• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing OA Opinion - Show Entire Board?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, Varanis said:

I always float and show the full board. I like to see every artifact.

image_50385153.JPG

image_123923953.JPG

image_67182081.JPG

How does your framer do this?  The way float mount was always explained to me is that the art is spray mounted onto foam board and then spaced into the frame.  Looks cool and all, but also "destroys" the art as it's now glued onto foam board (and removing it is unbelievable expensive to prevent any further damage).  Obviously I don't know what your framer did so I could be totally wrong on all of this.... but that's my concern.  

On 5/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, jaybuck43 said:

How does your framer do this?  The way float mount was always explained to me is that the art is spray mounted onto foam board and then spaced into the frame.  Looks cool and all, but also "destroys" the art as it's now glued onto foam board (and removing it is unbelievable expensive to prevent any further damage).  Obviously I don't know what your framer did so I could be totally wrong on all of this.... but that's my concern.  

I've seen two archival methods of floating. The method you've described is obviously not archival and should be avoided at all costs.

My pieces are floated using an archival hinge. It's basically a very small, removable piece of archival tape that attaches it to the foam core board. If you pick up my pieces and lean them forward, the art will actually swing on this hinge. My understanding is this is generally one of the safest ways to frame as the art has minimal contact with any surfaces.

The other way to float is to use photo corners. These are basically tiny plastic corners you slide on each corner of the art and then the plastic corners are adhered to the foam core board. I find this spoils the display some, but could arguably be safer than the method I use.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:32 PM, Varanis said:

I've seen two archival methods of floating. The method you've described is obviously not archival and should be avoided at all costs.

My pieces are floated using an archival hinge. It's basically a very small, removable piece of archival tape that attaches it to the foam core board. If you pick up my pieces and lean them forward, the art will actually swing on this hinge. My understanding is this is generally one of the safest ways to frame as the art has minimal contact with any surfaces.

The other way to float is to use photo corners. These are basically tiny plastic corners you slide on each corner of the art and then the plastic corners are adhered to the foam core board. I find this spoils the display some, but could arguably be safer than the method I use.

So glad to hear that, thanks for sharing.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:38 PM, jaybuck43 said:

So glad to hear that, thanks for sharing.

For sure! I think the key is to find someone who knows what they're doing. I would never take my art to Michaels or another chain.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:41 PM, Varanis said:

For sure! I think the key is to find someone who knows what they're doing. I would never take my art to Michaels or another chain.

Haha I have a professional framer. I made the mistake ONCE of trying to save some money and go to michaels… would love to know who looked at this and said “Nailed it!”

A60CAB92-1FF7-4F26-8112-4795F8978F4D.jpeg

On 6/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Haha I have a professional framer. I made the mistake ONCE of trying to save some money and go to michaels… would love to know who looked at this and said “Nailed it!”

A60CAB92-1FF7-4F26-8112-4795F8978F4D.jpeg

IDK.  It's about as good as wrasslin art can get, isn't it?