• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon - Savior of the Universe
5 5

433 posts in this topic

He'll save every one of us.

I went to see that movie solely because I was a huge Queen fan, but I remember watching a couple of the serials as part of a Saturday night local movie program called "Sinister Cinema" which ran horror and sci-fi movies starting at 11:30 pm after the local news.  

On 6/2/2022 at 5:17 PM, MattTheDuck said:

He'll save every one of us.

I went to see that movie solely because I was a huge Queen fan, but I remember watching a couple of the serials as part of a Saturday night local movie program called "Sinister Cinema" which ran horror and sci-fi movies starting at 11:30 pm after the local news.  

I wish there were still more of those regional shows that played cult stuff late at night.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, Yorick said:

That was on my watchlist for quite a while.  Lovely copy.  I was hoping it'd go down a little lower before I pulled the trigger.  Great grab.  I am jealous.

I do realize if  #31 had been at regular auction it would go for less than the fair-ish price I paid but who knows when another will surface?   For me this represented a rare occasion when I did not see the book in hand prior to purchase. Got lucky as it is what I call a 9.8. #32 1/1 is still out there. I'd love to have it but will be hard to justify overpaying when I already have #31. Still I do think about hm

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Flash Gordon 31 (3/81, Whitman)
            Movie adaptation, part 1 of 3 Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Max Von Sydow & Ornella Muti photo
Universal 12 8.86     1 2 4 1 1   1 1     1                        
 2. Flash Gordon 31 (3/81, Whitman) Signature 35 8.86       4 5 6 10 5 3 1       1                      
 3. Flash Gordon 31 (3/81, Whitman) Qualified 5 9.32       1 2 1 1                                    
 4. Flash Gordon 32 (4/81, Whitman)
            Flash Gordon - The Movie Part 2 (of 3). Movie adaptation. Timothy Dalton & Sam Jones photo cover
Universal 10 8.83     1 2 2   1 1 1 2                              
 5. Flash Gordon 32 (4/81, Whitman) Signature 16 8.84       1 4 4 1 3 2   1                            
 6. Flash Gordon 32 (4/81, Whitman) Qualified 4 9.35       1 2   1                                    
 7. Flash Gordon 33 (5/81, Whitman)
            Flash Gordon - The Movie Part 3 (of 3). Movie adaptation. Sam Jones photo cover.
Universal 12 8.98     2 2 3 1   2   1 1                          
Edited by MAR1979

The two guys on that show (Vic Ives and Jimmy Hollister who also did a local radio show called "The Hollister and Ives Sometimes Comedy Hour,") usually dressed up as Dracula and Igor.  The little skits during breaks were a lot like what they did on MST3K which of course was also "just" a local program originally.  This was in the early 70s and was on pretty late for a kid, but I watched every week and frequently fell asleep to it.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, MAR1979 said:

I do realize if  #31 had been at regular auction it would go for less than the fair-ish price I paid but who knows when another will surface?   For me this represented a rare occasion when I did not see the book in hand prior to purchase. Got lucky as it is truly what I call a 9.8. #32 1/1 is still out there. I'd love to have it but will be hard to justify overpaying when I already have #31. Still I do think about hm

When you look at the Williamson Star Wars books bringing in $$$, this can't be that far behind... right?:bigsmile:

The OP has great taste. As an EC science-fiction comic fan I’ve got a lot of respect for Al Williamson, and consider his Flash Gordon art to be equally brilliant. Somewhere in my collection I have the film adaptation GN, and his Empire Strikes Back magazine.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/2/2022 at 8:32 PM, Yorick said:

Show me your Flash Gordon DVD collection!

Bought this even though I haven't had a DVD player for more than 10 years, just couldn't resist it, I guess it will remain unopened forever, I got all the old serials on video somewhere in my loft too, makes me wanna buy a video and binge them all :)  

DVDF.thumb.JPG.235c38eea5f54efcf9bd7f30e289ca16.JPGDVDR.thumb.JPG.02348223cf8dfdb3ec81b582422386c6.JPG