• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars 2 - signature
1 1

3 posts in this topic

So I see CGC is monetizing the D+ Kenobi series with an Ewan McGregor signing event.  I have a CGC 9.6 Bronze Age Star Wars 2 that I bought cheap before prices exploded a few years ago.  I’m not a signature series collector — I have zero signature slabs.  And I’m not looking to sell my 9.6 at this stage.  Too much sentimental value.  But I will sell it at some stage years down the road when I’m getting out of the collecting hobby.  My question is whether getting it de-slabbed, signed, and re-slabbed now would increase its value in the long-term.  Or could it have the opposite effect: they de-slab it, and when re-slabbing it assign it a lower grade then 9.6?  Should I have it pressed if I get it signed? I don’t know if it was pressed before it was originally slabbed.  Could pressing it move it to a 9.8? Or does pressing rarely move the needle higher on something that is already a 9.6?

I’m a relative novice here so any thoughts appreciated.  

General rule of thumb: never assume signature series will increase the value of your book. Especially celebrities. 

When you eventually go to sell it, you'll have to hope to find someone who collects signature series books. Anyone who doesn't and just wants a nice blue 9.6 is going to skip over your book. 

If it was me, I would leave your Star Wars #2 as is and find some post 1999 Star Wars book to get his signature on. 

And if you want to roll the dice, you could get it pressed and hope you can get it to a 9.8. Though if you do that, remember that you could spend that money and still end up with a 9.6 - or worse a 9.4. But that's the risk you take. 

Hope this helps! 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:18 AM, eee91 said:

General rule of thumb: never assume signature series will increase the value of your book. Especially celebrities. 

When you eventually go to sell it, you'll have to hope to find someone who collects signature series books. Anyone who doesn't and just wants a nice blue 9.6 is going to skip over your book. 

If it was me, I would leave your Star Wars #2 as is and find some post 1999 Star Wars book to get his signature on. 

And if you want to roll the dice, you could get it pressed and hope you can get it to a 9.8. Though if you do that, remember that you could spend that money and still end up with a 9.6 - or worse a 9.4. But that's the risk you take. 

Hope this helps! 

Definitely helps - thanks.  I guess I should have realized this.  I skip over signature books all the time because I don’t collect them.