• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Romance
7 7

67 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, Dr. Love said:

Couldn't agree more.  And rare enough in grade.  What made Colletta different was his ability to portray the full range of emotions in relationship - the heartache, and the joy.  Loved women, loved fashion, an interesting mix for a guy perceived as mobbed up and connected.

Also, mad respect to the Win 8000 Prizes covers. John Santangelo, Charlton's publisher, was nimble, innovative and willing to try promotional cover pushes the others wouldn't.  The 8000 Prizes campaign lasted all of three months - Feb, March and April of 1959.  53 issues, 11 of which were romance, had the trademark ribbon taking up valuable cover real estate.  Some don't care for them, think they're a distraction.  Me, I love em and would like to own all the romance ones.

RomanticSecrtes20_fc.thumb.jpg.6b18dd34148deb209dc9b11926289aa4.jpg

That "8000 prizes" sunburst is wwaaaayyyy better than the horrible banners Marvel used to try to ruin books like X-Men 137.  :sumo:

On 12/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, Dr. Love said:

willing to try promotional cover pushes the others wouldn't

"Win a swimming POOL!"  xD

That looks like an 8.5 copy to me...  Beautiful.  :x