• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi Yo Silver Away! Do you crack a CGC case to attempt to have The Lone Ranger's Signature verified by CBCS? Or just get them JSA authenticated?

13 posts in this topic

Ok, the first "Super Hero" I discovered when I was a kid was The Lone Ranger on TV. I seen these and I could not help myself - I had to buy them! Definitely a purchase decision made by the heart. Right now these books sure feel like a good purchase just because it makes an old man feel like a kid again. Once again, I think I may have my heart lead me by throwing more money into the wind. Who has CBCS crack these cases to have Clayton Moore's signatures verified? Or do you keep them as is and have JSA authenticate them? How many of you want to talk me off the ledge? 

lr 1.jpg

lr3.jpg

lr4.jpg

lr5.jpg

lr6.jpg

lr7.jpg

On 6/17/2022 at 9:10 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm not sure if a CBCS would add value by verifying the signature. It may, I really don't know. 

But if this was my personal collection, I would leave them. The signatures look beautiful and it's important to you. No reason to put them in those ugly CBCS labels. 

I agree the signatures look great. I bought them because I enjoy them - not for an investment. I guess the only reason is when I get that question -"How do you know the signatures are real? " I could at least say the signatures were verified by experts. I assume I can get a JSA authentication and keep the books as is. 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I agree the signatures look great. I bought them because I enjoy them - not for an investment. I guess the only reason is when I get that question -"How do you know the signatures are real? " I could at least say the signatures were verified by experts. I assume I can get a JSA authentication and keep the books as is. 

Will JSA authenticate something encapsulated?  I would think they have to be able to see the signature unobstructed so they can get a look at the ink and paper.

Edited by revat

On 6/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, revat said:

Will JSA authenticate something encapsulated?  I would think they have to be able to see the signature unobstructed so they can get a look at the ink and paper.

Good question. I just kind of assumed they would. If so, this gives another option other than the CBCS verified signatures. They are going to be about 3 hours away from at an event in a couple of weeks. I may make a road trip because they are doing in person authentications. 

If you're happy with the way that they match up with "authenticated" Clayton Moore signatures - leave them alone.

If you're not happy with the way that they match up - then it's not worth cracking them open.

On 6/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, revat said:

I contacted JSA and asked them this very question. Their response: 

"We can definitely help you with your items, although any certification sticker will be adhered to a LOA  and not the item for obvious reasons."

A full letter of authentication for a Clayton Moore signature is $35.00. So now, this begs the question, would a person better off with a CGC graded comic with a JSA authentication versus a CBCS verified signature. Thoughts anyone? 

On 6/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I contacted JSA and asked them this very question. Their response: 

"We can definitely help you with your items, although any certification sticker will be adhered to a LOA  and not the item for obvious reasons."

A full letter of authentication for a Clayton Moore signature is $35.00. So now, this begs the question, would a person better off with a CGC graded comic with a JSA authentication versus a CBCS verified signature. Thoughts anyone? 

IF you are considering a reslab, you MIGHT (or get an expert to) consider  if there is any non-restorative pressing or cleaning that can be applied to the comic that may help improve the grade.  Of course that would also cost more money.  But just a consideration....