• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap Variants Speculation
3 3

130 posts in this topic

Forgive me for asking this but I'm more of a Omnibus/TPB reader.  Now, those, especially omni's, can be quite expensive.  So, I'm looking for the hobby to pay for itself.  What are some modern cheaper variants that I can pick up and well, spec on?  I know it's all a shoot as to what gets hot and what doesn't.  Nothing's guaranteed.  But, if I can hit on a few for under $30-$40 and flip it to pay for an omnibus a bit down the road all the better.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Forgive me for asking this but I'm more of a Omnibus/TPB reader.  Now, those, especially omni's, can be quite expensive.  So, I'm looking for the hobby to pay for itself.  What are some modern cheaper variants that I can pick up and well, spec on?  I know it's all a shoot as to what gets hot and what doesn't.  Nothing's guaranteed.  But, if I can hit on a few for under $30-$40 and flip it to pay for an omnibus a bit down the road all the better.

There are a lot of YouTube channels now dedicated to this exact topic. 
Not to derail you or direct you elsewhere, but I know of at least 10 very popular channels that pump out this exact content, multiple times a week. 

If variant spec is your game, I would suggest to get your info there as they go in depth to their picks and constantly give new variants to invest in. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:55 AM, D2 said:

There are a lot of YouTube channels now dedicated to this exact topic. 
Not to derail you or direct you elsewhere, but I know of at least 10 very popular channels that pump out this exact content, multiple times a week. 

If variant spec is your game, I would suggest to get your info there as they go in depth to their picks and constantly give new variants to invest in. 

Do you know what some of them are called?  The ones I view mainly deal with the trades and omni's (Near Mint. etc.)

On 6/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Do you know what some of them are called?  The ones I view mainly deal with the trades and omni's (Near Mint. etc.)

Team CGC 9.8

ComicTom101

Swagglehaus Comics & Games

Jerno’s Comics & Pop Culture

Mint-Hunter Comics

Gem Mint Collectibles

Economics In Comics

AR_comics

Bry’s Comics

Alex the Comic Hoarder

On 6/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, D2 said:

Team CGC 9.8

ComicTom101

Swagglehaus Comics & Games

Jerno’s Comics & Pop Culture

Mint-Hunter Comics

Gem Mint Collectibles

Economics In Comics

AR_comics

Bry’s Comics

Alex the Comic Hoarder

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Just look at the variants on FOC each week, identify the ones with popular artists or first appearances that have some interest, and focus there.

Remember that a lot of the online and youtube hucksters will be trying to sell you on books they are speculating on, not the ones that will actually pan out.

Be aware of the hype, and do your own digging too - from a modern standpoint for example, Black Panther 3 wasn't really heavily touted prior to release, and it took off because of the first appearance of Tosin, while everyone and their mother knew Hulk 6 would be a first appearance prior to final order cutoff, so that book was heavily pre-ordered - that meant way, way more availability and because of that it tanked in price/spec. Hulk 6 is currently a $2-3 book, while Black Panther 3 is a $50-60 book. It's easy to overspend on spec and get caught holding the bag.

Also, go Brewers!

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 6/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, Brewcrewfan77 said:

One other tip - watch the online stores that do store exclusives and pay attention when they do sales, like BOGO sales. You can sometimes get variants on the cheap that are still desired, especially if you subscribe to their email lists and act fast (a lot of times they may only have 1-2 copies of the more desirable books). Don't expect a "get rich quick" scheme - we're talking paying $10-15 for books you can sell for $25-40. It's a grind. But if you enjoy doing it, it's not a huge amount of work and those extra $15s and $20s can add up fast enough.

If I posted 'every' variant I encounter, I would have to quit my regular job. These are some specific variants that are sought after by collectors, speculators, etc. (ex. by Royle, Campbell, ratios, etc), that may be available for preorder or on sale, AT A DISCOUNT !. They may also sell out quickly ! I am sharing with the community so that someone gets a chance at it.

If waiting for cover art, chances are you'll lose out on the book and/or price. With TFAW, you can preorder, and cancel before the FOC listed, thereby ensuring you have a copy at a good price. Others (Midtown, etc.) dont allow this.

In a nutshell, I am posting some 'cheap variant spec' that are available at the time I post. YOU need to follow-up on whether its worth your time and effort to research it.

I think the Spider-Man 2099 Exodus B cover frame variants are a good long play.  The series has introduce several new 2099 iterations to boot, though, we know how many of these characters may never amount to anything at all.  Not ratio variants, but variants nonetheless.  I think collectors will want to put the whole set together.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=spiderman+exodus+frame+variant&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc

On 7/28/2022 at 12:10 PM, gradejunky said:

I think the Spider-Man 2099 Exodus B cover frame variants are a good long play.  The series has introduce several new 2099 iterations to boot, though, we know how many of these characters may never amount to anything at all.  Not ratio variants, but variants nonetheless.  I think collectors will want to put the whole set together.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=spiderman+exodus+frame+variant&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc

I agree and did small spec buys on them just in case. I can see the Marvel 2099 universe becoming an animated D+ series.