• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Guide
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just looking at the last grading contest; CGC grades were in accordance with a very small percentage of independent graders, suggesting that it's not all that hard to grade better than CGC.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:05 PM, The Meta said:

You live stream sales?

Every Wednesday from 7:00 - 9:00 pm CST.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:32 PM, MrBedrock said:

This is an ad we submitted to CGC for inclusion in their upcoming grading guide. They rejected it. They had a problem with the last blurb balloon. No sense of humor at CGC...

CGC AD BEDROCK V2.jpg

I bet you also damage less books per year.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:50 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

CGC is publishing a grading guide? 

lol

On 5/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, Axe Elf said:

Just looking at the last grading contest; CGC grades were in accordance with a very small percentage of independent graders, suggesting that it's not all that hard to grade better than CGC.

If CGC is smart they will use the data collected from a large number of these contests to improve their own grading standards so they are more in line with the people paying them. Keeping customer happy with your product so they come back and spend more and more and more should always be the priority for a business and it’s how you keep competition at bay

???  so you're saying CGC should change their grading to match collectors? Those of us around 22 years ago who quickly realized we didn't know how to grade our books honestly, accurately and consistently would beg to differ.  We had boxes full of NM comics that in reality were 7.0s etc.  Sure there have been hiccups in 22 years, and honest disagreements with their methodology, but to reverse course wholesale based on the results of people grading SCANS of comics they've never seen in hand?

Nobody should ever ship books encapsulated upside down, or be told to just conform to the masses as you are suggesting.

On 5/25/2022 at 10:46 PM, comicginger1789 said:

If CGC is smart they will use the data collected from a large number of these contests to improve their own grading standards so they are more in line with the people paying them.

I'm sorry, but this is a completely idiotic idea. Just because I frequent a restaurant does not mean that I am qualified to rearrange their menu. The vast majority of people who use CGC's services have no idea how to grade. That's (in-part) why CGC exists in the first place. It's not a commune.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm sorry, but this is a completely idiotic idea. Just because I frequent a restaurant does not mean that I am qualified to rearrange their menu. The vast majority of people who use CGC's services have no idea how to grade. That's (in-part) why CGC exists in the first place. It's not a commune.

Upon reflection, you are right. They need to have their own standards and follow them. I think what I was trying to go for was the idea that maybe they should soften their stance on certain flaws that majority of the community feels acceptable with (and to my knowledge, over time they have done this with things such as tape and other defects). But my post seemed to suggest that "hey I think this is 9.8, so should CGC" and that they should pander to that....so that's my fault for not being clear.