• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the bigger Bronze Age key in terms of value and historical significance: Superman v. Spider-Man or Superman v. Muhammad Ali?
1 1

Bigger Bronze Age Key  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger Bronze Age key: Superman v. Spider-Man or Superman v. Muhammad Ali?

• Superman v. Spider-Man
    • Superman v. Muhammad Ali
    • Not sure/don’t know

35 posts in this topic

Battle of the Treasuries!

I remember growing up in the mid to late 1970s and seeing these treasuries advertised in their respective company’s comic books. Which is the bigger Bronze Age key in terms of value and historical significance?

Superman v. Amazing Spider-Man

or

Superman v. Muhammad Ali

Thanks for any insight!

john

My opinion: Superman vs. Muhammad Ali

Reality: Superman vs. Muhammad Ali

Better book: Superman vs. Muhammad Ali

Reality 20 years from now when no one remembers the athletic, cultural, and political importance of the incomparable Muhammad Ali: Superman vs. Spider-Man...hey wait, why is Spider-Man a white guy named Peter Parker? Where's Miles? Comics began the year Amazon launched comixology and those Marvel movies came out, didn't they?

PXL_20220430_023825021.jpg

Edited by Kripsys99

Supes vs Spidey; the Ali book is a lousy read and does not hold up. Wanted one forever, bothered to get one, read it, unloaded it. In short order. Not memorable content.
Yes, it’s pretty. Yes, Ali is/was singularly influential among athletes as well as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of his game. But it’s a fading game, and real-life celebrity really does fade. And it’s a mediocre comic.

The iconic cover will keep it relevant as a collectible at some level as long as there’s fight fans, but Supes meeting Spidey is bigger for this hobby and has longer legs within it. 2c

On 6/19/2022 at 11:04 AM, sfcityduck said:

Clearly the Marvel DC crossover was the more significant book and was recognized as such at the time. There were articles about it. The Ali book was not any kind of first, any kind trailblazer, and didn’t have any lasting impact.  It’s also not as good read.

I’ve been going back and forth on these books but remember the debates we had as kids about Supes v. Spidey and who was better. What the Ali book has going for it is the work Neal Adams did in capturing the 1970s era of celebrity. Time has been kind to the Ali book thanks to Neal’s artistic achievement. In fact, I would argue that with the recent passing of Adams, the Ali book will go down as Neal’s greatest single volume work of art in time as we look back and evaluate the corpus of the greatest comic book artist of his generation. 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, bronze johnny said:

I’ve been going back and forth on these books but remember the debates we had as kids about Supes v. Spidey and who was better. What the Ali book has going for it is the work Neal Adams did in capturing the 1970s era of celebrity. Time has been kind to the Ali book thanks to Neal’s artistic achievement. In fact, I would argue that with the recent passing of Adams, the Ali book will go down as Neal’s greatest single volume work of art in time as we look back and evaluate the corpus of the greatest comic book artist of his generation. 

I'll have whatever he is imbibing in.  Make it a double.  Did you really spend a lot of time debating Supes vs Spiderman? 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, shadroch said:

I'll have whatever he is imbibing in.  Make it a double.  Did you really spend a lot of time debating Supes vs Spiderman? 

Were you ever an 8 year old? Or did you just skip childhood?

i'm having a fantastic childhood, and I still wouldn't waste a moment debating Superman vs. Spiderman. We debated important things like Spalding vs. Pennsy Pinky or  Coke vs. Royal Crown.   Keds vs. PF. Flyers.  Daniel Boone vs. Davy Crockett.   Kirk vs. Saunders.

The important things.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:10 PM, shadroch said:

i'm having a fantastic childhood, and I still wouldn't waste a moment debating Superman vs. Spiderman. We debated important things like Spalding vs. Pennsy Pinky or  Coke vs. Royal Crown.   Keds vs. PF. Flyers.  Daniel Boone vs. Davy Crockett.   Kirk vs. Saunders.

The important things.

Seems like you missed out on a lot because in my day as a kid it was Spalding v. Wilson; Coke v. Pepsi; Keds v. Pro-Keds v. Puma; Firebird v. Camaro; Star Trek v. Star Wars; Yankees v. Mets; Seaver or Ryan; Bradshaw v. Staubach;  Lee v. Levi; Big Mac v. Whopper; Kareem v. Wilt; Hull v. Howe; DiMaggio v. Mantle or Mantle v. Maya; Dairy Queen v. Baskin Robbins; Lee v. Norris; and Marvel v. DC - and within that topic were debates over which characters were better and who would win, and the limited times we saw that started with Supes v. Spidey. There’s much more we debated back in the day, especially when we’d hear and listen to our elders discussing and arguing over matters of the day. They were important to us as kids because we didn’t know any better as 8 year olds. There was one exception I guess. One who was omniscient who judges what was important for all of us…you of course(thumbsu

Edited by bronze johnny

I didn't really care for either matchup.  While it was kool to see Clark and Lois interacting with the Marvel Universe, the plot sucked.  The best part of Supes vs. M.A. was Adams drawing celebrities in the crowd. How many of them are even remembered these days? Like everything DC was putting out in the mid-1970s, it didn't come close to expectations.  DC had been teasing a Superman vs. Captain Marvel for years since they started putting out Shazam.  They never did do it right. There is a reason late BA DC doesn't sell well. Most of it is garbage.