• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Mexican Action Comics #1 page to be Auctioned by Heritage
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Some get a good draw during the encapsulation orientation determination stage, others are not so lucky.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:49 PM, Beyonder123 said:

What do you guys think this book will go for? Paquito #255 which reprints page 3 of Action Comics #1. It apparently is set to be in a Heritage auction. On another note, I dislike that the book was encapsulated backwards, but what are you gonna do (shrug)

20220610_164441.jpg

20220610_164426.jpg

Can you now request a book be encased backwards? @CGC Mike

On 6/10/2022 at 9:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am not sure.  I am guessing it was placed in the holder backwards by mistake.

Being that the appeal of the book is what’s on the back cover, I thought maybe QC didn’t mess this one up....and the submitter made the request.

• Administrator
On 6/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Being that the appeal of the book is what’s on the back cover, I thought maybe QC didn’t mess this one up....and the submitter made the request.

That is definitely possible.  

Yes you can request a book be slabbed backwards. I have requested it on a couple foreign flipbooks (Danish Werewolf by knight 1 with Ms5 on back cover) Even though it was approved by Matt Nelson; who ever slabbed my books didn't follow through. So basically its a gamble whether they do it or not. This superman seems strange that they allowed to slab backwards since it is not a front and back cover (flip book) I know it was submitted to Heritage then CGC so I'm assuming Heritage put in the request per the sellers preference. Obviously the superman page is what makes the book desirable so I think the seller and Heritage did what would help maximize profit. 

On 6/10/2022 at 8:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am not sure.  I am guessing it was placed in the holder backwards by mistake.

@THE_BEYONDER

Hi Mike

I had a Golden Age UK book that was done the same (backwards).  I did send it back as mechanical error and it was corrected. 

Maybe as @steve566 states, that is where the appeal with Supes so a backwards request makes sense.

Edited by telerites

I had a flipbook once and told them I wanted the back cover in front. They said they'd do it this once, but that it was against policy. Not sure if that relates to this book however.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:14 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is it?  That’s what I’m asking....

I asked about this in reference to single pages.  Say you submit a pages 8 and 9.  Logically they'd put page 8 in front, but what if page 8 is ads and page 9 is what you really wanted to display.  I was told by the CGC person who answered that I could request that they put page 9 in front but they couldn't guarantee it because it was "ultimately up to the grader."   

On 6/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, Poekaymon said:

I was told by the CGC person who answered that I could request that they put page 9 in front but they couldn't guarantee it because it was "ultimately up to the grader." 

...but...but...I thought the graders don't DO encapsulation???

On 6/10/2022 at 7:49 PM, Beyonder123 said:

On another note, I dislike that the book was encapsulated backwards, but what are you gonna do (shrug)

Guessing it was at the request of the submitter? (And CGC understood the rationale, since it puts superman on the front of the slab, and it's in CGCs interest to have the image that's gonna be front and center in promotions be the front, with the CGC label and company name showing most prominently) 

This is my book. I requested the page of Action Comics to be facing outwards. You can request these types of things to be done. Whether CGC listens or not is the issue. I had another book slabbed backwards not to long ago by them as well. Hope you guys enjoy the auction if you watch it ❤ More of a display piece with the back cover being able to be seen imo. If it was slabbed the correct way it's just a random Paquito cover from 1938.

Edited by JGeezy87
Added info

On 6/14/2022 at 9:36 AM, JGeezy87 said:

This is my book. I requested the page of Action Comics to be facing outwards. You can request these types of things to be done. Whether CGC listens or not is the issue. I had another book slabbed backwards not to long ago by them as well. Hope you guys enjoy the auction if you watch it ❤ More of a display piece with the back cover being able to be seen imo. If it was slabbed the correct way it's just a random Paquito cover from 1938.

Hey brah! You are here.... great! Let us keep this foreign love going.......

On 6/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, JGeezy87 said:

I can see the rationale of having the book stabbed backwards. I just assumed it was the decision of CGC or Heritage. But you know what they say about assuming. Awesome book btw!

On 6/14/2022 at 3:27 PM, Beyonder123 said:

I can see the rationale of having the book stabbed backwards. I just assumed it was the decision of CGC or Heritage. But you know what they say about assuming. Awesome book btw!

Thank you! I appreciate it. I have semi high hopes for this book to do exceedingly well at the auction. I have what I feel is a conservative number in mind. I know there are going to be some people fighting over this from the messages I have received about it already including some celebrities which is honestly blowing my mind. I'm just a man with foreign comics 🤣 Really looking forward to foreigns getting some much due respect in the comic community as a whole. I know you either hate them or love them but this auction is going to be all love ❤