• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overwhelmed with inherited trading cards
5 5

28 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 10:38 AM, Galen130 said:

This would be the place to start.  I would refer to @CGC Mike on this because I’m not familiar with this forum.  I’ve been selling cards in the Mixed sales thread because the trading card forums didn’t really exist back then.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/101-trading-card-marketplace/

Not to bash you but that forum looks dead.

What is everyones' thoughts on sending in some of the Pirsm Spider-Man cards to CGC for grading(1992 Mcfarlane and 30th anniversary cards)? The difference in a graded vs raw is a 10:1 value and the ones I have are not in bad shape at all. They've practically been kept in sleeves and card holders for 25+ years.

Edited by jou13

On 6/24/2022 at 11:37 AM, jou13 said:

What is everyones' thoughts on sending in some of the Pirsm Spider-Man cards to CGC for grading(1992 Mcfarlane and 30th anniversary cards)? The difference in a graded vs raw is a 10:1 value and the ones I have are not in bad shape at all. They've practically been kept in sleeves and card holders for 25+ years.

Very generally, you should look at CGC's website and see which sets of cards they grade.  Intuitively, you might think they grade most comic related cards.  In reality, they grade mostly Trading Card Games, and very very few comic-related cards, though they have said they plan to possibly add more comic-related sets to their grading pool (but have not specifically mentioned which sets or how soon).

As for your specific cards that you are asking about, I believe CGC does not grade those cards at this time (of course check for yourself).  If you are considering having them graded, you might consider other companies and doing your own cost/benefit analysis based on what you think the grades might be, a basic search on ebay will probably reveal some suitable alternatives and some achievable prices.  A detailed discussion of the grading attributes of a CGC competitor company may not be appropriate on these forums.

Good luck.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, revat said:

Very generally, you should look at CGC's website and see which sets of cards they grade.  Intuitively, you might think they grade most comic related cards.  In reality, they grade mostly Trading Card Games, and very very few comic-related cards, though they have said they plan to possibly add more comic-related sets to their grading pool (but have not specifically mentioned which sets or how soon).

As for your specific cards that you are asking about, I believe CGC does not grade those cards at this time (of course check for yourself).  If you are considering having them graded, you might consider other companies and doing your own cost/benefit analysis based on what you think the grades might be, a basic search on ebay will probably reveal some suitable alternatives and some achievable prices.  A detailed discussion of the grading attributes of a CGC competitor company may not be appropriate on these forums.

Good luck.

Thanks revat! I realized after I made the comment that CGC does not slab these kinds of trading cards. Kind of surprised Marvel and DC cards weren’t the first on their list. 
Looks like I’ll have to look at other venues. 

Sorry for your loss, it's a very fun collection you've been left with.  If you're still holding I'm interested in some of the Star Wars.  I'll have to browse through and see which ones I need but I'll message you directly soon.

Also worth noting now that the the word is Marvel/DC cards may be accepted very soon at CGC, so might want to keep an eye on their main page.

Edited by oluckydayo

On 6/27/2022 at 3:52 PM, jou13 said:

Thanks revat! I realized after I made the comment that CGC does not slab these kinds of trading cards. Kind of surprised Marvel and DC cards weren’t the first on their list. 
Looks like I’ll have to look at other venues. 

Apologies in advance for being blunt

From what I see in the Pic's for the most part you will pay as much for grading as the cards will command in the open market.  To maximize sale value PSA should used however their charges+shipping+very long turn around time will be a losing proposition unless the cards at at bare minimum PSA 9 Mint although turning a profit (vs expenses) on what I see even in PSA 9 will be a challenge.  With PSA's harsher recent grading and forced maintenance of census medians 10's are not a possibility based on the pics provided.

Other than the Star Wars and what you term "1979 Topps Chewing Gum" all cards are "Junk Wax" Era which is approx 1987-1993.  During the pandemic collectible bubble 10's and some 9's depending on the card were going for rather decent coinage.  Now there is pretty much zero interest if not a 10 and 10's are difficult to move in some cases.

"1979 Topps Chewing Gum"  those are 1979/1980 Wacky Packages re-issues. A very low demand set. From your pics the condition is optimistically middle grade (PSA 4,5,6) Even in PSA 8 they are not worth grading.

The Star Wars stuff definitely has a market but the bubble burst has hit those as well  PSA 9's are way, way down compared to last year. 7's and below except for some outlier cards are not worth grading. Based on your pics I see nothing that would score an 8. It is a condition sensitive set. As for the Star War stickers the pics do not show if they have the common pack seal line pattern, if they do they are PSA 6 at best and break even in terms of cash outlay but the time you get them back from grading it may represent a loss of $.  If they do not have the sealing line pattern then you may have some 7's or 8's. Keep in mind centering is a huge deal in getting grades higher than 8 from PSA. The first 2 stickers are badly off-center.

Card grading is much stricter than comics, magnification is employed, and centering is huge factor in getting above an 8. On PSA forums you will find many stories similar to yours and in every case what the inexperienced greenhorn thought was Mint or Perfect was at best middle grade. Which is great on pre 1974 and earlier sports cards but is the complete opposite for Junk Wax era stuff. Outlier like 1986 Fleer Jordan or during the bubble the 1989 UD Griffey Jr not withstanding

Current July 2021 Junk Wax Era general rule of thumb of grading costs and resale potential.:

PSA 10 = Profit usually, sometime great depending on card. Since Jan 2021 PSA has been miserly issuing 10's to the point Pro's who have submitted for 2 decades are very upset.
PSA 9 = Possibility of profit exists, but break even on all but outliers and cream of crop or GOAT type stuff.
PSA 8 = almost certainly a loss if not an outlier card. This is the normal grade of card taken from a newly opened pack back in the Junk Wax day
PSA 7 = almost certainly a loss if not an outlier card. This is the grade non-experienced neophytes usually think is "Mint" or "Perfect" or "Great" or "Nice"
PSA 6 = definite loss not sure if any card in the Junk Wax era is an outlier. Based on your pics you do not have any that qualify as that type of outlier of outliers

Apologies again for my bluntness.  IMHO there are many other ways to make a bit of money, keep these cards for the memories of your Dad and share them with your children one day.

P.S. If you have already sold these raw and have got what you feel is fair price then congrats!  Disagree with anything I wrote no issues and try https://forums.collectors.com/categories/sports-cards-memorabilia-forum
or
https://www.net54baseball.com/

Edited by MAR1979