• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored but not qualified
3 3

22 posts in this topic

I just got this back from the Claremont signing (https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4030430001/). I sent it in knowing about (and not caring) the color touch. I bought it knowing the raw book was restored. What's not in the grader notes or label is any mention of an internal clipping. I know it's there b/c when I bought it, I got a partial refund b/c the seller disclosed the restoration, but didn't notice the clipping. This is one of the "does not affect story" clippings. It was some coupon or mail-in something. It does not look like CGC has a combined SS/R/Q label, but I'm surprised it's not mentioned on the label or grader notes. Is this unusual? Did the graders forget to add that note, or is the R label considered a significant enough defect that the the Q wouldn't matter?

20220621_155441.jpg

I would expect that something missing:makepoint: from inside a comic that has now been sealed is a big deal, and should be mentioned somewhere - notes or label.

How can someone, at a future time, arrive at a value for a collectible if you don't know the whole story?  You shouldn't be able to bury the truth.

On 6/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, Lightning55 said:

I would expect that something missing:makepoint: from inside a comic that has now been sealed is a big deal, and should be mentioned somewhere - notes or label.

How can someone, at a future time, arrive at a value for a collectible if you don't know the whole story?  You shouldn't be able to bury the truth.

Kind of what I was thinking. If I ever sell, the future buyer will have to be content that I am an honest man and will mention the clipping.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, Lightning55 said:

You could conclude that they just missed the clipped item.  But isn't that part of the page check, like the very first step???  If you're checking pages, counting pages, it would be hard to miss that.

One would think, but I've been around long enough to realize that a lot of people aren't that good at their jobs lol

On 6/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, Lightning55 said:

You could conclude that they just missed the clipped item.  But isn't that part of the page check, like the very first step???  If you're checking pages, counting pages, it would be hard to miss that.

Yes, first step to adding those finger bends....

On 6/21/2022 at 2:46 PM, zzutak said:

A book with a clipped coupon should grade waaaaay lower than 6.5, even if it was flawless in all other respects.  I think the two independent graders  ( :whistle: ) must have each overlooked the missing piece.  D-oh!  doh!

x94.png.383f8feff84569001bdc14a309a30a84.png

Not if it is getting a Qualified label. It certainly should be notated on the label 

On 6/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, scburdet said:

It does not look like CGC has a combined SS/R/Q label

This is correct.  CGC does not have a "3-way" SS/R/Q label.  All CGC graders should know this, so any single defect that might be "overlooked" by awarding the book a Qualified Grade must (must!) be accounted for.  :sumo:

On 6/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, zzutak said:

A book with a clipped coupon should grade waaaaay lower than 6.5, even if it was flawless in all other respects.  I think the two independent graders  ( :whistle: ) must have each overlooked the missing piece.  D-oh!  doh!

x94.png.383f8feff84569001bdc14a309a30a84.png

I am aware of the graders are checking/counting pages.  Are the graders checking for the restorations too?  I watched Matt Nelson's video about how to grade the books.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:58 PM, JollyComics said:

I am aware of the graders are checking/counting pages.  Are the graders checking for the restorations too?  I watched Matt Nelson's video about how to grade the books.

You would think that - but I got back a pretty big key recently which I had work done on to address a few glaring issues and CGC missed ALL THE WORK and gave it a Universal label. It's also not like I was trying to pull a fast one - it was submitted with other books that got work done, coming directly from the professional who also disclosed all the work on paper with the submission :D

(It now sits in my PC with a sticky note on the slab, and if it ever has to be sold I'll crack it and list it raw - as I will always disclose all work done but cannot trust any buyer not to screw somebody else with it after it leaves my hands)