• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under-rated or Obscure Bronze age characters
2 2

84 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, Qalyar said:

Obscure or under-rated doesn't mean it has to be both!

image.png.a433b33314524d86b95be9f7f323863a.png

To be fair, parts of this 1970's take (I can't really say "adaptation") on Beowulf aren't bad. The first half of #1 is pretty good. Grendel's appearance, later on, is solid. On the other hand, the female barbarian that Beowulf rescues (and becomes his combat partner) is gratuitously based on the writer's girlfriend. And then there's the whole Satan thing. Satan, obviously, played no part in the original Beowulf poem. Here, it's Satan everything. As one reviewer wrote, "Eventually you hear his name pronounced as if by Dana Carvey as the Church Lady."

By the later issues, Beowulf faces Dracula, who becomes a recurring major villain. He travels on a time-traveling spaceship that accidentally destroys Atlantis. He chats with Ulysses. He travels to Crete and fights the Cretan Minotaur. I don't know, man, I didn't write this :censored:.

It was actually not too bad all things considered. This was all part of the CONAN barbarian/fantasy phase. Also, Dungeons and Dragons was becoming popular.

On 6/25/2022 at 9:08 PM, bronze johnny said:

G.I. Robot…

9EC7DEF8-632F-4F1D-B05D-CC8F31064EEF.webp.6837f1e830835c04fb94ab8ecaa628b1.webp

If I recall he appeared in an SGT. ROCK animated movie or something. I am not sure though.

Edited by APDallas
typo

Obscure would be any of the Atlas-seaboard titles that maxed out at 4 before they folded

For Marvel I think of Phantom Eagle who I believe appeared a MSH then a Hulk in the #130’s , then a Ghost Rider. I think that was it.

If you want to go really obscure (and tough) try finding a ‘Vicki” in high grade

On 6/27/2022 at 7:36 AM, APDallas said:

If I recall he appeared in an SGT. ROCK animated movie or something. I am not sure though.

DC is clueless when it comes to identifying and using a great character. Here we are in a high tech world with AI, robotics, and drones and DC can’t see that! 

On 6/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, APDallas said:

I know right? GI ROBOT could easily be updated! I don't know what happened to the original  but he's due for a comeback along with the CREATURE COMMANDOS!

image.png.d48b60015bc3a1c2ae696498755ad92b.png

Creature Commandos! 👍

Definitely obscure, but it must be asked, under-rated, or mercifully forgotten? (shrug)

BB92.jpg.d7b4ff676b326ea7056c0194bf16dab3.jpg

The Bat-Squad was a done-in-one by that master of continuity-be-damned Bob ("Earth-B") Haney.  The idea of Batman having civilian assistants (as the Shadow did before him) is a good one, and was toyed with in the Silver Age with the Mystery Analysts of Gotham City, and later in the 1970s with his group of tag-alongs to battle Ras al Ghul overseas (Batman #243).  But here he joins forces with 3 members of a movie's production crew, to solve a murder/kidnapping that takes place on a movie set being filmed in London England, of all places.  As far as I know, they've never been heard from again.  :shiftyeyes:

Bat-Squad_01.thumb.webp.9400dabb4ab5a0cc1ce2c8844546e993.webp

Great Nick Cardy artwork though.  He did a mini-run of Brave & Bolds at this time that was very easy on the eyes. 

On 6/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, Pantodude said:

This guy is almost like Batman, with no real super powers, but often surviving on sheer will and grit alone.  And . . . he's insane, too.  (thumbsu

image.thumb.jpeg.7365495208492d182bc894aed6b7e2e5.jpeg

I didnt ever ask to have it confirmed, but was this character in the tick animated series too?

I'm sure I've followed this character the flaming carrot at some point, it just seems so familiar,  but I cant seem to place it.

Alternatively it could be that I read a few, seems also that it was in a lot of guides with the picture idk just scratching my head. It is a crazy cover, fits the attitude perfectly 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/30/2022 at 7:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didnt ever ask to have it confirmed, but was this character in the tick animated series too?

Ut!    Well, he ran into the TMNTs many times, but that was in print.  Early 1990s? Don't think he was ever in an animated series, but he was almost picked up by Nickelodeon to guest star with TMNT.  But I read they went with Usagi the Samarai rabbit instead!

On 6/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, Pantodude said:

Ut!    Well, he ran into the TMNTs many times, but that was in print.  Early 1990s? Don't think he was ever in an animated series, but he was almost picked up by Nickelodeon to guest star with TMNT.  But I read they went with Usagi the Samarai rabbit instead!

Maybe that's it! I remember reading a back story of something as a kid, early 90's probably about 10 or 11, fuddles the memory a bit. Maybe I just read that it was going to be something, and TMNT would have been in that vein for me. It's appreciated 👍