• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When was Superman first unequivocally depicted as flying in a comic book?
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2022 at 3:14 PM, Stronguy said:

Action 21 has Superman changing direction in midair to pursue a fleeing airplane.  He was on the ground in the panel before so it's possible he jumped, but it appears obvious that he is able to control his movement in the air somehow.

image.png.f4f31c52c6994922c18e30d436bd4b8c.png

I'm more concerned with 1940/41  plausibility of the last panel.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:16 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, I think the act of swooping itself implies control over his movement in the air.  Without control, you don't swoop--you plummet.

watch some skydiving videos.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:14 PM, Stronguy said:

Action 21 has Superman changing direction in midair to pursue a fleeing airplane.  He was on the ground in the panel before so it's possible he jumped, but it appears obvious that he is able to control his movement in the air somehow.

image.png.f4f31c52c6994922c18e30d436bd4b8c.png

And late in that same issue he does it again, outmaneuvering and losing an airplane in the clouds, then descending (apparently controlled) into a crater.

image.png.3c681ba152ba40a2142c5246e147b918.png

On 6/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, kav said:

watch some skydiving videos.

If any of them end with a swoop like this, I don't think I want to see them...

image.png.9fc3cdb017cf6f7987e8e3826e482a87.png

On 6/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, Axe Elf said:

If any of them end with a swoop like this, I don't think I want to see them...

image.png.9fc3cdb017cf6f7987e8e3826e482a87.png

skydivers can swoop way more than that-they can move laterally quite a distance.
But to answer your question of 'how he got up there', he jumped.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:23 PM, kav said:

skydivers can swoop way more than that-they can move laterally quite a distance.

Typically not in a near-horizontal path 50 feet from the ground, tho...

Edited by Axe Elf

On 6/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

What's not to believe?  As revealed in the last issue, it's the brain of a man, Ultra, that has been transplanted into the body of Dolores Winters.  What, did you think a woman could be a super villain?  Utter poppycock! 

image.png.f2912fe429ed56a1e92d4855ba911896.png

Edited by Stronguy

On 6/20/2022 at 12:24 PM, Axe Elf said:

Typically not in a near-horizontal path 50 feet from the ground, tho...

dropping from 1000 feet yes they can swoop the last 50 feet from the ground-as superman is depicted doing.
Man you really have trouble understanding things in your effort to be right all the time.  Its an IQ killer.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, kav said:

dropping from 1000 feet yes they can swoop the last 50 feet from the ground-as superman is depicted doing.
Man you really have trouble understanding things in your effort to be right all the time.  Its an IQ killer.

Without a parachute?

'Cos if you're talking about WITH a parachute, then we're back to controlled flight again.

And parenthetically, it's no "effort" to be right all the time; it's just the way things usually work out.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 6/20/2022 at 12:47 PM, Axe Elf said:

Without a parachute?

'Cos if you're talking about WITH a parachute, then we're back to controlled flight again.

And parenthetically, it's no "effort" to be right all the time; it's just the way things usually work out.

yes without a parachute.  as I said, skydivers can swoop laterally for quite a distance before they pull the cord.
Look your original post was 'how did superman get up there in the first place", which is a pretty dumb question.  In order to obfuscate that, you're going on and on about swooping.  Your intelligence test has left the building already.

Edited by kav

On 6/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, kav said:

yes without a parachute.  as I said, skydivers can swoop laterally for quite a distance before they pull the cord.

I don't believe you.

I don't believe a skydiver can travel in a horizontal line, parallel to the earth, 50 feet above the ground, before they pull the cord.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:28 PM, Stronguy said:

What's not to believe?  As revealed in the last issue, it's the brain of a man, Ultra, that has been transplanted into the body of Dolores Winters.  What, did you think a woman could be a super villain?  Utter poppycock! 

No, the video monitoring of Superman on the Plane

On 6/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

Now we get to Action #30.

It look pretty obvious that Superman can change direction in midair.  The panel before this he's on a building so he could have jumped down but then he snatches Lois and flies up, at least that's how it looks.  He could have landed, grabbed her, then jumped again.

image.png.58d620fa4de298796d096e3522f94df4.png

Later in that same issue, Superman rips the evil Arab's rocket ship apart then carries the girl he just rescued "aloft".  He's going to have to be flying to do that.

image.png.0b21dbde0f6dfc549b135b2e68714b0f.png

On 6/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, Axe Elf said:

I don't believe you.

I don't believe a skydiver can travel in a horizontal line, parallel to the earth, 50 feet above the ground, before they pull the cord.

Now youre changing the definition of swooping.  swooping is not travelling in a horizontal line parallel to earth.   and swooping is not reliant on how close you are to the earth once you have reached terminal velocity-the air resistance enables you to move laterally and down, which is what swooping is.  Of course you will die swooping 50 feet off the ground, unless you are superman.
you dont believe anything that would include you being wrong.

I did always wonder why the cartoon said, "faster than a locomotive, leap tall buildings in a single bound!"

Kind of an odd thing to say about someone that by the time I watched, everyone knew he could fly.

Kind of like watching Smallville.

Maybe that is why Smallville was the way it was?

On 6/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, kav said:

Now youre changing the definition of swooping.  swooping is not travelling in a horizontal line parallel to earth.   and swooping is not reliant on how close you are to the earth once you have reached terminal velocity-the air resistance enables you to move laterally and down, which is what swooping is.  Of course you will die swooping 50 feet off the ground, unless you are superman.
you dont believe anything that would include you being wrong.

I was thinking maybe he never saw the movie Point Break? Then again, even when "I did" I thought it was "movie magic."

Sometimes, it's like the movie jack arses and we need to have the warning at the beginning "don't try this at home", before we "believe" (shrug) 

On 6/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, kav said:

Now youre changing the definition of swooping.  swooping is not travelling in a horizontal line parallel to earth.   and swooping is not reliant on how close you are to the earth

I posted a panel of one of the comics in question, in which Superman is moving basically horizontally about 50 feet above ground, described by the text in the panel as "swooping."  You said a skydiver could do that.  I disagree.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

I posted a panel of one of the comics in question, in which Superman is moving basically horizontally about 50 feet above ground, described by the text in the panel as "swooping."  You said a skydiver could do that.  I disagree.

I'm out.