• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What really happened to the Sub-Mariner between 1955 until 1962?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, Jayman said:

Love the complacent 50’s attitude with the “lesson learned”. Don’t ever explore or challenge yourselves and live your life with your head in the sand! :facepalm:

BD4C8262-0DB1-47CC-9500-C9458A163827.jpeg

ha!  I hear you but I think its more like don't worry kiddies, the strange fish man won't bother you again.

Edited by Bronty

Subby is not alone.  Human Touch and Captain America were revived once again in 1950's but were canceled.

Stan Lee brought Subby then Captain America back.

n the post-war era, with the popularity of superheroes fading, Captain America led Timely's first superhero team, the All-Winners Squad, in its two published adventures, in All Winners Comics #19 and #21 (Fall–Winter 1946; there was no issue #20). After Bucky was shot and wounded in a 1948 Captain America story, he was succeeded by Captain America's girlfriend, Betsy Ross, who became the superheroine Golden Girl. Captain America Comics ran until issue #73 (July 1949),[18] at which time the series was retitled Captain America's Weird Tales for two issues,[19] with the finale being a horror/suspense anthology issue with no superheroes.

Atlas Comics attempted to revive its superhero titles when it reintroduced Captain America, along with the original Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner, in Young Men #24 (Dec. 1953). Billed as "Captain America, Commie Smasher!" Captain America appeared during the next year in Young Men #24–28 and Men's Adventures #27–28, as well as in issues #76–78 of an eponymous title. Atlas' attempted superhero revival was a commercial failure,[20] and the character's title was canceled with Captain America #78 (Sept. 1954).

For Subby,

The Sub-Mariner experienced a brief revival in the mid-1950s at Atlas Comics, the 1950s iteration of Marvel. Along with Captain America and the original Human Torch, he was revived in Young Men #24. Soon afterward, Sub-Mariner was revived with issues #33–42 (April 1954 – Oct. 1955).[16][17] During this time, Namora had her own spin-off series.

A planned live-action television program starring Namor did not appear and the revival of the comic book series was cancelled a second time.[18][19]

On 5/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I heard he swam too far north and was frozen in the ice during those years.

MCU seems to be retconning origin of Sub-mariner linked to the collapse of Aztek empire. Why? Because Atlantean rhymes with Aztekian?:deadhorse:

On 5/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, aardvark88 said:

MCU seems to be retconning origin of Sub-mariner linked to the collapse of Aztek empire. Why? Because Atlantean rhymes with Aztekian?:deadhorse:

He's been rumored for Black Panther 2, and this change would be weird to me.  Wakanda is fictional, Atlantis is fictional (blasphemy), but Aztecs are real.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, MattTheDuck said:

He's been rumored for Black Panther 2.  Wakanda is fictional, Atlantis is fictional (blasphemy), but Aztecs are real.

Yes, Aztecs and Mayans are real. Guess MCU wanted to put Atlantis on same latitude as Wakanda going back to Pangean times that way Atlanteans are neighbors with Wakandans? Now where did the scientists find the 'real' Atlantis this year?

On 5/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I heard he swam too far north and was frozen in the ice during those years.

Trying to find the Northwest Passage I suppose?  Luckily thanks to global warming he got thawed out just in time for The Marvel Age of Comics!

On 5/26/2022 at 6:04 AM, Jayman said:

Love the complacent 50’s attitude with the “lesson learned”. Don’t ever explore or challenge yourselves and live your life with your head in the sand! :facepalm:

BD4C8262-0DB1-47CC-9500-C9458A163827.jpeg

Come on down, the sands just fine….

1684F2E2-BEBF-41C8-9F7C-BE5B35094CC1.gif.18cc0e92bc9c185acba0c7cafbde741a.gif

Just want to clarify that the Atlas attempt to revive these superheroes took place during the Atomic Age. The Golden Age ending coincided with the end of the Second World War.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:13 PM, bronze johnny said:

Just want to clarify that the Atlas attempt to revive these superheroes took place during the Atomic Age. The Golden Age ending coincided with the end of the Second World War.

I’m fine with using the Atomic age myself but there’s a number of people I’ve met that refuse to acknowledge it as a legit age. I can see the logic since golden age  era wasn’t intended to be a period covering the war (and it doesn’t in reality) so it’s kind of being forced in there. But that’s another thread in itself…:nyah:

On 5/27/2022 at 12:24 AM, N e r V said:

I’m fine with using the Atomic age myself but there’s a number of people I’ve met that refuse to acknowledge it as a legit age. I can see the logic since golden age  era wasn’t intended to be a period covering the war (and it doesn’t in reality) so it’s kind of being forced in there. But that’s another thread in itself…:nyah:

Agree. The people that I’ve discussed this with who believe the 1950s are the Golden Age need to study the history of America during the postwar era. The fears, anxieties, and new challenges coinciding with the Atomic and later Hydrogen bombs along with the rise of communism and the Cold War make period following the Second World War is what faced Americans. Superheroes who fought the Axis powers in the comics shifted to fighting crime in the postwar era as the Crime Comic Books led by Gleason’s “Crime Does Not Pay” became the most popular genre. Horror and Romance comics would follow with ACG’s “Adventures Into the Unknown” and Prize’s Young “Romance.” What then follows is the greatest comic book of the 1950s to capture the fears and anxieties of the 1950s, EC Comics. Anyone who believes EC Comics are Golden Age need to study the era and read them. Finally, how could anyone argue that the Golden Age ended when Showcase 4 was published in 1956? Golden Age immediately becomes Silver Age? Really? These boards don’t help by conflating in one forum Atomic Age comics with those published in the Golden Age. They need to be a separated. That being said, it’s now back to the focus on Nerv’s excellent topic!