• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you content with your collection?
2 2

61 posts in this topic

I started collecting late so nowhere near done! I have noticed now though after 5 years, is that I have a 'type'. i.e. there's certain pages that I gravitate towards over others. I'm happy with what I have but what my collection's missing are good examples of these pages I like featuring certain characters or by certain artists. It's almost as if my collection is dictating what I should collect!

Generally, I’m content with the state of my collection. However, I have myself a bit jammed up, in order to complete a couple of collection goals, I would have to part with some pieces that mean a lot to me so it’s has me stuck in neutral. I traded or sold art to upgrade the collection, but now all the easy choices have been moved. 

In an ideal world, I would have a bit move movement in my collection to keep it from getting stale. I’m starting to come with terms with me not adding more nostalgic based pieces (at least that’s what I tell myself) and settling for more modern pieces.

I’d say I’m 7 out of 10 on the contentment scale.

Am I content with my collection?  For the most part, yes.  I've become more focused on my wants, and have a long term goal / dream for specific pages that my never happen, but I do have my Sandman grail, so there's always hope.

Sure, there's a ton of things I would like to have, but the reality of being able to obtain them has been going by the wayside price wise for a long time.  Sure, there is still affordable pieces out there that do interest me, but I just haven't gone in on them yet.  I have been enjoying the occasional commission when I have been able to get them as well.

I'd probably be a 8.5 / 10 if we were grading.

I was probably content with my collection about 20 years ago, (I've now just passed the 40 year mark in collecting OA), and then started selling off a lot of art to help fund big lifestyle changes . . . the last big sell-off allowing me to retire 7 years early from working life  - and I was VERY content with that one!  :cloud9: 

I still retain a lot of OA important to me, but there are few comic-art items in today's market of spiraling prices that I will actively pursue.  Nowadays I'm more into collecting Movie Poster OA (generally, more affordable), though I did manage to buy a Ditko ASM splash and some more Demon With a Glass Hand pages in recent times.  :luhv:

Comic Art Gallery of Terry Doyle at ComicArtFans.com

Edited by The Voord

Content? No. Frustrated? Yes. Since I focus on one character, who isn’t that commonly drawn, I have spent years looking for what should be relatively cheap pieces by different artists to fill holes in my collection. The big stuff, like Adams, are covered; they always get advertised. But little things, like a page from Shadowpact or early 1980’s Superboy, where are you hiding? And then there are the worst of the worst— where something has come up which I missed seeing (or felt was too pricey at auction), or wasn’t good enough to add and then never found another one. Skipped a few Perez’s to my regret for those reasons. That last lesson is one I have mostly learned, recently buying a mediocre page for Tanghal inks, but I hate the lesson. And then, there are the sweet victories, like a Sienk cover with both PS and the Spectre on it that I chased for 4 years, or a 4:00 AM find on CAT which I have never seen duplicated. Oh, and let’s not forget artists who don’t sell their stuff or do it electronically. Do I get a commission from them as a replacement? 

Do I feel content with what I bought? Well, I like what I have, but the thrill is the hunt.

Short list of stuff I would like to add to my collection but if it doesn’t happen, I will be okay

Romita Spiderman - heck I will take a panel page

Ditko Spiderman - this is not happening I suspect

Jack Davis - EC or even some of his other stuff, kind of like his painted stuff

Johnny Hart - BC strip, but got to be the right one

Brant Parker - Wizard of Id

George Herriman - Krazy Kat

although content I did buy a Sienkiewicz Hendrix page, then regretted it immediately thinking I should have gone bigger but you can only choose to buy or not buy what is available not what you wish it was instead

forget it! NOT CONTENT NOT CONTENT! I have been on two commission lists for a decade+ (no payment) and would really like to add those 2 pieces - Art Adams & JHW3. Why I don't say 3 and include Travis Charest I don't know because I was put on that list by SMorger as well but it seems a dream now, a wisp of fantasy mixed with reality mostly because I have never seen Travis or Steve again after that show while the other 2 know I am here and AAdams actually said he might be able to work it in soon.

And as a Doc guy I know I am supposed to want a Ditko, and I do, but I want an Everett even more. That would be groovy.

Edited by Bird

now y'all got me thinking...I do actually need something else. A Mark Chiarello painted commission...we communicated in the past and he did say perhaps some day so I would like that to happen. Maybe I'll get on it later in the summer when consignment cash is flowing

Mrs Corben told me not now but maybe once as well. Woulda been content after that I bet. Darn content.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:11 PM, Bird said:

Why I don't say 3 and include Travis Charest I don't know because I was put on that list by SMorger as well but it seems a dream now,

Back in 2018 Steve told me doesn’t represent Travis anymore so I wouldn’t expect anything to come out of that “list.” Also, TC is notoriously known for his lack of output, but I’m sure you knew that already.