• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most desirable pulps
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2022 at 7:13 AM, Professor K said:

We know a lot of really nice and some hard to find just ended on HA. This one is probably my favorite Brundage cover of the series and it was the best condition book of the whole lot. It looks new. Back cover is whiter than an albino snowman. One of those how is this even possible books.  If they ever get to grading these things this one will do very well. https://comics.ha.com/itm/pulps/horror/weird-tales-november-1933-file-copy-popular-fiction-condition-vf/a/40189-83359.s?ic2 

Opera Snapshot_2022-06-12_100736_comics.ha.com.png

Gorgeous copy.  While I'm not looking forward to graded pulps, I am excited to see the census in a decade to get a better understanding of what high grade pulps are out there and their numbers relative to other pulps.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, aardvark88 said:

+1. 'Buck Rogers' goodness even though he was not on the cover.

That the cover character looks more like later incarnations of Buck than does his only "pajama man" cover appearance probably helps with interest. I doubt anyone who is willing to pay for a copy thinks it is Buck on the cover, but that it looks like it could be gives the book a cache it might not have if the cover featured say a giant moth with an elephant trunk.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:04 AM, rjpb said:

That the cover character looks more like later incarnations of Buck than does his only "pajama man" cover appearance probably helps with interest. I doubt anyone who is willing to pay for a copy thinks it is Buck on the cover, but that it looks like it could be gives the book a cache it might not have if the cover featured say a giant moth with an elephant trunk.

I think, with the August 1928 Amazing Stories, it's considered a classic cover even if it isn't actually Buck.  It's possible, even probable, that part of the reason it became a classic cover is because people misidentified the character- but for a very long time it's been a classic on its own terms.  It's a wonderful image that captures the aesthetic of the early science fiction era perfectly.