• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under-rated or Obscure Bronze age characters
2 2

84 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 7:57 AM, APDallas said:

Lots of great suggestions! Here is a character I actually bought off the stands in the 1970's. I thought this character looked great and the Joe Kubert art was the main selling point for me. Didn't he actually appear in the Arrowverse?

R.jpg

I like Ragman more than the series deserves, to be honest. The cover of #1 is fantastic. The character design was solid, and the overall background and theme were ahead of their time. But... it's pretty clear that DC wasn't quite ready to commit to such a morally complex story back in 1976.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, Brian48 said:

I always thought Thongor was an interesting character.  If for anything, this was Stan Lee's choice over Conan according to Roy Thomas and only because Stan thought he had a cooler sounding name.

RADE200E2014122_91827.jpg

what if it came out before Conan? Love the Steranko cover!

On 6/8/2022 at 12:19 AM, Qalyar said:

I like Ragman more than the series deserves, to be honest. The cover of #1 is fantastic. The character design was solid, and the overall background and theme were ahead of their time. But... it's pretty clear that DC wasn't quite ready to commit to such a morally complex story back in 1976.

could have been their Daredevil.

I remember being a kid and begging my mom to buy this comic for me. She looked at me with that glare that screamed "NO!" Sigh. Apparently it was created and written by Gary Friedrich who was also the creator and writer of GHOST RIDER fro Marvel. Could this be a proto-type?

R.jpg

R-1.jpg

Edited by APDallas

On 6/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, APDallas said:

I remember being a kid and begging my mom to buy this comic for me. She looked at me with that glare that screamed "NO!" Sigh. Apparently it was created and written by Gary Friedrich who was also the creator and writer of GHOST RIDER fro Marvel. Could this be a proto-type?

R.jpg

R-1.jpg

Some nice Andru art, which was a little more dark and grim than his usual stuff.

Oh, and good call by your Mom!  (tsk)

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 6/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I'll add my favourite random character, ARSENAL! (My custom set for just him: https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=29180 )

Only appeared in three issues, but each one of them he appeared on the covers and spent a good deal of the interior pages beating up all of the biggest Avengers. I consider him the original Doomsday :)

3741128_Full_Obv.jpg.e4967f25ee15414038da0f4805331202.jpg

3741130_Full_Obv.jpg.895b63fdccaeed672732469ccfa07b75.jpgarsenal3.thumb.jpg.19af6dcb4ea79abf76aed6fc7bee80f8.jpg

Annual 9 was a good read!

image.thumb.png.350896887882fbd64e81461e912b6dcb.png

Obscure or under-rated doesn't mean it has to be both!

image.png.a433b33314524d86b95be9f7f323863a.png

To be fair, parts of this 1970's take (I can't really say "adaptation") on Beowulf aren't bad. The first half of #1 is pretty good. Grendel's appearance, later on, is solid. On the other hand, the female barbarian that Beowulf rescues (and becomes his combat partner) is gratuitously based on the writer's girlfriend. And then there's the whole Satan thing. Satan, obviously, played no part in the original Beowulf poem. Here, it's Satan everything. As one reviewer wrote, "Eventually you hear his name pronounced as if by Dana Carvey as the Church Lady."

By the later issues, Beowulf faces Dracula, who becomes a recurring major villain. He travels on a time-traveling spaceship that accidentally destroys Atlantis. He chats with Ulysses. He travels to Crete and fights the Cretan Minotaur. I don't know, man, I didn't write this :censored:.

Edited by Qalyar