• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing OA Opinion - Show Entire Board?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm just starting the process of getting some of my art framed, and I wanted to get some people's opinion on something

When you frame your OA do you like to keep the entire board visible, or do you frame it so only the actual art itself is visible/mat covers up the entire margins outside of the art?

I'm not sure myself which I prefer, I can see benefits of both options, so wanted to solicit some opinions and see what others think

Thanks!

It really depends on the piece in my opinion.  Is there a signature(s), and do you want it/them to show in the framed piece?  How far out does the ink go?  What color mat (matte, matt) are you using, and how does that relate to the art on the board.  Maybe post a pic of the art and perhaps we could offer better advice.

I've done both, but it really depends on what the art is dictating it needs based on what the artist left on the board.

I always show off the full board.  I think it adds to the presentation.  I also enjoy that when people see it they tend to ask questions about it and understand what it is.  I always feel that if someone sees just the framed image they think it's just a copy that I framed...

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6832.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, Drewsky said:

I have some traditionally framed pieces, but also like the swap-ability of these sign holders. Easy way to show off bag and boarded art and also comes in different styles of frames, vertical, horizontal and self standing. 

frame 1.JPG

frame 2.JPG

frame 3.JPG

What’s the room like? I’d be very worried about offgassing and uv exposure with those. 

I prefer showing the entire board when I frame.  When I had my first original art piece framed, unfortunately, I opted for hiding some of the board because it cut unevenly at top (as these pieces often are) but have since changed that with the subsequent pieces I have had framed.

For the most part, anything I have framed these days is simple black and white frame showing the full board.  I do that for black and white pages and color too.  Just like the minimal approach and letting the art speak for itself.

When I first started collecting, I did color mattes for a couple of paintings and one DPS has a matte covering the border of the page.  Not that they look bad or anything, just older me prefers the cleaner approach.  Obviously do what works best for you!

Below is what I have framed currently.  Sorry for the lack of photography skills.  😜 

20220526_143146.jpg

20220526_143115.jpg

20220526_143053.jpg

20220526_143028.jpg

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Nice to see some examples :) 

I really like @jaybuck43's pictures where the top edge is left alone and the other 3 edges are cropped to only show a sliver. 

But yeah, showing the whole board does have its charms.

These are some of the pieces I'm getting framed

Final Crisis Revelations 4 Cover B by Philip Tan Comic Art

Untold Tales of Blackest Night - A Losing Battle Pg.2 By Ed Benes Comic Art

Gen 13 #62 Page 9  Comic Art

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, Andahaion said:

I just picked up a Final Crisis cover also and am contemplating what to do regarding framing.  Seems it almost commands an overlay with the text, otherwise that's a lot of negative space.  You have any thoughts on what you're going to do?

Final Crisis #6 Variant Cover - Carlos Pacheco & Jesus Merino.jpg

Nice pick up!

Yeah these are a tricky case. Since mine has signatures on the bottom of the board and has all the information on the top filled out, I'm leaning towards having it framed with the entire board visible. If it didn't have those, I wouldn't be sure what to do. 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:48 PM, JC25427N said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Nice to see some examples :) 

I really like @jaybuck43's pictures where the top edge is left alone and the other 3 edges are cropped to only show a sliver. 

But yeah, showing the whole board does have its charms.

These are some of the pieces I'm getting framed

Final Crisis Revelations 4 Cover B by Philip Tan Comic Art

I just picked up a Final Crisis cover also and am contemplating what to do regarding framing.  Seems it almost commands an overlay with the text, otherwise that's a lot of negative space.  You have any thoughts on what you're going to do?

I would contact @Phill the Governor and have him make an overlay with the sidebars. And then float frame them.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:10 AM, JC25427N said:

Nice pick up!

Yeah these are a tricky case. Since mine has signatures on the bottom of the board and has all the information on the top filled out, I'm leaning towards having it framed with the entire board visible. If it didn't have those, I wouldn't be sure what to do. 

That makes sense.  Here's a couple examples of how I generally frame my art...

IMG_9932.jpg

Powers of X Cover.jpg

Silver Surfer Prodigal Sun.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, BCarter27 said:

Go this route. It is much more satisfying to see the whole thing. These were artifacts of a process, not a final product. It is cool to seem them as such.

This is my general approach as well and a well described reason why. I have a 60's page with Jack Kirby art and Stan Lee comments in the margins. If I were to cover up the comments, you would lose part of the process. 

That said, there is no right answer as each collection should fit the personal preference of the owner. Each piece is unique and can have different needs/preference when it comes time to frame. 

A good exception to the rule IMO - I would likely have a wider matting on something like this and/or add the overlays. 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, JadeGiant said:

A good exception to the rule IMO - I would likely have a wider matting on something like this and/or add the overlays. 

Yes, I think the overlays are needed here.  Would make for a stronger presence on the wall.  

On 5/26/2022 at 1:23 PM, jaybuck43 said:

What’s the room like? I’d be very worried about offgassing and uv exposure with those. 

The room is for my art and pinball machines. Windowless and dark almost all hours every day if the week. Interior walls for most art. Recessed lighting, small humidifier and humidly percentage meter. The art is in acid free bags and boards stored in portfolios, with the exception of the larger stuff which is in top loaders, which I may have officially framed some day. I have 2 items professionally framed behind glass and one cover painting on board in a frame. The sign holders IMO are great for bagged and boarded 11x17 art because you can move things in from the portfolio and out very easily.