• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Quesada leaving Marvel to pursue his own projects
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2022 at 6:05 PM, Royal Blue said:

So the crown jewel accomplishment is fraud? Maybe he’s going into government or banking?

Seriously, it’s not so very original, and the hoax was unnecessary. It’s just a retcon on steroids. Ostrander did it much more quietly and gracefully a decade earlier with Martian Manhunter’s Golden Age alter egos being introduced in that series. They just took it a step further with fake creators too. But I guess Marvel was desperate to draw attention at that time, so the big loud hucksterish approach was attractive to them? (shrug)

On 5/31/2022 at 7:22 PM, Readcomix said:

They just took it a step further with fake creators too. But I guess Marvel was desperate to draw attention at that time, so the big loud hucksterish approach was attractive to them? 

I read The Sentry as I was a fan of Jae Lee's (but I never really read Wizard) but I do not recall anyone in my area thinking The Sentry history or Artie Rosen was real for even one second. (shrug)

Edited by Bird

On 6/1/2022 at 1:13 AM, Economy Joe said:

Love Lark's art. Loved it more when he did Terminal City but so so good on Gotham Central as well.

Yup. Lark had a proven track record with gritty, urban, crime noir material.  Also a great match for Daredevil.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/31/2022 at 7:37 PM, Economy Joe said:

I read The Sentry as I was a fan of Jae Lee's (but I never really read Wizard) but I do not recall anyone in my area thinking The Sentry history or Artie Rosen was real for even one second. (shrug)

I’ll buy that. But that hoax link Royal Blue posted made it sound like it duped som folks for a while. I definitely missed it first-hand. 
More importantly, you’re not Bird anymore???

So I have a question then.

What is Quesada's legacy in terms of what he did for Marvel.  Is he responsible for getting it away from the dumpster fire that it was 22 years ago? Take a few missteps like OMD... but is he responsible for Marvel as we know it today and it's affiliation with Disney?

What's his legacy and what is his hand in it?

On 5/31/2022 at 10:16 PM, Readcomix said:

I’ll buy that. But that hoax link Royal Blue posted made it sound like it duped som folks for a while. I definitely missed it first-hand. 
More importantly, you’re not Bird anymore???

I spend more time complaining about them screwing us over on economy TATs than anything else anymore, so why not?

fear not, like a fiery phoenix, bird shall rise again

On 5/31/2022 at 7:48 PM, Royal Blue said:

Ugh, Maleev and Lark were terrible :sick:

As a new member you should visit the moderation thread. 

On 5/31/2022 at 10:19 PM, Economy Joe said:

I spend more time complaining about them screwing us over on economy TATs than anything else anymore, so why not?

fear not, like a fiery phoenix, bird shall rise again

I already miss, "Bird".

On 5/31/2022 at 7:43 PM, Royal Blue said:

It wasn't a ret-con, they billed it as a completely new/lost Stan Lee character from the 60s, which was a complete lie.

I realize it’s not exactly; but it’s like one on steroids — the idea of “Oh yeah, this is new to you but it’s being introduced with 60 years of continuity behind it.” I forget what name Ostrander gave his golden age Martian Manhunter superhero identity, but it was the same idea. Suddenly, Jonn Jonzz had a different secret identity briefly, years before he was known as MM.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:05 PM, Royal Blue said:

Funny, I never knew anything about that stuff, but I remember Sentry being promoted as a "forgotten Marvel hero".  I just figured it was an actual promotional strategy for an upcoming event or something.  I didn't realize they went to such lengths legitimize it.

His first years were interesting, then things settled into a 'same old, same old'. I remember the Sentry hoax, I didn't believe it, because the so-called Silver Age art just didn't seem authentic. It lacked that SA flair. It was like some sort of imitation, which is of course what it turned out to be. 

I thought he was an offbeat choice, and honestly, I thought they'd run out of candidates. But honestly, he proved me wrong overall, for many years. Nowadays I think Marvel are terrible, and DC is way better, for having better artists, whereas it doesn't seem like Marvel cares, but i guess that's a whole 'nother story. 

I was quite impressed with Quesada’s choices in the early 2000s, making Marvel interesting again and noticeably improving the quality of the comics after the absolutely dire early-to-mid 90s period. He deserves some credit.