• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Top 5 books you sold that keep you up at night
3 3

93 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, aardvark88 said:

The owner of the biggest local comic store (still in business) allowed me to outbid him in a live auction mano-a-mano circa 1979 for the cover art. After that, I was so poor I could only afford to xerox the top part of original art for my paper records. I believe @patcalhoun had this Show # 60 cover locked up in his collection for a while.

20220613_173117.jpg

I wonder how this got out in the first place and where it came from.  Late 1970s..art was real hard to find back then.  DC art is super scarce now and was even more so back then.

Edited by pemart1966

On 6/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, zzutak said:

Lucy.png.63ac0aa9ff320e1a880ee62ac8b05e57.png  :foryou:

Yup...even psychiatric help is not immune.  What was 5 cents a session back in the 60s is now probably $500 - $1000/session.  If I'd known, I would have gotten as much psychiatric help back then as possible...but who knew?

Edited by pemart1966

My mom forced me to sell my entire collection in 1979. It had a full set of Avengers (almost two full sets) near complete runs of Fantastic Four (starting with #4), Spider-man (starting with #4), Daredevil (starting with #8), not to mention full sets of practically everything Marvel/DC starting in about 1968-on (like Hulk 180-181, WBN 32, etc). I also had a large collection of Carl Barks ducks, including 1st Scrooge (FC 178) and Scrooge 1 (FC 386), Loads of Frazetta ECs, all the great Adams/Wrightson/Kaluta/Starlin comics from the 60's and early 70's. 

I've been trying to put that collection back together ever since. Out of about 3500 comics lost, I've recovered around 600 of the least expensive issues. When my mom died 2 years ago, I inherited her house. I sold it and am using the money to buy back the comics she made me sell. Unfortunately, the money doesn't go very far with the comics I once owned.

Edited by paqart

On 6/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, pemart1966 said:

I wonder how this got out in the first place and where it came from.  Late 1970s..art was real hard to find back then.  DC art is super scarce now and was even more so back then.

I figure the Anderson original art cover either came from Chicago /Rosemont convention that local Vancouver and Victoria, BC comic dealers flew to in the mid-1970s or from San Francisco, CA where the comix hippies migrated from to Vancouver to start up the Comic Shop.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, LordRahl said:

Hulk 1 6.5

Tales of Suspense 52 Pac Coast 9.6

FF 1 5.0

X Men 12 Pac Coast 9.8

FF 48 9.4

The 2 Pac Coast books in particular I should have never sold, won't see those again even if I could afford the asking price (which I probably can't).

Then we were ‘neighbours’ for a while, since I owned the PC x-men #13👍

On 6/14/2022 at 5:29 AM, pemart1966 said:

Yup...even psychiatric help is not immune.  What was 5 cents a session back in the 60s is now probably $500 - $1000/session.  If I'd known, I would have gotten as much psychiatric help back then as possible...but who knew?

There are shrinks out there specializing in folks that have been traumatized by premature slab sales.

(females devorcing said folks due to lost profits etc.)

On 6/13/2022 at 4:18 PM, namisgr said:

Having sold off virtually the entirety of my collection amassed off and on over 40+ years, there are a bunch of valuable books that got sold.  But I don't lose sleep over them, and made decent coin on many.

I sold:

Amazing Fantasy #15 cgc 6.5; ASM #4 cgc 9.0; #13 cgc 9.0; #15 cgc 9.0

Avengers #1 cgc 8.5; #8 cgc 9.4

Daredevil #1 cgc 8.5

Fantastic Four #1 cgc 6.5; #5 cgc 9.2; #s 36,51 Pac Coast cgc 9.6; #48 cgc 9.6; Ann #6 cgc 9.6

House of Secrets #92 cgc 9.0

Incredible Hulk #1 cgc 7.0; #2 cgc 9.0; #180 cgc 9.6; #181 cgc 9.6

Journey Into Mystery #85 Mass copy cgc 8.5; #83 cgc 6.0; Thor #165 cgc 9.4

Marvel Spotlight #5 cgc 9.4

Showcase #22 cgc 7.5

Strange Tales #110 cgc 9.0

Tales of Suspense #39 cgc 8.0 two copies; #52 Twin Cities cgc 9.2

X-Men #1 cgc 5.5; #4 cgc 8.5

Good god man! 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:49 AM, aardvark88 said:

I figure the Anderson original art cover either came from Chicago /Rosemont convention that local Vancouver and Victoria, BC comic dealers flew to in the mid-1970s or from San Francisco, CA where the comix hippies migrated from to Vancouver to start up the Comic Shop.

I wonder whether it initially came from Murphy?

On 6/14/2022 at 10:33 AM, paqart said:

My mom forced me to sell my entire collection in 1979. It had a full set of Avengers (almost two full sets) near complete runs of Fantastic Four (starting with #4), Spider-man (starting with #4), Daredevil (starting with #8), not to mention full sets of practically everything Marvel/DC starting in about 1968-on (like Hulk 180-181, WBN 32, etc). I also had a large collection of Carl Barks ducks, including 1st Scrooge (FC 186) and Scrooge 1 (FC 300), Loads of Frazetta ECs, all the great Adams/Wrightson/Kaluta/Starlin comics from the 60's and early 70's. 

I've been trying to put that collection back together ever since. Out of about 3500 comics lost, I've recovered around 600 of the least expensive issues. When my mom died 2 years ago, I inherited her house. I sold it and am using the money to buy back the comics she made me sell. Unfortunately, the money doesn't go very far with the comics I once owned.

In most instances we should listen to our mothers...this was not one of them...

Nothing should keep anyone one up at night really.  You have to remember that when these books were sold back in the day, most of them were sold at FMV or above - profits were taken.  No one had/has a crystal ball.  No one could have predicted in what direction the market was headed.

If the comics market crashed tomorrow, the same suspects would be chastising those that DIDN'T sell and as a result were left with worthless paper.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, pemart1966 said:

No one had/has a crystal ball.  No one could have predicted in what direction the market was headed.

If the comics market crashed tomorrow, the same suspects would be chastising those that DIDN'T sell and as a result were left with worthless paper.

Bitcon, Etherium crypto crashes 70% from their all time highs. Some comic spec crashes 81% recently. Market or movie hype correction:

On 6/12/2022 at 7:18 PM, BlackOut21 said:

FF5 3.0 Still annoyed about this. looks like whoever bought it sold it right after and for some reason that makes me feel a little better.

image.thumb.png.858b85dc703522103702815fc465f15d.png

Looking thru my inbox I sold two copies of FF5 $4500 for the 4.0 and $3200 for the 4.0 April 2020 on these boards.  Doh!

On 6/14/2022 at 9:33 AM, paqart said:

My mom forced me to sell my entire collection in 1979. It had a full set of Avengers (almost two full sets) near complete runs of Fantastic Four (starting with #4), Spider-man (starting with #4), Daredevil (starting with #8), not to mention full sets of practically everything Marvel/DC starting in about 1968-on (like Hulk 180-181, WBN 32, etc). I also had a large collection of Carl Barks ducks, including 1st Scrooge (FC 186) and Scrooge 1 (FC 300), Loads of Frazetta ECs, all the great Adams/Wrightson/Kaluta/Starlin comics from the 60's and early 70's. 

What was the story behind her "forcing" you to sell?