• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Top 5 books you sold that keep you up at night
3 3

93 posts in this topic

With all the growth in the last 10 years, I find myself always focused on the books I wish I didnt sell instead of the books I still have... 

I thought if I shared mine, others would share some that are far worse and make me feel better about mine...

Here goes...  I sold each of the following books for a song compared to their current values.  I think these are the worst of the bunch

TMNT 1 CGC 8.0

Marvel Spotlight 5 CGC 9.4

Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.2

JiM Annual 1 CGC 8.5

Bone 1 CGC 9.4 Signed

At one time in the 1990's I had 2 copies of Flash 123. One was in VF (probably a 7.0- 8.0 on the current scale), it would be worth a fortune right now. But the #1 book that haunts me today is a Golden Age book, Flash Comics #77. Not a key but it too was in the 7.0-8.0 range. They are so rare in that condition and now so very expensive. I may never have a chance to own one in any condition. I have since obtained a copy of 123 but alas in a much, much lower grade. I'm sure those babies are slabbed and well loved now, but I sure do miss them!:cloud9:

Last year, I sold an IH #181 CGC 8.5 and a GSXM #1 CGC 7.5 to help fund my purchase of SC #4. I am truly happy that I have a SC #4, as that is a piece of comic book history, but my main regret is that I waited too long to sell. Prices were coming down instead of continuing to go up when I sold. 

At some point in time, I will most likely replace them, but probably in lesser grades. They are two of the most important books of the Bronze Age, and I would like to have them back in my collection again.

Unfortunately, my cash flow has been significantly reduced since school got out, as there are no sub jobs available until late August. I do have a summer job helping my old school's IT department, where I do a lot of the "grunt" work. I only work four days a week for four hours a day, but it least it gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning and gives me something to do.

On 6/12/2022 at 12:59 PM, KirbyJack said:

Amazing Fantasy 15 and Hulk 1, both about 6 years ago. While I do not lose sleep over this sort of thing, my wife has asked me to stop telling her what they’re selling for now.

Ahhh. Thats what I'm talking about... you are a much stronger person than i...  I cant stop kicking myself over mine, but an AF15 & Hulk1 ????

My wife knows about books... she wouldn't tell me to stop talking about them.  She would permanently silence me and then buy herself an AF 15 with the insurance money. 

Thanks for making me feel better about mine...

Good thread... 

FF52 (a very nice copy) 

FF48... I don't really regret it because I've owned several, but I sold it for $300+ and a few years later I was watching similar copies sell on the thousands. 

ASM3 

TOS57 

Avengers 57. 

I've sold or traded many major keys, but always in an effort to upgrade. So I don't really regret any of those.  

On 6/12/2022 at 12:59 PM, KirbyJack said:

Amazing Fantasy 15 and Hulk 1, both about 6 years ago. While I do not lose sleep over this sort of thing, my wife has asked me to stop telling her what they’re selling for now.

...and has stopped telling you that it was HER idea that you sell because the market was so strong at the time.   lol  :cry:

Edited by pemart1966

None keep me up at night, but I wish I still had the following:

FF48 6,5

FF49 7.0

ASM50 8.5

IH181 7.0

ShockSuspense 6 (sold raw, graded out 7.0)

I also sold a Tim Sale Dark Victory page (with Bat & Cat) AND a Long Halloween page.  

I did well on all of them but…

The only Silver Age Book I have ever sold was a Showcase 78 CGC 9.6 - in my youth 20 years ago. It was 1/1 with none higher.   For few years it bothered me but is no longer 1/1 nor the highest

I do not sell comics and glad one of the few times I did it has not come back to "haunt" me.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:39 PM, pemart1966 said:

...and has stopped telling you that it was HER idea that you sell because the market was so strong at the time.   lol  :cry:

She's a lot more patient now. 

i bought an Aquaman 35 here on the boards, raw, in VF-w back in 2005 for less than the price of a half tank of gas in today's climate.  I no longer have that book for some reason; i assume i sold it a long while back as i had the bright idea to, i don't know, get rid of some books?

lacking complete records of any possible transaction i wouldnt say i was 'kicking myself' but i would have liked to have kept that one during the pre-movie madness a couple of years back, especially when i saw a slabbed copy in the same grade being offered on the boards for $1,000. which, being away from the scene for a while, caught me by complete surprise only matched by my surprise at my inability to locate it in my boxes.

oh well

No regrets at the time as I was making 'filthy lucre.'

Avengers 1 raw g $24

Avengers 1 raw g- taped $24

ASM 1 raw 3.5 slight resto $1,100 sold to a local wrestler.

AF 15 raw 6.0 $1,700 Cdn. consigned thru an AB, Canada comic store

Murphy Anderson cover original art Showcase #60 Spectre (not the pencil prelim) $110 US :slapfight: to Eastcoast art dealer Wally Harrington.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, aardvark88 said:

Murphy Anderson cover original art Showcase #60 Spectre (not the pencil prelim) $110 US :slapfight: to Eastcoast art dealer Wally Harrington.

Ouch.