• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon - Savior of the Universe
5 5

433 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 9:08 PM, Yorick said:

@Get Marwood & I Who is Cartwright?  The letter is interesting.  I guess even though King printed pence copies, they must have under-estimated the demand for Flash?  Derek had some difficulty even finding them!

A nice chap I bought a copy from on the Bay a while back. He included that lovely letter - I love it when sellers do that, especially the older generation who have stories to tell. King circulation was pretty rubbish in the UK by all accounts. Alas, I was too young to notice....

@Kevin.J

Kev, I'm logging off now but I expect this thread to be on at least page 7 by the time I get back tomorrow

No pressure! :bigsmile:

flash.PNG.3deb4fd804139da5c60c87d04e965ca1.PNG

Keep 'em coming @Yorick

hawkmen.gif.c7bc8d06ff3a87775874c7cfa81a3fec.gif

Capture.PNG.798f35dfb1d77687571c1a5d7d132574.PNG 

Gordon's alive..... lol

On 6/2/2022 at 1:11 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I was too young to notice

I wanted to begin the thread with my ratty copy of Flash Gordon 4, but I'm still digging around for it.

My parents took me to a local comic store in the mid-to-late 80's and told me I could pick out a book from the back issue bin of 25 cent comics.  No bags or boards.  I was under ten years old.  Flash Gordon 4 was the book I snagged, and I still have it!  It probably also helped that we had the laserdisc of Flash Gordon with music by Queen as an influence.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, Yorick said:

I wanted to begin the thread with my ratty copy of Flash Gordon 4, but I'm still digging around for it.

My parents took me to a local comic store in the mid-to-late 80's and told me I could pick out a book from the back issue bin of 25 cent comics.  No bags or boards.  I was under ten years old.  Flash Gordon 4 was the book I snagged, and I still have it!  It probably also helped that we had the laserdisc of Flash Gordon with music by Queen as an influence.

Brilliant! Be honest, you can't read this thread without playing it in your head, can you :bigsmile:

Bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom...

Logging off in Blighty!

Imxf6zA.gif.2a58d30cd48a1dbbaf7d89a36cf5e7dd.gif

On 6/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, Yorick said:

I need to acquire Timothy Dalton and Ornella Muti's signatures on this (Sam Jones and Melody Anderson so far...).

100_0581.JPG

Sweet! I'm rather jelly

Ornella Muti <3

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/2/2022 at 2:05 PM, MAR1979 said:

this 1/1

That was on my watchlist for quite a while.  Lovely copy.  I was hoping it'd go down a little lower before I pulled the trigger.  Great grab.  I am jealous.

I will add that my friend and I saw two musicians in a hotel lobby circa 2014 and, as we were also in a band, started up conversation with them and discovered they were actually a touring Queen tribute band which I found genuinely fascinating. My friend asked them if they did anything from the FLASH soundtrack and the guy playing drums (I presume only the singer was trying to resemble Freddie as this guy certainly didn't look like Roger Taylor) got real annoyed and pseudo-offended though we were being serious but he took it as if we were mocking them somehow. Hey pal, that title track is f**king awesome and I'm amazed they didn't include it in their set!