• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weekly comic release schedule from years ago?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a site that lists what comics hit the shelves on a particular week years ago (like the 80s)? I've been tossing around the idea of a side goal of collecting all the books that hit the shelf the week I was born. I tried searching around online, but I couldn't find any lists/schedules older than 4ish years ago.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:41 AM, Cocomonkey said:

I've been tossing around the idea of a side goal of collecting all the books that hit the shelf the week I was born.

Hopefully you weren't born near August of 1962...

What year are you looking for?  It will be easy to track down which Marvels and DCs were distributed which week but the indys could vary depending what distributor a store used.  Glenwood might distribute a Comico book one week, and Capital would release it a week later.  At one point, there were about a dozen big distributors and dozens of sub-distributors and most used trucks. Then some switched to planes and the rush to be the first to the stands was on.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:01 PM, shadroch said:

What year are you looking for?  It will be easy to track down which Marvels and DCs were distributed which week but the indys could vary depending what distributor a store used.  Glenwood might distribute a Comico book one week, and Capital would release it a week later.  At one point, there were about a dozen big distributors and dozens of sub-distributors and most used trucks. Then some switched to planes and the rush to be the first to the stands was on.

Most comics have official release dates, regardless of what distributors or retailers did.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:01 AM, kazoo said:

I don't know about weekly but this link allows you to see the books on sale in any given month dating back to the 30s ...

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php

Mike does show actual dates for individual issues, but you have to look closer for that since there's no option to sort by week.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:01 PM, shadroch said:

1984, September, first week

Sorry, meant to come back to this yesterday but work just kind of blew up. I was born over the weekend, so I'm a little torn between what was on the shelf already (first week in Sept) or what hit the shelves right after (second week), but am leaning more towards the first week. Mainly just the Marvel and DCs; I'm less interested in the indies. I checked out the Mike's Amazing World link and it looks like that could work, I just need to click through each book in that month to check the on sale date (it lists them on the individual book's page). Thanks for the help!