• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20 years in the making of my framed Marvel Value Stamp collection

34 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, Artboy99 said:

Nice book, i have a full one too.

I remembered you did, but that is so cool, both of them. Time flies but 20 years to fruition and fulfillment is ^^

On 6/19/2022 at 9:00 PM, Artboy99 said:

Hi all,

I was encouraged by my friend @kimik to post this in Comics General.

Here for all to see is my framed Marvel Value Stamp booklets. It contains my Stan Lee signed series A booklet (1974) with the series B booklet (1976). Also in the center are the Marvel adverts that fueled my collecting focus when I was 6-10 years old. The "Marvel" advert in the center is from 1971, and I collected books for every character whose head appears there. The advert for the Hulk vs the Thing was the second time I had seen them in a fight, the first being the very first comic book I ever purchased which was Fantastic Four 112. And of course, the advert for Hulk 181 the Wolverine. 

Surrounding the center are select Marvel Value Stamps I clipped from beat books I purchased at the Calgary Comic Expo in April 2022 for the purpose of creating this unique keepsake that is now finally on display.

This journey of capturing an era of comic collecting that is special to me started in my estimation around 20 years ago when I began searching for a series A booklet that didn't have any stamps in it. I found many booklets with stamps ranging from complete to only a few but finding an empty one was a challenge! Why I wanted an empty book was because my plan was to purchase all 307 books that contained the stamps that I would put into period correct 1970's spinner racks. In sept 2013, I finally acquired the empty series A 1974 booklet. I got it signed when Stan Lee made an appearance at the Calgary Expo in 2015, my departed friend Steve (RIP) offered to get a few things signed and since he was willing to stand in line I gave him my series A book to get signed. I couldn't go myself as I was operating a vendor booth at the show. Thanks my friend.

I finally acquired the 1976 series B booklet in April of this year. I was looking for a very high grade book to match my series A.

Finally with all the pieces at hand I played with the layouts until I settled on this one and took it to a local picture framing place and here it is.

Thanks for looking.

Marvel Value Stamp framed.jpg

Rad.  The red matboard is a great border.  

On 6/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, CJ Design said:

Excellent display Artboy99! Beautiful. Yes, ETA Nick just finished his before he signed off from YT. His clipping technique was Surgeon like.

I saw that. The book he acquired had stamps in it that were already  meticulously cut so he felt he needed to continue. 

On 6/20/2022 at 11:50 AM, Artboy99 said:

I saw that. The book he acquired had stamps in it that were already  meticulously cut so he felt he needed to continue. 

I'm meticulously cuttin the value stamp out of my Hulk 181 immediately!!