• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stopping Further Rust Migration
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi all! So I have this book. It’s rough but I love it. I know it’s a 1.0-1.5 at best.

I would really like to stop further rust migration at the staples and was wondering if this is even possible. Or is the book just destined now over time to continue to developers darker and darker stains around the staple? Or will proper storage keep it as is for another 40 years or so? 

I appreciate any insight!

8E658538-AD63-46C0-8EE5-42291719ADC8.jpeg

On 6/17/2022 at 7:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Unless the staples are replaced or removed, I do not think that further migration can be prevented unless you deprive the whole book of oxygen and moisture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That is what I figured....I just don't want the book to be a dark stained and ugly mess in the future. If removing the staples can help with that, I would tackle it. Would rather that than have the book destined to get worse and worse until it looks like some that I have seen where the rust has really destroyed the book.