• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay Vault card storage
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, thehumantorch said:

Interesting.  I guess collectibles would be safer in a facility like this rather than in a home but I like to hold and look through what I collect so I'd pass.  If I had no emotional attachment perhaps this would work.

Agreed, I couldn't imagine having any type of collectible or hobby item and not having it with me to enjoy and cherish. 

On 6/11/2022 at 12:31 PM, thehumantorch said:

I guess collectibles would be safer in a facility like this rather than in a home

I guess that depends on your home and location. However, knowing Ebay's track record of not caring about their customers I would be skeptical to trust them with handling my collectibles. I've had them just randomly ship things to old addresses of mine due to "glitches" that they've never been able to explain

In re Garza, 984 S.W.2d 344, 347 (Tex. App. 1998), Texas court has held that "Despite the old saying that "possession is 9/10ths of the law," mere possession and whatever right to the property that comes with mere possession does not grant the possessor rights in the property superior to those of the actual owner. J. CRIBBET, PRINCIPLES OF THE LAW OF PROPERTY 12-13 (1962); R. BOYER, SURVEY OF THE LAW OF PROPERTY 679-80 (1981). In other words, there is a hierarchy of ownership, as reflected both in the common law and � 1.07(35)(a) of the Penal Code. One in possession of chattel has a greater right to it than one who lacks both possession and title. Yet, one who has title maintains a greater right over the chattel than 1) one who simply has possession and 2) one who has neither possession nor claim of ownership. Id. Indeed, it can be said that the title owner has the greatest rights to the property. With that greatest right comes the power to negate the authority of those with lesser right. Similarly, those who stand in the lesser position lack the power to override or negate the rights of the title owner.

Good luck proving title if eBay controls the records on their systems. IMHO saving a bit of sales tax is not worth the risk.  I'm 100% positive in short order we will begin to hear horror story's about eBay vault. Here is an advance "I told you so" !

Do you people feel the need to stare at your stock certificated and passbooks?  These are investments, and some people treat them as such. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as some of you don't understand fractional ownership either.  

On 6/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, shadroch said:

Do you people feel the need to stare at your stock certificated and passbooks?  These are investments, and some people treat them as such. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as some of you don't understand fractional ownership either.  

Some consider them investments.  I don't, thus this isn't for me.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, thehumantorch said:

Some consider them investments.  I don't, thus this isn't for me.

It's not for everyone.  For most people entering the top end of the markets, I suspect they are not buying them for childhood memories. The only reason to buy a $150,000 card from 2021 is because you think it will be worth more in the future.

Well, if they're storing it at the Iron Mountain storage facility at Boyers, Pennsylvania, it will outlast humanity. The facility features climate controlled storage areas protected by armed guards. You will not get anywhere near the entrance. And if by some miracle you get inside, you better have a vehicle because it's big and the vehicle better have a battering ram or something to open the insanely thick doors for each storage facility. And make sure it's armored, because you'll need something when the rounds start flying. Imagine Hangar 51 (Indiana Jones), except multiple rooms encased in limestone.

It began storing records in 1954 and was purchased by Iron Mountain in 1998. It is here that Bill Gates stores his Corbis photographic collection in a refrigerated cave 220 feet (67 m) underground, as well as where Universal Music Group stores its United States masters. Nearby, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management leases another cavern to store, and process government employee retirement papers. In short, this place never-ever-ever looses power.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:53 PM, shadroch said:

some of you don't understand fractional ownership either.  

I think most of us actually do understand it and that's why we think it's as dumb as NFTs. This is a hobby based on ownership and in both of those situations you actually own nothing 

On 6/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, Nic8612 said:

I think most of us actually do understand it and that's why we think it's as dumb as NFTs. This is a hobby based on ownership and in both of those situations you actually own nothing 

Absolutely. That piece of paper that alleges I own five hundred shares of Tesla is just a decoration Same with those shares of ATT. It's all an illusion.  Five hundred plus years of fractional ownership being hoisted on a unsuspecting public who still think it is the best way to wealth. I'm glad some of you have seen thru the scam.

