• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I put my comics in a storage locker(Climate controlled)
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, Lpgk said:

Most insurance policies will not cover storage units, as they are broken into far too often. I have CIS and they were very specific as to what locations were covered. In no certain terms, storage lockers were not covered. 

I sent in a request today for a storage locker after reading this thread and did not get a no from them.

I am planning on calling them in the next couple days to finalize

It’s been a few years, but when I had a books in storage they were covered. Listed my home, my bank vault and my storage facilities addresses in my policy. 9_9

On 6/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I sent in a request today for a storage locker after reading this thread and did not get a no from them.

I am planning on calling them in the next couple days to finalize

Whatever you do, make sure you get it in writing that they cover storage facilities. Very few people read their policies, so it would behoove you to protect yourself in case of loss. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:39 PM, Wipple said:

Tarp over them and never use basement or ground level(flooding). Insure the location with CIS. 

@fastballspecial What kind of the tarp?  Cloth or plastic?  If it's plastic, the moisture will be there - it doesn't matter if it's in a climate controlled unit.  The cloth is safer that will adsorb the moisture or damp air.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, JollyComics said:

@fastballspecial What kind of the tarp?  Cloth or plastic?  If it's plastic, the moisture will be there - it doesn't matter if it's in a climate controlled unit.  The cloth is safer that will adsorb the moisture or damp air.

Yes I understand that, but I am more concerned about a water leak in the roof or something along that line. 

I would be more concerned about moisture at a longer term. Many of those books will rotate out periodically.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I think it's pretty clear that we aren't going to let you store your books in a storage locker.

You'll need to come up with an alternative plan and resubmit it for approval.

Thanks.

Edit:  It needs to be in writing and within 10 days of this notification.

I know right if I only listened more in my comic career.

I’ll give you one picture to show you why storage lockers are bad for comics.

Last year, I decided to put boxes of comics into storage temporarily and this was the result barely 3 months later. The storage company initially told me insurance would cover it and played dumb when this happened. 350 dollars a month for these guys to ruin 100+ long boxes of mostly high grade Bronze Age stuff.

When you get 2 feet of water into a storage unit every box will fall no matter how well you prepare.

Keep away from storage units unless you’re prepared to lose everything in it.

C024AC82-D10D-4FAF-A59A-FF19AE2573CE.jpeg

On 6/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, lemonman6 said:

Last year, I decided to put boxes of comics into storage temporarily and this was the result barely 3 months later. The storage company initially told me insurance would cover it and played dumb when this happened. 350 dollars a month for these guys to ruin 100+ long boxes of mostly high grade Bronze Age stuff.

When you get 2 feet of water into a storage unit every box will fall no matter how well you prepare.

C024AC82-D10D-4FAF-A59A-FF19AE2573CE.jpeg

damn-friday.gif

On 6/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, NP_Gresham said:

to OP

What are you keeping them for?

What are they worth?

How long do you plan to keep them there?

I don’t see how books without ‘value’ or even ‘sentimental’ are worth it.

What are your costs here? Storage fees (x expected duration) loss and damage from moving and storage. Climate control costs. Pallets, tarps etc - physical storage items. Then your time.

What exactly is your long term plan? Move into a palace? Sell them when they ‘mature’ in value?

Sorry but this has disaster written all over it

This doesn't really answer the question I wanted to know about apparently its 
difficult to get that answer. 

All indulge you anyway. 

This is excess stock from store closures, estates sales, and convention setups
that I have bought over the years. I have very little money in these books and I mean
very little.

Value varies depending on the market. If I sell them straight right now prolly a few grand 
up to 5 to 10k more as I pick and sell. This is not my personal collection. 

I plan to keep them for a year or two as I thin down those collections.

Well I am not going to divulge the cost of my storage, but its comes from the profits from 
selling those collections. I am just out a little less profit. The location is very close to home
so I walk there if I wanted. 

I think many are under the misunderstanding this is a Silver/Bronze Age collection its not. 
Its a mostly modern overflow of books I have bought over the years dirt cheap. It could all 
leave tomorrow and I wouldn't broke because of it. Let them pack out all those boxes. 
good luck with that. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, lemonman6 said:

whoa whoa whoa, hang on, this box looks ok

1.jpeg.f54c71af4b71afacd634f2a2158e34eb.jpeg

Seriously though, that sucks this happened to you. Were you able to salvage anything? Did bags protect anything?

On 6/3/2022 at 7:25 PM, shadroch said:

You said you are going to keep it for a year or two, correct?  I was paying about $100 a month for a 10X10 plus tax so $1300 a year.  You can figure it will cost you  $2500 to store it for the next two years.  

My unsolicited advice- sell it all, use the money to buy a couple of nice books and flip them two or three times over the next two years. 

This post 100%.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, shadroch said:

You said you are going to keep it for a year or two, correct?  I was paying about $100 a month for a 10X10 plus tax so $1300 a year.  You can figure it will cost you  $2500 to store it for the next two years.  

My unsolicited advice- sell it all, use the money to buy a couple of nice books and flip them two or three times over the next two years. 

Thats pretty much the plan over the next year trim it down as I have time.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:20 PM, Lpgk said:

Whatever you do, make sure you get it in writing that they cover storage facilities. Very few people read their policies, so it would behoove you to protect yourself in case of loss. 

From the form they’ve sent me

06444498-6F9F-4F6D-A034-33F69CF87439.jpeg

On 6/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, jsilverjanet said:

From the form they’ve sent me

06444498-6F9F-4F6D-A034-33F69CF87439.jpeg

Is this a homeowner's/renters policy or specialized collecitbles insurance? Interesting that they offer storage coverage insurance for a modest premium. I use Collectibles Insurance Group and they were very specific that they do not cover storage facilities. Also, all covered locations must be named. 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, Lpgk said:

Is this a homeowner's/renters policy or specialized collecitbles insurance? Interesting that they offer storage coverage insurance for a modest premium. I use Collectibles Insurance Group and they were very specific that they do not cover storage facilities. Also, all covered locations must be named. 

This is from CIS