• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else having this issue?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,
I got back some freshly graded slabs and have been getting these weird "suction cup" like issues. It's inside and annoying to look at. I assume it won't damage the comic but not sure. What to do? Thoughts? Any and all thought appreciated! Thanks.

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

They are known as Newton Rings. 

When the plastic from the case touches the dissimilar plastic of the inner capsule, light refracts forming these artifacts.  So basically you have 2 dry pieces of plastic touching each other, not a threat to your comic. 

There are many threads about it over the years, so search "Newton Rings" in the box above to find them.  Some people hate them, some don't care, no one likes them. 

Sometimes the plastic moves due to expansion from temperature changes, etc. and can lessen the effect.  It's a bit random.

Thanks for the info. I thought Newton Rings were more rainbow like which I also have of other slabs this seemed different and less oily and more actual spirals and rings. I guess there are different types of Newton Rings? Thanks.