• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under-rated or Obscure Bronze age characters
2 2

84 posts in this topic

I am collecting obscure Marvel and DC characters introduced in the Bronze Age. I consider this one of those eras where let's throw whatever we can against the wall and see what sticks. Have any suggestions? Nothing is out of bounds here. I will start off with R.jpg.dd3a24f41e9c7bd2f26152300e024f8b.jpg

Edited by APDallas

On 6/2/2022 at 9:34 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I always thought Will-O'-The-Wisp from Amazing Spider-Man 167 was under-rated.   Tragic character, likeable, cool powers. 

He's been around and appeared in other stuff, but probably a C list type character.

1st-Will-O-The-Wisp.jpeg

D-list

On 6/3/2022 at 2:37 AM, MAR1979 said:

?

Steel5.thumb.jpg.3174ec141bb974707b19cc59c942d71c.jpg

were you unable to find an image for Steel #1, or is it Swamp Monster you're suggesting?  I loved the pages from the unpublished Steel #6 that were incorporated into All-Star Squadron #8 & 9, re-inked by Jerry Ordway.  Perhaps the best looking Don Heck artwork this side of X-Men #64.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:29 PM, Pantodude said:

If this dude ever makes an appearance in any way, shape or form....(thumbsu

image.thumb.jpeg.1be56a8aa93ceee52da8dcf0981c95ad.jpeg

I think Jim Owsley was said to have commented that the above comic was written, penciled, inked and lettered by Alan Kupperberg and untouched by human hands.  Does anyone know which comic featured Obnoxio's first appearance?

On 6/3/2022 at 7:45 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

were you unable to find an image for Steel #1, or is it Swamp Monster you're suggesting?  I loved the pages from the unpublished Steel #6 that were incorporated into All-Star Squadron #8 & 9, re-inked by Jerry Ordway.  Perhaps the best looking Don Heck artwork this side of X-Men #64.

I have all 5 Steel's figured I'd post one that gets less love

Those All-Star pages re-inked by a young Ordway are fantastic. There is a CAF gallery that contains most of Steel 6 before the re- ink , they sure look different. Different as in less polished and less substantial.

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/3/2022 at 8:26 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

I think Jim Owsley was said to have commented that the above comic was written, penciled, inked and lettered by Alan Kupperberg and untouched by human hands.  Does anyone know which comic featured Obnoxio's first appearance?

a 1980 Crazy issue as i recall. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, MAR1979 said:

a 1980 Crazy issue as i recall. 

rtist Alan Kupperberg, who would become heavily associated with the character, recounted, "Obnoxio's first appearance was in a one-panel illustration to accompany a subscription ad in Crazy, written by Larry and calling for likenesses of P. T. Barnum and Marcy Tweed among others.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:42 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The Monster-type guy in the background has appeared a lot, but I think this was the only appearance of the girl...hm  B|

Someone who looked like her appeared in Superman: the Wedding Annual #1, Marvel Fumetti Book #1 and X-Men Annual #10.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens