• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelf units for long boxes.
3 3

33 posts in this topic

My wife wants me to organize my long boxes by building a shelf unit in our spare room (I've just got them on the floor right now.... and I admit, it looks messy)

I'm pretty handy so I know I can build something nice, but before I design something I thought maybe there's something out there that Home Depot or Lowes already has.

I only have about 6 long boxes right now, but every once in a while I buy a collection.  The most I've ever had at one time is 18 long boxes.  I think a shelf unit that holds up to 15 or so long boxes would be good.

Any thoughts?

On 6/10/2022 at 6:04 PM, gadzukes said:

My wife wants me to organize my long boxes by building a shelf unit in our spare room (I've just got them on the floor right now.... and I admit, it looks messy)

I'm pretty handy so I know I can build something nice, but before I design something I thought maybe there's something out there that Home Depot or Lowes already has.

I only have about 6 long boxes right now, but every once in a while I buy a collection.  The most I've ever had at one time is 18 long boxes.  I think a shelf unit that holds up to 15 or so long boxes would be good.

Any thoughts?

Although I now have drawer boxes and no longer use these wire racks, I stored my longboxes on them for many years. It's not perfect, mainly because of the depth. Longboxes are too long so they had to hang off the front and back a few inches, but I never had any problems with them. It also handled the weight with no issues, but left some gnarly little marks in the carpet when I finally removed them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRIS-Heavy-Duty-4-Shelf-Wire-Storage-Unit-Silver/5001785287

On 6/11/2022 at 1:17 AM, Lightning55 said:

I use these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-Heavy-Duty-5-Tier-Storage-Shelving-Boltless-48Wx24Dx72H-Powder-Coated-Grey/1002864606

Holds up to 25 long boxes.  They also make 6' wide shelves that are 18" deep if you want to store short boxes instead.

Those are great, I use them (1st pic on left & middle) and also these-

edsal  Muscle Rack 48-in W x 24-in D x 72-in H 5-Tier Heavy Duty Steel Utility Shelving Unit

which are the same size and have a flat black outer cover for a cleaner look(2nd pic).  Both of these would go on sale at Lowes every now and again.

IMG_4866.JPG.601a80ce486f3da8a45a77aa95c317c0.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG.814a60968480ff8b5449263e07ffd154.JPG

On 6/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, GACollectibles said:

Those are great, I use them (1st pic on left & middle) and also these-

edsal  Muscle Rack 48-in W x 24-in D x 72-in H 5-Tier Heavy Duty Steel Utility Shelving Unit

which are the same size and have a flat black outer cover for a cleaner look(2nd pic).  Both of these would go on sale at Lowes every now and again.

IMG_4866.JPG.601a80ce486f3da8a45a77aa95c317c0.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG.814a60968480ff8b5449263e07ffd154.JPG

Great room for comic book storage, great storage.

Here's what I use.  Got this from Home Depot and had previous experience with them in the garage.  They are also just a little short of a full box wide but it's not that much.  Biggest thing is the wire mesh tends to "catch" a bit on the back edge of the box as you pull them out so I've been thinking about adding a thin sheet of plywood that would fit down on top of the mesh.  They are very robust so there won't be any sagging and there's no chance the weight is going to overwhelm the structure.  They are easy to assemble assuming you have space in the room where they will permanently sit to assemble them - I wouldn't want to put one together and then have to move it somewhere else.  There are different sizes so you can choose one that's right-sized for your collection and whatever you will think you will pick up in the future.  As you can see, this unit fits up to 7 long boxes on each shelf.

comic shelf.jpg

Short box comic drawers are the way to go.  Comic drawers are much more compact than any frames I've seen, they look nicer and you can access every box, even pulling it out 3/4ths of the way.  Some of my older boxes are pushing 20 years old and work as well as they did when I first assembled them. 

On 6/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Here's what I use.  Got this from Home Depot and had previous experience with them in the garage.  They are also just a little short of a full box wide but it's not that much.  Biggest thing is the wire mesh tends to "catch" a bit on the back edge of the box as you pull them out so I've been thinking about adding a thin sheet of plywood that would fit down on top of the mesh.  They are very robust so there won't be any sagging and there's no chance the weight is going to overwhelm the structure.  They are easy to assemble assuming you have space in the room where they will permanently sit to assemble them - I wouldn't want to put one together and then have to move it somewhere else.  There are different sizes so you can choose one that's right-sized for your collection and whatever you will think you will pick up in the future.  As you can see, this unit fits up to 7 long boxes on each shelf.

comic shelf.jpg

I bought a thinner version of this one.  I'm spray painting it white (my wife wants it to match the trim).  If I find I need more shelves later I'm sure I can just pick up another.... they seem to be pretty standard sizes.

I'm going to use the suggestion of putting masonite over the wire mesh on each shelf.

Edited by gadzukes

On 6/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, MattTheDuck said:

comic shelf.jpg

I have something like that but larger. Holds 50 boxes. The "catching" thing is annoying for me as well, but it's a minor problem.

20 years ago when I had around 16000 boots, I used these shelves from Ikea two deep.  They are relatively shallow, though two of them one in front of the other looked okay and was more that strong enough to  hold twice the number of boxes you have.  Shelf heights are adjustable as well so pretty versatile for how you'd want them stacked.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/hejne-shelf-unit-softwood-s39031411/

Edited by davidpg

On 6/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, media_junkie said:

That is alot of boots.

It was! I got rid of half of them when my son was going to be born, and have kept the number of books I have pretty steady since ;)