• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This one isn't in reality...
1 1

43 posts in this topic

This was all new to me, but I have noticed plenty of optimistic listings. When I notice, they're not the only ones available.

I havent checked this one, but I hope it's not bait  :whatthe:

Not sure but someone may eventually set the market by mistake? doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/16/2022 at 7:12 PM, World Devourer said:

I know what it is, but it isn't ASM #667 yet...

Agreed. This is definitely a rare book, and it's almost certainly a valuable book, but that doesn't mean it's a $15000 book. I have actually quite a few books with print runs comparable to this one, and none of them are 5-digit items. And, I mean, I liked the Disney+ Moon Knight, but that doesn't make this sort of thing mystically worth a fortune, either.

I know this is much like talking into a black void…

And I preface this by saying that I say these things, really to remind and to tell myself…

That I find the whole comic book collecting thing to be a bit odd. 

I can understand why the first appearance of Spider-Man would be expensive, or why a certain issue would be valuable because reading it brought a great experience, and it developed your favourite character in a certain way.

I can understand why a variant would be popular, if it was based on a good read that you thoroughly enjoy/ed and it’s the more uncommon printing. 

I can understand that old books are rare, for all sorts of different reasons. War paper donations, poor collecting habits, genuine enjoyment of the medium, all of which would contribute to a certain thing being rare and therefore valuable. 

I don’t understand why books that are not valued reads are valuable. I don’t understand how a book based solely on its cover, and its exclusivity in its rarity, is valuable. 

I don’t agree with it, fundamentally. But even not agreeing with it, it is still easy to get swept away in the desires of others. That is a problem. 

On 6/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, D2 said:

I don’t understand why books that are not valued reads are valuable. I don’t understand how a book based solely on its cover, and its exclusivity in its rarity, is valuable. 

It's an exclusive, very limited, and nearly impossible to find shade of lipstick on a pig.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, valiantman said:

It's an exclusive, very limited, and nearly impossible to find shade of lipstick on a pig.

This has to be my favourite quote of the year so far. 

(worship)

On 6/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, D2 said:

To play devil's advocate, why is a stamp valuable? Or an old coin, or a baseball card, or basically anything people collect? It really all comes down to rarity and exclusivity in some form or another, doesn't it?

On 6/17/2022 at 6:17 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

To play devil's advocate, why is a stamp valuable? Or an old coin, or a baseball card, or basically anything people collect? It really all comes down to rarity and exclusivity in some form or another, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. There are many rare things that are worthless and many common things that are relatively valuable.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, Lazyboy said:

No, it doesn't. There are many rare things that are worthless and many common things that are relatively valuable.

Sure, but my point was that there are many other examples of collectibles that you can't really interact with (i.e. read) that still have value because they are exclusive or rare. A rare or exclusive cover that is in high demand makes as much sense to have value as a stamp does.

I guess the caveat should be rarity and exclusivity plus demand equals value, regardless of what's on the interior of the book. There are plenty of examples of that.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:26 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Sure, but my point was that there are many other examples of collectibles that you can't really interact with (i.e. read) that still have value because they are exclusive or rare. A rare or exclusive cover that is in high demand makes as much sense to have value as a stamp does.

I guess the caveat should be rarity and exclusivity plus demand equals value, regardless of what's on the interior of the book. There are plenty of examples of that.

No. Not really. 

Stamps and coins, for starters, served a purpose. People bought stamps because they needed them, coins etc. And not only that but they also served historical significance and importance. 
Ironically enough, no one uses stamps anymore, and outside of a few rare examples, and that hobby has all but died out entirely. 

People do collect all sorts of things, that’s true. People collected ferbies and we all know how that turned out. 

I would actually argue, based on your examples, that for something to withstand the sands of time in a collector realm, that the item(s) in question will have to hold more significance than just their rarity. 

So that flashy cover with 25 printed… might be rare, but if no one cares, much to Lazyboy’s point, the longevity of that collectible will die in the next generation. 

Edited by D2

On 6/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, D2 said:

No. Not really. 

Stamps and coins, for starters, served a purpose. People bought stamps because they needed them, coins etc. And not only that but they also served historical significance and importance. 
Ironically enough, no one uses stamps anymore, and outside of a few rare examples, and that hobby has all but died out entirely. 

People do collect all sorts of things, that’s true. People collected ferbies and we all know how that turned out. 

I would actually argue, based on your examples, that for something to withstand the sands of time in a collector realm, that the item(s) in question will have to hold more significance than just their rarity. 

So that flashy cover with 25 printed… might be rare, but if no one cares, much to Lazyboy’s point, the longevity of that collectible will die in the next generation. 

