• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most desirable pulps
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2022 at 12:58 PM, Joshua33 said:

Really need 20, but if pressed... these would be my 10.

lf (1) (11).jpeg

23_cupidscapers_1933_10.jpg

lf (1) (10).jpeg

Saucy Movie Tales 1937-01.jpg

51qcRUJs7pL.jpg

Spicy_Mystery_Stories_February_1936 (1).jpg

spicy_mystery_stories_193601 (2).jpg

81d7kqTcePL._AC_SY679_.jpg

lf (1) (9).jpeg

28861966314_ee11d4ef8d_b.jpg

Wow, heck of a list. Sad to say I only have one of them. That Cupid’s Capers is one I have never seen and maybe my favorite of the bunch. :x

I have collected comics for over 50 years. It is rare when one I have never seen and like, pops up.

I have dabbled and accumulated pulps for maybe 25-30 years. Seems like just about every day I see a spectacular issue like that Cupids that I didn’t know existed. In many cases, you are likely to never see another copy for sale when you don’t buy it. 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:54 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, heck of a list. Sad to say I only have one of them. That Cupid’s Capers is one I have never seen and maybe my favorite of the bunch. :x

I have collected comics for over 50 years. It is rare when one I have never seen and like, pops up.

I have dabbled and accumulated pulps for maybe 25-30 years. Seems like just about every day I see a spectacular issue like that Cupids that I didn’t know existed. In many cases, you are likely to never see another copy for sale when you don’t buy it. 

Technically, the Cupids Capers is a magazine, not a pulp, but all the pulp heads seem to desire a copy... me included. There will be a copy available in an upcoming Heritage auction, but I fear the days of obtaining a copy for under 5k are long over.

I think of this pulp as a classic cover. I'm sure it's more common than e.g. the 1930s books, but for a Startling Stories it doesn't come around that often.

image.jpeg.2f0f599d618bce437177c9ba03ffdd0f.jpeg

On 4/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

I’d say this pulp makes the list of most desirable pulps, largely due to its’ appearance in the first Back To The Future movie.

https://backtothefuture.fandom.com/wiki/Fantastic_Story

8620C0FD-D926-4FC8-ABFE-BA1C797F18A6.jpeg

I must disagree; before you I've never seen anybody discuss this issue as particularly desirable, and it's not broken out in Bookery's guide.  Until you mentioned it, I figured it was a mock-up, similar to the "Tales from Space" comic in the movie.

With that said, I agree it's an issue to watch... I can easily see the pop culture connection being something new pulp collectors gravitate towards in the current market.  But right now I don't think it's on the list.

Thank you for calling the book to my attention!

On 4/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, OtherEric said:

I must disagree; before you I've never seen anybody discuss this issue as particularly desirable, and it's not broken out in Bookery's guide.  Until you mentioned it, I figured it was a mock-up, similar to the "Tales from Space" comic in the movie.

With that said, I agree it's an issue to watch... I can easily see the pop culture connection being something new pulp collectors gravitate towards in the current market.  But right now I don't think it's on the list.

Thank you for calling the book to my attention!

“before you I hadn’t seen anyone discussing this book”

Did you not click on the link I posted?

That said, the bidders in this auction of a copy of this pulp, from a seller located in the UK, would also disagree with you.

Even the listing description for this pulp on mycomicshop notates it was used in Back To The Future.

Just because Booksry’s guide doesn’t apparently mention this as a pulp of note doesn’t mean much of anything.

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is off on hundreds of historical comics, one could bring up comics Lichtenstein used as unattributed source material for his multi-million dollar paintings, to start with.

Only 2 of them IIRC, are listed in Overstreet as Lichtenstein sources, and the source info given on both is also incomplete.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115717019662

On 4/9/2023 at 3:39 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

“before you I hadn’t seen anyone discussing this book”

Did you not click on the link I posted?

That said, the bidders in this auction of a copy of this pulp, from a seller located in the UK, would also disagree with you.

Even the listing description for this pulp on mycomicshop notates it was used in Back To The Future.

Just because Booksry’s guide doesn’t apparently mention this as a pulp of note doesn’t mean much of anything.

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is off on hundreds of historical comics, one could bring up comics Lichtenstein used as unattributed source material for his multi-million dollar paintings, to start with.

Only 2 of them IIRC, are listed in Overstreet as Lichtenstein sources, and the source info given on both is also incomplete.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115717019662

I'm still not seeing any real evidence of this book being one of the most desirable pulps.   I can think of dozens off the top of my head that are better candidates.  An easy metric for desirability would be realized sales data, and this book doesn't meet that metric by any stretch.  In a decade, maybe, but I'd be very surprised. 

On 4/9/2023 at 7:36 PM, waaaghboss said:

I'm still not seeing any real evidence of this book being one of the most desirable pulps.   I can think of dozens off the top of my head that are better candidates.  An easy metric for desirability would be realized sales data, and this book doesn't meet that metric by any stretch.  In a decade, maybe, but I'd be very surprised. 

I certainly agree this pulp should not be in a top 10 list of most desirable pulps-

I don’t think I actually said it should be.

But that said, it certainly is a pulp in demand.

As far as sales data is concerned, a copy comes up in auction on eBay a few times a year, most sellers don’t know it has any significance/demand more than the next or previous issue of the same title.

That said, I have seen 2 copies (one I posted above and another I can’t recall what it went for but it was north of 300 and I remember it looked like a 2.0) sell in straight 7 day auctions on eBay in the past year or so- both sold for around $300.

Back To The Future has a huge cult following, that is the primary market for this pulp.

CGC still doesn’t slab pulps so it’s not as if we can pull up GPA for sales data.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

I’d say this pulp makes the list of most desirable pulps, largely due to its’ appearance in the first Back To The Future movie.

https://backtothefuture.fandom.com/wiki/Fantastic_Story

8620C0FD-D926-4FC8-ABFE-BA1C797F18A6.jpeg

Great robot cover‼️