• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelf units for long boxes.
3 3

33 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 6:41 AM, Lord Gemini said:

I have something like that but larger. Holds 50 boxes. The "catching" thing is annoying for me as well, but it's a minor problem.

Same here, mine is the sane style but 4 shelves not 3.  Was worth the extra money imo, it's incredibly sturdy.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:17 AM, Lightning55 said:

I use these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-Heavy-Duty-5-Tier-Storage-Shelving-Boltless-48Wx24Dx72H-Powder-Coated-Grey/1002864606

Holds up to 25 long boxes.  They also make 6' wide shelves that are 18" deep if you want to store short boxes instead.

I use these, too.  I bought three of them, but instead of making three 5-shelf units, I made five 3-shelf units by using only one side beam on each.  Long boxes do overhang a bit, but it hasn't been a problem.

Unfortunately, the only place I have space to store them is in the basement, but I've never had water issues there and have a couple dehumidifiers running to be safe.  (Yes, I need to cull my collection a bit...)

Basement.jpg

Newer section with file cabinets that can hold two rows of comics and about 2000 total? I prefer these actually and lateral file cabinets for indoor use. Lower walls of drawer boxes under desks/tables since the table has to hold scanners, printers, computers and other equipment.

5D5FF528-5895-402C-A771-0FAFC31DF71E.jpeg

On 6/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I use these, too.  I bought three of them, but instead of making three 5-shelf units, I made five 3-shelf units by using only one side beam on each.  Long boxes do overhang a bit, but it hasn't been a problem.

Unfortunately, the only place I have space to store them is in the basement, but I've never had water issues there and have a couple dehumidifiers running to be safe.  (Yes, I need to cull my collection a bit...)

Basement.jpg

I don't understand the "using only one side beam on each" part.  To do five 3-shelf units, you need 15 complete shelves (each with 4 horizontal support beams).  When you buy three 5-shelf units, you get the 15 complete shelves (3x 5 per). 

Seems like you wouldn't have to short any beams anywhere.  All you have left over is four 3.5 foot uprights because you stole the 2 extra shelves for the previously missing shelves.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't understand the "using only one side beam on each" part.  To do five 3-shelf units, you need 15 complete shelves (each with 4 horizontal support beams).  When you buy three 5-shelf units, you get the 15 complete shelves (3x 5 per). 

Seems like you wouldn't have to short any beams anywhere.  All you have left over is four 3.5 foot uprights because you stole the 2 extra shelves for the previously missing shelves.

Right, I worded that badly.  doh!  I was referring to the uprights/vertical beams and using four for each unit instead of the usual eight.  Essentially, these are half the height they would otherwise be.  Thanks!  (thumbsu

Edited by Gonzimodo
Clarifying my clarification