I actually agree with you in much of this - I think this Moon Knight is probably overvalued (the original example that the OP posted is obviously WAY overvalued) - and I think there are a lot of modern variants that will never stand the test of time. But then we see examples like Batman 423, Hulk 340, etc. Not modern variant books, but also not being bought for the contents of the book; they're being bought for cover alone. You could even make that argument for classics like Batman 227. My only point was that there are exceptions to every rule, and in those cases, it's the rarity and exclusivity (plus demand) that drives those prices.

You could argue that those books that I used as examples aren't necessarily rare or exclusive, but compared to the overall demnad for them, they are rare and exclusive enough that the number of collectors who want them outstrips the number of copies available, thereby drive up the price.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 6/17/2022 at 11:21 AM, D2 said:

I know this is much like talking into a black void…

And I preface this by saying that I say these things, really to remind and to tell myself…

That I find the whole comic book collecting thing to be a bit odd. 

I can understand why the first appearance of Spider-Man would be expensive, or why a certain issue would be valuable because reading it brought a great experience, and it developed your favourite character in a certain way.

I can understand why a variant would be popular, if it was based on a good read that you thoroughly enjoy/ed and it’s the more uncommon printing. 

I can understand that old books are rare, for all sorts of different reasons. War paper donations, poor collecting habits, genuine enjoyment of the medium, all of which would contribute to a certain thing being rare and therefore valuable. 

I don’t agree with it, fundamentally. But even not agreeing with it, it is still easy to get swept away in the desires of others. That is a problem. 

Do you genuinely not comprehend the concept of people prioritizing art over writing in comics?

Edited by Djangology

On 6/17/2022 at 10:48 PM, Djangology said:

Do you genuinely not comprehend the concept of people prioritizing art over writing in comics?

I think simple minds are attracted to pretty things and lack the awareness that it’s the writing which sticks to their minds. 

On 6/17/2022 at 9:55 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I actually agree with you in much of this - I think this Moon Knight is probably overvalued (the original example that the OP posted is obviously WAY overvalued) - and I think there are a lot of modern variants that will never stand the test of time. But then we see examples like Batman 423, Hulk 340, etc. Not modern variant books, but also not being bought for the contents of the book; they're being bought for cover alone. You could even make that argument for classics like Batman 227. My only point was that there are exceptions to every rule, and in those cases, it's the rarity and exclusivity (plus demand) that drives those prices.

You could argue that those books that I used as examples aren't necessarily rare or exclusive, but compared to the overall demnad for them, they are rare and exclusive enough that the number of collectors who want them outstrips the number of copies available, thereby drive up the price.

True. 

I’ll be honest though, I am very curious how collectibles of all sorts will evolve over the next decade. Cars included. 
A classic car now, 64 Stingray is virtually unaffordable, but will a future generation appreciate it enough to pay the demanding price tags? I have no idea, but I am so interested to find out. 
I bring up the car example only because I have an uncle who owned a very rare 50s model (can’t remember the car). Long story short, he missed his sale window and sold the car for a lot less than he could have. His biggest regret was not selling it much much earlier as he expected it to only increase with value over time. That didn’t happen. 

On 6/17/2022 at 11:01 PM, D2 said:

I think simple minds are attracted to pretty things and lack the awareness that it’s the writing which sticks to their minds. 

Imagine taking the position publicly that the enjoyment of art is for simple people and reducing the entire product of humanity's creativity to "it looks pretty." 

I can never tell if your posts are serious or not. You're genuinely asking why a comic can sell for thousands of dollars just based on the cover art? It is no different than an art print. Is there a market for those? :facepalm:

On 6/17/2022 at 11:05 PM, D2 said:

True. 

I’ll be honest though, I am very curious how collectibles of all sorts will evolve over the next decade. Cars included. 
A classic car now, 64 Stingray is virtually unaffordable, but will a future generation appreciate it enough to pay the demanding price tags? I have no idea, but I am so interested to find out. 
I bring up the car example only because I have an uncle who owned a very rare 50s model (can’t remember the car). Long story short, he missed his sale window and sold the car for a lot less than he could have. His biggest regret was not selling it much much earlier as he expected it to only increase with value over time. That didn’t happen. 

Yeah, I wonder about this sometimes too - I know it's a small sample size, but my kid (14) and his friends have zero interest in comics, despite a couple of us dads having collections. My kid would rather spend money on digital video game items than physical items. It makes me wonder how much people will care about buying comics in 20-30 years. I think the big books will stand the test of time, but a lot of the flavor-of-the-month variants probably won't. That's why I typically only buy variant covers I really like and try to get them on the cheap - if I can't sell them, at least I like looking at them.