• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clearance in progress

4 posts in this topic

Howdy folks!

Any help or contacts would be much appreciated so thanks in advance!

I sent my CGC submission (from the UK via FedEx) and it was due to be delivered to CGC on 1st June.

However, since that date, it’s been in the “CLEARANCE IN PROGRESS, MEMPHIS TN” status on the FedEx website. It’s last scan - another clearance in progress scan - was Friday 3rd June. 

I have checked with FedEx and they’ve confirmed no information etc is currently being requested by customs (ie the paperwork appears in order, they’re not requesting any additional information etc). They’ve basically said it’s now in customs hands, there’s nothing you can do. It can be 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, forever! Just basically they can hold it however long they want, which whilst I have no doubt they can, what is a reasonable timeframe? 

I’ve been given many different reasons by FedEx (each time I call, I’ve been told numerous different reasons from weather delays in Memphis and Sarasota, staffing issues, “standard procedure”, “it’ll move tomorrow” - never does, backlogs at the final destination) so I genuinely am at a loss. 

I have submitted many submissions to CGC direct from the UK (for years now) and have never encountered this before. All via FedEx. 

Should I be concerned? Would anyone have a contact in either CGC / FEDEX / CUSTOMS who I may be able to reach out too to see if they can assist and maybe help get it moving?

Appreciate any guidance and/or help.

Many thanks! 

I probably won't be a lot of help, but a year or two ago I sent comics to a board member in Portugal and it took months to get through customs. 

Now, this was during the pandemic when wait times were exceptionally high. But I wouldn't be alarmed yet. Just keep an eye on it. 

Here's my reasonable (slightly) conspiracy theory answer:  You unluckily had your package batched with another package (or packages) that were questionable, but FEDEX or Customs or whoever can't tell you.  And therefore your package is currently trapped pending further investigation.

Here are some examples:

1.  Customs or some govt agency got a tip that something illicit or dangerous (or important, like evidence or spy secrets) was coming from the UK during a certain time period and so all packages that fit those parameters are being carefully screened.

2.  Similarly another package in the same customs batch near your package was found to have something hazardous like bugs, or explosive residue, or illegal fruits, and now all those packages are quarantined for extra screening.

3.  Its generally unfortunately not that uncommon for things to be a week or two weeks late, especially in the pandemic.  

On 6/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, revat said:

Here's my reasonable (slightly) conspiracy theory answer:  You unluckily had your package batched with another package (or packages) that were questionable, but FEDEX or Customs or whoever can't tell you.  And therefore your package is currently trapped pending further investigation.

Here are some examples:

1.  Customs or some govt agency got a tip that something illicit or dangerous (or important, like evidence or spy secrets) was coming from the UK during a certain time period and so all packages that fit those parameters are being carefully screened.

2.  Similarly another package in the same customs batch near your package was found to have something hazardous like bugs, or explosive residue, or illegal fruits, and now all those packages are quarantined for extra screening.

3.  Its generally unfortunately not that uncommon for things to be a week or two weeks late, especially in the pandemic.  

Mine to Australia hasn't been updated on tracking since the end of May. It says it left Chicago, which then it normally arrives in Australia, but hasn't updated after "leaving Chicago".

I've called several times, they said USA customs is looking at it, but they never give a reason. They say they have 45 days to hold and then do something, not including weekends or holidays their time is up next Tuesday or Wednesday.

It's only a bunch of raw comics, listed as "books" with appropriate declared value. The only thing I can think is that since it is close to 84 books, I sent it in a box that I got back from CGC. It is a box big enough that CGC had sent me about 10 slabs, I just put raws in gemini mailers and then into the CGC box.

IDK, it's about to be solve Lord willing, but I can't think of what the problem was, it was none of the reasons you listed, or they're less likely, as how long does it take to see that they're just comics lol 

idk :( I mean I even had to pay Priority Express due to the restrictions at the time, that were lifted last Friday, so now I don't even have to do Priority Express now and it didn't even get delivered :ohnoez: