• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ken Kelly - RIP
3 3

21 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, OtherEric said:

That's horribly depressing news, but thank you for sharing it.

A personal favorite of mine, although my box is in storage so I swiped the image online:

micronauts.jpg

what year is that?

On 6/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, NoMan said:

what year is that?

2016, I believe.  It was a limited set with three figures and new art that came out as an SDCC exclusive from Hasbro, that was never followed up on despite what they said at the time.  I found it at a retro store a couple years ago and couldn't resist.

Absolute legend, rest in peace.

He had a very early original art sketch card, well before they became common in non-sports trading cards. It was issued as a incentive for purchasers of full cases of Ken Kelly Series II Trading Cards from FPG. The card sets were themselves an outstanding presentation of Ken's work through 1994, when the second one was issued.

So much great work over decades, but the pinnacle for me is those two iconic Kiss images from the 70's. I still have the vintage jigsaw puzzle of "Destroyer".

K-lassic!

kellysketch.jpg

On 6/4/2022 at 1:49 AM, N e r V said:

He completed his four-year term in 1968 and returned home to New York.   During the next year, Ken’s life would veer further into the realms of fantasy art.   In 1968, he decided to go to the studio of Frank Frazetta and show him some of his own drawings.   Frazetta liked what he saw and encouraged Ken to pursue a career in commercial art.   At the same time, he also invited Ken to study under him.   Ken eagerly accepted Frank’s offer.

Under the guidance of Frazetta, Ken was able to fine-tune his skill even further.   Frazetta stressed how important it was to put feeling into creating a painting and to let the action on the canvas come from the imagination.   Ken took those words to heart and has lived by them ever since.

Later that same year, Ken received his first professional assignment.   Before he turned the painting in, he took it to Frazetta to get his approval.  Well, Frazetta did not think that the woman in the painting had a terrified enough expression on her face, so he painted over her old face, with a new one of his own, which he felt worked better.   Now it was ready to be turned in.   That painting was done for Warren’s Vampirella Magazine and is titled, “The Lurking Terror”.

Just to add one detail to this story people may not know. Ken was the nephew of Frank's wife Ellie. That was his original connection to Frank.