What I truly don't get is some of the biggest critics of fractional ownership seem to be big fans of cyrpto-currencies.

Edited by shadroch

On 6/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, shadroch said:

Absolutely. That piece of paper that alleges I own five hundred shares of Tesla is just a decoration Same with those shares of ATT. It's all an illusion.  Five hundred plus years of fractional ownership being hoisted on a unsuspecting public who still think it is the best way to wealth. I'm glad some of you have seen thru the scam.

What I truly don't get is some of the biggest critics of fractional ownership seem to be big fans of cyrpto-currencies.

I know what you're trying to say, but AT&T isn't the best example as they pay dividends because you're actually considered a partial owner of the company. With most stocks you get to take part in shareholder votes that can determine how the company operates. Also with stocks, depending on your stock class, if the company goes bankrupt you're entitled to compensation based on the value of the remaining assets (once it's been picked over by creditors and whatnot).  Good luck getting a portion of a page from that Action Comics #1 you bought a "share" of if RallyRd goes belly up. 

All of that being said, I also think the stock market in general is mostly a scam these days. Most companies don't offer dividends anymore and everything is based on constant unsustainable growth to drive "value" for shareholders of massive hedge funds that use sophisticated algorithms to conduct hundreds of micro transactions per second. Some hedge funds have built multi-billion dollar fiber lines linked directly to stock exchanges for the sole reason of beating their competitors trading times by .000000001 second. It's all based on constant market manipulation by the elite.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/high-frequency-traders-push-closer-to-light-speed-with-cutting-edge-cables-11608028200

And crypto is just as scammy. Coinbase recently quietly announced that if they go bankrupt, they will probably keep your coins.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-11/coinbase-gives-256-billion-reminder-about-agonies-of-bankruptcy

And everyone said Bitcoin was a hedge against inflation, meanwhile it's down over 50%. 

On 6/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

It began storing records in 1954 and was purchased by Iron Mountain in 1998. It is here that Bill Gates stores his Corbis photographic collection in a refrigerated cave 220 feet (67 m) underground, as well as where Universal Music Group stores its United States masters.

The masters that are left you mean :( Too bad Universal was not utilizing the facility prior to the tragedy in 2008.
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/what-did-we-lose-universal-music-fire-blazed-through-archives-n1025556
The fire on June 1, 2008, destroyed anywhere from 120,000 to 175,000 master recordings - an exact number can not be pinpointed due to the overall lack of care Universal employed in inventorying.

eBay is cheap,cheap,cheap,cheap, and stingy,stingy,stingy,stingy. Everything they say or do is for their own bottom line, proudly displaying a devil may care attitude towards buyers and near absolute disdain for their sellers, they most certainly will not be using Iron Mountain storage facility in Boyers, PA .  Anyone who trusts eBay is a rube in the wait.

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/12/2022 at 1:18 PM, shadroch said:

Everyone did not say bitcoin was a hedge against inflation.  A small vocal minority claimed it was. 

Anyone saying otherwise didn't realize what was going on behind the scenes. Bitcoin went from being a fringe payment method to being almost totally controlled by massive corporations and hedge funds. Now its used mostly as an investment vehicle in one of the largest and continuous pump-and-dump schemes we've ever seen. The exact thing it was created to fight against

On 6/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, Nic8612 said:

Anyone saying otherwise didn't realize what was going on behind the scenes. Bitcoin went from being a fringe payment method to being almost totally controlled by massive corporations and hedge funds. Now its used mostly as an investment vehicle in one of the largest and continuous pump-and-dump schemes we've ever seen. The exact thing it was created to fight against

Not to mention the preferred "Currency" of Drug Dealers, Human Traffickers, and Terrorists. 

On 6/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

Not to mention the preferred "Currency" of Drug Dealers, Human Traffickers, and Terrorists. 

The vast majority, by hundreds of billions of dollars, of illegal activity occurring in the world uses actual currency.  Crypto crime is a toothpick to the cash redwood tree.

Cash is moving by the millions with drug dealers and human traffickers in your own town, and you are pretending the real problem is tech supervillains muah-ha-ha-ing in island volcano lairs with bitcoin.

Edited by valiantman