• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect Wrap & Centering vs Page Quality in the same grade

Perfect Wrap & Centering vs Page Quality in the same grade (raw or graded)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. All else being equal including staples perfectly aligned on spine apex and overall condition and no perfect copy exists which would you choose?

• A book graded or raw that has Perfect Wrap and Centering on both the front and Back Cover but Off-White to White pages or lower PQ.
    • A book graded or raw that has White Pages but with a slight miswrap and/or off-centering (no more than a 1/16" to 1/8" miswrap along at least half the front or back covers.
    • Neither. It's perfection or I don't want it in my collection even if I'm a run collector that will forever have a hole in my run. I'll just never own a copy that doesn't satisfy both.
    • Both cause I've got that kind of money.

3 posts in this topic

We might be splitting hairs here but I'm curious to what other picky collectors prefer and if it matches my own preference.  What is your preference if you had to choose between 2 copies of the same book where:

Book 1: has a perfect wrap & centering on the front and back cover but Off-White to White pages

OR

Book 2: has White Pages but a slight miswrap (no more than a 1/16" to 1/8" miswrap along at least half the front or back covers.  Assuming the same CGC grade and even the same eye appeal (i.e. no significant difference in defects or severity for lower graded copies) and staples are perfectly aligned on the spine apex.

Which book do you choose:

Definitions of a perfect wrap and centered book:

When viewing the book from the front cover straight on you can see no part of the back cover along the spine.  Vice versa for the back cover.  When viewing the back cover you can see no part of the front cover along the spine.  In some issues, there's a black line dividing the front and back covers and it is perfectly aligned along the spine apex where the staples should be.

A well centered book has the title, banner bars, and cover text along with price and publisher boxes perfectly aligned with the top, bottom, and sides of the book square with no diagonal or off-centered appearance.  Off-centering can occur with miscuts or miswraps.  Off-centering can also mean if the cover was cut a little too high or low on the top or bottom edges by the factory cutting off part of the title at the top or part of the UPC and cover text at the bottom.  Same for a miswrap that cuts off too much of the art on the right side including part of the Comics Code.

Definition of Page Quality:

White pages: whether visibly whiter interior pages and (or cover if also white) than the other copy in comparison if raw OR stated on the label for graded copies.

On 6/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

A tough conundrum only because "white pages" means 'no discernible aging'. I would not choose PQ lower than Off-White, though.

The catch is that pages won't ever stop aging.  One day, all GA/SA/BA/CA comic pages will no longer be white despite what the CGC case says.  Some will get there faster but eventually, even books stored in perfectly climate and humidity controlled rooms will begin to succumb to the decomposition of the paper.  Possibly only books stored in air-tight rooms in a vacuum may persist but those may have already succumbed to enough degradation to be irreversible.