• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Bomb (Atom Bomb comics)
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hey ya’ll, I’m mostly a golden age guy, but I recently picked up a collection that had these tucked away in it. It has issues 1-4 (doubles of issue 4), the swimsuit special, and a Steve Mannion Sketchbook labeled number 1 dated 2007. 

here’s the mycomicshop link on these books, some of the only info I’ve found. 
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=46196370

Could someone help me out with what I’ve got here?  Given how many people have added these to their want list in the last 6 months on MCS I’m guessing I’ve got something cool. Any info would help!

Thanks in advance!

6CDB3818-99F4-4D57-A53B-1F90817C292E.jpeg

On 6/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, RustyStaples said:

Hey ya’ll, I’m mostly a golden age guy, but I recently picked up a collection that had these tucked away in it. It has issues 1-4 (doubles of issue 4), the swimsuit special, and a Steve Mannion Sketchbook labeled number 1 dated 2007. 

here’s the mycomicshop link on these books, some of the only info I’ve found. 
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=46196370

Could someone help me out with what I’ve got here?  Given how many people have added these to their want list in the last 6 months on MCS I’m guessing I’ve got something cool. Any info would help!

Thanks in advance!

6CDB3818-99F4-4D57-A53B-1F90817C292E.jpeg

Steve Mannion has done art work for a bunch of publishers, including a little bit with both DC and Marvel. He's probably best known for Fearless Dawn, which has been published in a couple different places. He's got something of a following in the current world of creator-owned indies. Heck, there's even a Fearless Dawn Meets Hellboy crossover book co-written by Mannion and Mignola and put out by Albatross Funnybooks.

Some of his books are also sort of a pain to identify. Atom Bomb Comics is his self-publication imprint (as opposed to the bulk of the Fearless Dawn stuff that went through Asylum, or random books at other publishers). I believe he uses POD publisher IndyPlanet for all of those. However, he does appear to play use of a POD printer straight as far as production quantities go. There's an initial fixed-volume print run, and then open-ended POD reprint availability. The reprints, therefore, will probably always be valueless. The first runs are ... well, I actually have literally zero idea what the market interest is in his work, to be honest.

As for The Bomb #1-4, if you have a cover price of $2.95 or $2.99 (it varies by issue), that's a first-run. If the cover price is $4.99 or $5.00, that's the open-ended POD reprint. I don't think the Swimsuit book was even offered up for reprint availability. I can't see cover prices in your photo, but I assume these aren't reprints.

That sketchbook is another thing entirely. So, Mannion puts out these sketchbooks periodically. Asylum Press put out his sketchbooks in 2012, 2013, and 2014. I don't know for certain whether the one you have was actually put out in 2007, or if that's just the date on the cover art, but it's definitely rarer that the 2012-2014 books. Again, no established sales that I can find (I know there's a copy in France that's been offered for sale for about $40), but if you run across big fans of Mannion, this is definitely one of his more elusive pieces.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:47 PM, Qalyar said:

Steve Mannion has done art work for a bunch of publishers, including a little bit with both DC and Marvel. He's probably best known for Fearless Dawn, which has been published in a couple different places. He's got something of a following in the current world of creator-owned indies. Heck, there's even a Fearless Dawn Meets Hellboy crossover book co-written by Mannion and Mignola and put out by Albatross Funnybooks.

Some of his books are also sort of a pain to identify. Atom Bomb Comics is his self-publication imprint (as opposed to the bulk of the Fearless Dawn stuff that went through Asylum, or random books at other publishers). I believe he uses POD publisher IndyPlanet for all of those. However, he does appear to play use of a POD printer straight as far as production quantities go. There's an initial fixed-volume print run, and then open-ended POD reprint availability. The reprints, therefore, will probably always be valueless. The first runs are ... well, I actually have literally zero idea what the market interest is in his work, to be honest.

As for The Bomb #1-4, if you have a cover price of $2.95 or $2.99 (it varies by issue), that's a first-run. If the cover price is $4.99 or $5.00, that's the open-ended POD reprint. I don't think the Swimsuit book was even offered up for reprint availability. I can't see cover prices in your photo, but I assume these aren't reprints.

That sketchbook is another thing entirely. So, Mannion puts out these sketchbooks periodically. Asylum Press put out his sketchbooks in 2012, 2013, and 2014. I don't know for certain whether the one you have was actually put out in 2007, or if that's just the date on the cover art, but it's definitely rarer that the 2012-2014 books. Again, no established sales that I can find (I know there's a copy in France that's been offered for sale for about $40), but if you run across big fans of Mannion, this is definitely one of his more elusive pieces.

Thanks you very much for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for.  All of the prices would indicate based on that they are 1st prints, (1--2.95, 2--2.99, 3--2.99, 4--2.95, Swimsuit--5.00)

These definitely are interesting, especially the part about the sketchbook.  My guess was the sketchbook was in the range of about 50, but I truly have no idea what the other four issues are worth.  Does anyone have any idea as to their value?

Edited by RustyStaples