• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Jungle Action 6—not sure the distributor ink was a factor
3 3

21 posts in this topic

I was going to save this one for later, but someone posted a PGM on ASM123 and I thought mine had the same issue as this copy of JA6 (I misremembered, it was my ASM109). I decided to go ahead and abuse the good people on this board with another post since I had these out anyway. I showed this to my CGC facilitator recently, and he had a name for this extra ink along the edge, but I either forgot what he called it, or there's not a good resource I can Google. It's a pretty nice book otherwise. If it is a manufacturers thing (which seems right), I wonder if anyone has sent one of these to CGC before and knows how they weigh it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 6/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, shadroch said:

That looks like distributor overspray to me, and an excess amount should hurt the grade. 

That's what he called it. I kept Googling ink spray and similar. The other book I have is more oversprayed spots all over the edges of the interior pages and so forth.. At least this one is limited to the back cover/spine. There's not ink on the interior pages 

On 6/18/2022 at 1:36 AM, Mmanick said:

I posted the ASM 123. I'd say the book is a strong 8.0

Thanks. I don't know whether to be happy my ASM123 doesn't have an overspray, or sad my 109 has an overspray lol. The 123 has the cooler cover.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:07 PM, MrRoboto said:

Yes, it’s a manufacturing defect. It’s called “bleed through”. Should not affect the grade. 8.5-9.0

It's not a manufacturing defect. It has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the comic.  It's distributor's overspray. A common practice at the time was for comic distributors to spray comics with ink along edges.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, shadroch said:

Would you pay a 8.5 price for that book?

Depends on if they bring back Michael B Jordan to play the Black Panther lol. I'm pretty sure I paid less than what I can get for it now.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:21 AM, scburdet said:

Depends on if they bring back Michael B Jordan to play the Black Panther lol. I'm pretty sure I paid less than what I can get for it now.

The choice of an actor affects the condition of a book?

On 6/18/2022 at 6:58 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

It's not a manufacturing defect. It has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the comic.  It's distributor's overspray. A common practice at the time was for comic distributors to spray comics with ink along edges.

Oh, ok. I learn something new everyday.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:13 AM, shadroch said:

Would you pay a 8.5 price for that book?

Nah. Get it graded and it'd be a good example to buy the book, not the grade. Even though the flaw is on the back cover, you could get a lower grade copy that overall looks much nicer.

Besides, I'm a FN/VF range collector.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:39 AM, MrRoboto said:

Oh, ok. I learn something new everyday.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, grendelbo said:

Nah. Get it graded and it'd be a good example to buy the book, not the grade. Even though the flaw is on the back cover, you could get a lower grade copy that overall looks much nicer.

Besides, I'm a FN/VF range collector.

Only been on this thread for about a week, and I'm already causing a civil war. Take that Tony Stark. I'm inclined to agree with you here. I only vaguely recall buying it, but I suspect that I few bidders were scared off by the overspray, so I might have gotten a better price than I would have otherwise for a book with similar front cover eye appeal. It's in my grading queue, but that queue is >30 years deep with books I've been acquiring. I think we've waded through the express tier candidates and this one is mid-standard, so it might be a while. It is crazy to learn about something (overspray) even after so many years as a semi-serious hobbyist. 

Also, most distributor spray is on the top or bottom edge of the book. Grading standards for this sort of things reflect common practice, and hosing down the spine with distributor's ink is not common practice. I think this is going to take a hit to the grade because of: 1) the position of the ink, 2) the fact they sprayed this book with a fire hose of it, and 3) the bleedthrough to interior pages 

Otherwise, nice book. UR corner obviously got a bit bent, and the LR corner is a teensy bit soft, but how they handle the spray will be the controlling defect. I'll go with 8.0 here, plus or minus one grade based on how exactly they adjudicate the nonstandard spray and its interior bleedthrough.

The term (as others have said) is distributor ink overspray.

As for its effect, depends on severity. Yours I would call moderate since it is the entire spine and very noticeable (minor cases you usually see a small splotch on the top edge of a cover, in addition to the top of the pages being coloured. I've seen blue, red, orange and green used before. But again, back to your book. I would think 8.0-8.5. Personally the ink should keep the book out of the 9.2 and up range with that amount but I guess the only way to confirm would be to send it in!

On 6/21/2022 at 11:50 AM, comicginger1789 said:

The term (as others have said) is distributor ink overspray.

As for its effect, depends on severity. Yours I would call moderate since it is the entire spine and very noticeable (minor cases you usually see a small splotch on the top edge of a cover, in addition to the top of the pages being coloured. I've seen blue, red, orange and green used before. But again, back to your book. I would think 8.0-8.5. Personally the ink should keep the book out of the 9.2 and up range with that amount but I guess the only way to confirm would be to send it in!

Yeah, after lobbing this grenade into the forum, I should move this up the the submission queue to settle the argument lol I expect my last set of submissions to come back sometime around the end of next month give or take shifts in CGC's semi-arbitrary turnaround times, we can put this to bed sometime in November I'm guessing.