• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Marvel Spotlight 5
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Anyone care to check my analysis on this low grade Marvel Spotlight 5? My estimate is 2.5, but could be a 3.0 if the rest of the condition, which isn't that bad, offsets the detached bottom staple and the crossing out of the price. Top staple is loose, but attached. I paid ~$30 for this 30ish years ago, so I'm coming out ahead either way.

MS5-1.jpg

MS5-2.jpg

MS5-3.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 6/12/2022 at 1:32 PM, scburdet said:

Thanks! It's actually my 2nd copy. I just got back the other one from CGC (8.0). I am thinking of doing a sign/sketch with Roy Thomas to make it more unique. 

I just got my long-time raw "4.0"** stickered copy back from CGC...universal 5.0!

**sticker was on the bag

Edited by PeterPark

On 6/12/2022 at 1:34 PM, PeterPark said:

I just got my long-time raw "4.0" stickered copy back from CGC...universal 5.0!

Cool. Always better to get something graded at higher than you expect. Beats coming in lower

On 6/17/2022 at 3:30 PM, Mmanick said:

Nice presenting 3.0 to me. Cool book and you made out well

Thanks. Funny what sticks with you. I still remember walking into the comic shop all those years ago and seeing this hanging up behind the counter. It was rare to see any books older than a decade, and seldom prized issues. 16ish year old me must really have been a savvy collector!

On 6/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, scburdet said:

Thanks. Funny what sticks with you. I still remember walking into the comic shop all those years ago and seeing this hanging up behind the counter. It was rare to see any books older than a decade, and seldom prized issues. 16ish year old me must really have been a savvy collector!

I’d assume so especially with some of the keys your posting up. I’ve got a raw dr strange 1 similar in grade to yours but I love that value stamp on it. Especially since it’s not far from where I live 

Just FYI, this one went to the Roy Thomas signing that had a cutoff at the end of July. I've seen a few of the signings with similar cutoffs dates move in my queue, so maybe he has, or will be signing soon, and then we'll see how this one turns out. Thanks for all your input!

toy story claw machine GIF

Here ya go. Everyone, myself included, was a little too harsh. Over the last month or so, I started to think what initially guessed (2.5/3.0) was too low based on how CGC seems to rank defects. I believe it's clear they didn't treat the markdown price (someone in 1972 got a good deal for 12¢) as a major defect and I think the lack of tanning really helped out. If you read the graders' notes for the other books I sent to Roy Thomas, I suspect some of them got dropped a grade or so for this.

PXL_20220928_180530320.jpg

MS5-report.png

Edited by scburdet

On 9/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, rexinnih said:

Cover detache

lol I caught that too. It supports my assertion that they have so much volume, they skip putting in notes for the higher grade books to save time. Clearly, no one is taking the time to proofread at minimum.