views and things to do including Colibra mexican restaurant (great green Pazole) and often food trucks or vendors. Plus its adjacent to Crissy Field which has great views of the Bay and also climbing gyms and trampolines or rent bikes at Sports Basement if your kids need some exercise or go to Fort Point with really cool views of sort of under the Golden Gate Bridge; and

(2) Cartoon Art Museum but can be hit or miss so check out the exhibits at their website.

Things to do in SF:

(1) Golden Gate Park especially Japanese Tea Garden, DeYoung, and Academy of Science, which is also adjacent to:

(2) Haight with Amoeba Records, shops;

(3) Dim Sum - My pick is Yank Sing;

(4) Mission - Funky stores and great "Mission Style" burritos at La Cumbre, La Tacqueria, etc.

(5) Go touristy and ride a Cable Car and hit Ghiradelli/Hype Street Pier/Fisherman's Wharf - no shame in doing that.

Things to do outside of city:

(1) Golden Gate National Recreation Area highlights are Marin Headlands (free - especially the big battery gun emplacement site immediately across the GG Bridge (right hand exit but its up and to the left) and then to the backside of the ridge for beautiful country that includes a Nike Missle site, beaches, etc.); Muir Woods and Muir Beach (need reservation for MW) for Redwoods, Ocean cliffs, beautiful hikes; Stinson Beach if its hot; Point Bonita light house; Point Reyes lighthouse (also adjacent to great seafood places on east shore of Tomales Bay like Hogg Island Oysters);

(2) Alcatraz or any Ferry tour of the bay;

(3) Berkeley (Escapist is not a bad store).

All fine activities.

I always hit Moe’s Books in Berkeley when I’m in town as well. 

On 8/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

(1) Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. Cool collection of all things Disney as compiled by Walt, passed down to his kids, and put in this museum. They also have special lectures and movies. A nice compliment to Disneyland.  It is in the Presidio, which also has great views and things to do including Colibra mexican restaurant (great green Pazole) and often food trucks or vendors. Plus its adjacent to Crissy Field which has great views of the Bay and also climbing gyms and trampolines or rent bikes at Sports Basement if your kids need some exercise or go to Fort Point with really cool views of sort of under the Golden Gate Bridge

Should you decide to head to the Presidio, the Tunnel Tops park recently opened, and I heard it's pretty cool...need to find time to check it out one weekend.

https://www.presidiotunneltops.gov/

Looks like you're having a great time on your trip so far, @piper!

On 8/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, piper said:

We will be doing Alcatraz (thankfully booked tickets months ago).

It's been a while since I've been to Alcatraz, but I would highly recommend doing the audio tour...

The first time I went a friend suggested that I do it, and it added so much color and information to my visit that I did it again the second time I went!

I’ve been hanging out in Ventura Beach the last couple of days. Fun little beach town. I can’t say I’ve seen this many restaurants or thrift shops in a 3 or 4 block radius before.

I managed to squeeze in Arsenal Comics today which is about 10 minute drive from the beach.  Nothing Uber expensive, but it has a surprisingly good amount of silver and bronze. Books look to be priced a little high but it appears the owner has a little wiggle room in his pricing.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, silverseeker said:

Should you decide to head to the Presidio, the Tunnel Tops park recently opened, and I heard it's pretty cool...need to find time to check it out one weekend.

https://www.presidiotunneltops.gov/

Looks like you're having a great time on your trip so far, @piper!

Thanks and appreciate all the suggestions!

On 8/17/2022 at 9:01 PM, piper said:

On to SF tomorrow… not looking forward to the drive. 

(As an aside, I wish we had In and Out Burger back home. I don’t think that I’ve ever had a better fast burger anywhere else.)

Should be a smooth probably 4-1/2-5 hour drive from Ventura.

If you really want to experience the true beauty of CA, you need to take Highway 1 up through the redwoods and along the Awsome coastline. Yes, a longer drive but great places to stop.

Enjoy your trip and drive safe! 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, alexgross.com said:

@piper hope you and your family are having a lovely trip! i recommend din tai fung if you like chinese food and are still in OC or LA-

Great, you've made me hungry.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:23 PM, piper said:

Next time! We are heading up to Ventura Beach tomorrow. I hope to hit a good dim sum  place in SF.  Even better would be some good xiao long bao.

Will post some more pics over the next couple of days.

Din Tai Fung is Xiao Long Bao.  They are pretty much the standard by which other XLB places are measured.  There's a location in Santa Clara/SJ at the Westfield Valley Fair Mall.

On 8/17/2022 at 9:01 PM, piper said:

On to SF tomorrow… not looking forward to the drive. 

(As an aside, I wish we had In and Out Burger back home. I don’t think that I’ve ever had a better fast burger anywhere else.)

This is the point people seem not to understand anytime there's a discussion about In n Out vs Shake Shack vs Five Guys.  I know we as Californians sometimes hype it up as the greatest burger (it's not), when really what we mean is it's a great burger at that price.  A double double animal style is cheaper than a McDonald's Big Mac, but it's probably about 10 times better in terms of taste.  Just skip the fries (or ask for them crispy).

When you get to the Shake Shack/Five Guys price, you're better off going to a more specialized burger joint like The Counter.

Anyways, glad you appreciated and enjoyed In n Out for what it is.

I recommend Funny Business in Pomona. I live in WI, but in May I was in the Rancho Cucamonga area for a week, and discovered Funny Business. Father and son run it, and it has been around for a long time. Lots of back issues, and talking with the owners was a blast. 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:02 PM, ExNihilo said:

This is the point people seem not to understand anytime there's a discussion about In n Out vs Shake Shack vs Five Guys.  I know we as Californians sometimes hype it up as the greatest burger (it's not), when really what we mean is it's a great burger at that price.  A double double animal style is cheaper than a McDonald's Big Mac, but it's probably about 10 times better in terms of taste.  Just skip the fries (or ask for them crispy).

When you get to the Shake Shack/Five Guys price, you're better off going to a more specialized burger joint like The Counter.

Anyways, glad you appreciated and enjoyed In n Out for what it is.

Five Guys is way overrated in my opinion.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions that everyone shared for my family’s California adventure. 

SF was awesome. We did, saw, experienced, and ate a lot.

I didn’t get an opportunity to hit any comic venues in NoCal but maybe next time.

I thought I would share a couple of thoughts as I eat my Molinari’s take-out sandwich and we wait for our plane.

Some highlights in SF included:

Pizza at Tony’s in North Beach

Alcatraz

MOMA (Diego Rivera exhibit)

Golden Gate Bridge

Powell-Hyde Cable Car

Twin Peaks view of Downtown 

Mexican in Mission District

We took the kids to Fisherman’s Wharf which I instantly regretted but it’s part of the experience right?

I wish we had more time to explore Golden Gate park and the Presidio. Both looked gorgeous.

Our hotel in Union Square was very close to the Tenderloin. I didn’t feel unsafe nor did it hamper our experience, but the number of people sleeping rough was tough to see.

SF is one amazing city. Hopefully, I can catch a Giants game next time we visit. 

Best,

John. 

B23EEBEA-ECCA-4488-8E04-60207B2C0A7F.jpeg

F7A21E75-EFEB-4B81-975C-C1B7F0B0EC90.jpeg

Edited by piper